Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
water filters

Water filters seem to be the conversation at breakfast this morning!! We cUrrently have a TASTE PURE KDF carbon type/model. She wants to spend 200-300 $ on a BERKEY Model. how necessary is a 250$ water filter filter these days. As I hook up to many hooks ups with neighbors I see a lot of TASTE PURE. Any negative experience with the average filter and who's the water in your neck of the woods?

THANKS

Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
Water filters seem to be the conversation at breakfast this morning!! We cUrrently have a TASTE PURE KDF carbon type/model. She wants to spend 200-300 $ on a BERKEY Model. how necessary is a 250$ water filter filter these days. As I hook up to many hooks ups with neighbors I see a lot of TASTE PURE. Any negative experience with the average filter and who's the water in your neck of the woods?

THANKS

Aren't those 2 totally different systems?

You use the KDF inline for your whole RV, correct?

But the Berkey is a countertop model that slowly filters drinking water, and for cooking, depending and with some planning. But AFAIK, the Berkey system does not have an inline filter for the whole RV?

We actually have used both in the past. But, we have had some issues where the Berkey was not enough - salt especially cannot be filtered out with a Berkey and one area we stay has a lot of dissolved salts. So, we have gone back to using 5 gallon jugs of water, and I actually installed a pump and tap for drinking and cooking. Here's a link to my post on the mod I did for it ... link

The "advantage" for us is that many water refill stores now have alkaline water, so water with some beneficial minerals added. There is a growing body of evidence that overly filtered water (like distilled and RO) is not optimum for health, long term.

So, for us -for now- we find we are leaving the Berkey at home, using an inline filter like the KDF for the whole RV (last couple of units have never had unfiltered water go in them). Then, we refill 5 gallon jugs with alkaline water.

The Berkey is a great system, but I believe where it shines is removing bacteria and heavy metals. Unfortunately, it isn't working for our needs just now.

I hope that helps!

Brad
Old 07-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The blue Taste Pure are the only ones we have used, and partly to keep particulate matter out of our system and partly to clean the water a bit. We try to not stay in parks with questionable water supplies, use bottled water for drinking, and if the water supply in a park appears to be less than safe, we just don't connect to the water and just use from our fresh tank.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
the rookie here. how do you know if a park has a crappy water system? Other then looking at the water before you check in. yes I guess I will start bring bottled water with us.............water the new oil!!
Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I will say this:
We've been from coast to coast, Florida to Alaska, Florida to the Canadian Maritime including Newfoundland. We run a sediment filter, then water softener, a carbon filter and for drinking another filter in the fridge. With all those miles we have drank the water from everywhere. We pay enough for Diesel we don't need to be paying for our water too.
Your choice and your money.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I will say this:
We've been from coast to coast, Florida to Alaska, Florida to the Canadian Maritime including Newfoundland. We run a sediment filter, then water softener, a carbon filter and for drinking another filter in the fridge. With all those miles we have drank the water from everywhere. We pay enough for Diesel we don't need to be paying for our water too.
Your choice and your money.

I think you might spend just as much or more in a year on your filters than we do on our basic filters and bottle water...

We go through about 1 or 2 @5 gallon jugs per week; at 25 cents per gallon, I don't stress about the couple bucks that costs. Then we use a couple simple filters per year at about $20 each.

But again, your choice and your money.

Brad
Old 07-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Blue camco filter and the a pair of iFilters whole house filters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NX153V...p_mob_ap_share

Fill the freshwater tank and drink up.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:10 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I just made up my own system using a couple syandard 10" canisters, a few fittings plus filters. The first filter is a low buck sediment filter, the second is a taste and nasties remover and not very low buck. That second filter can be whatever you feel that needs to be safe guarded against and can be pretty costly. The best thing with this system is that filter media is available at Amazon or you local big box store. That center pipe is to ground mount the assembly on a piece of 18" rebar pounded into the ground. It will soon be permanently mounted eventually behind the water convenience center. My cost less filters was less then $50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	9781  
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have been using the Camco KDF filters exclusively for years. It's only 20 micron filtration, but that's enough for safety of the lines in the rig. You can get then for less than $10 each in bulk, they're easy to use and last quite a long time compared to many other filter systems. I've researched other systems in the past year to find something I can mount in the rig, but honestly we never drink the water supplied by the CG and I travel with bottled water for drinking and cooking.
The KDF filters seem to do just fine and I can't justify a major expense for the few drops of water I might consume while showering or brushing my teeth. The main reason for the filter in my case is to protect the rig's plumbing and water heater from sediment and trash.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The more you know about filtering water for personal consumption, the more you know that one filter system will not work for all the different water supplied by sources all across the country. It's not difficult to sample water at a specific location and filter accordingly. Simply moving across town can change that chemistry considerably.

We use a 10" sediment/ general purpose filter just because. For drinking its bottled water only. Storing it and keeping the supply up is a hassle but we've never been sick over it either.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I use the clear20, green colored outside filter. It is a solid core carbon filter which does not develop any “water channels “ in the carbon, which can happen often with granular carbon based filters, and filters finer particles. We typically don’t use the fresh water tank for drinking water, but have on occasion if I have sanitized the system recently. We usually use store bought filtered drinking water. Most store bought drinking water is reverse osmosis filtered which is superior to most filter systems used in rv. Some folks have installed reverse osmosis filtration in their rigs, but not many. If I were full timing, I would definitely install one. Short of that, if you want to use some outside type filtration and use it for drinking/cooking I would install a sediment filter then a filter that will filter microbiological bugs and metals.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #12
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
I'm of the generation of drinking out of the hose. I'm still here!
We added one inline filter on our incoming fresh water line and have a Brita filter pitcher in the refrigerator. I'm good!
B&W 20k companion hitch
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #13
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
hose water always worked, and movies were 35 cents!!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
we are a mixture of all above,
5 micron carbon filter into water softener then into the trailer. Brita on the counter top for cooking and drinking with a case of bottled water hanging around. I find the Brita does a great job.
good luck and as you can see there are many opinions.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #15
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
Here's my setup. I was absolutely amazed at the stuff I found in the sediment filter the first time I changed it. I have it routed to go thru the filters then the softener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	9824  
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #16
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
This is the filter we use. It sits on the ground and the braided line has enough length to feed up into the water connection.

https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem....d-11db6ae3bf0f
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:00 PM   #17
Code80
Established Member

M.O.C. #25960
Berkey

We have spent the last 2 years in Quartzsite and are planning on spending several seasons there. The first year I only used a blue filter (5 micron) I soon discovered that the tds in the public water there was very high and plugged the filter fairly quickly (2 months). I put a Berkey on my Amazon wish list and our kids bought us one last year, we used it for cooking, drinking and our countertop ice maker. I also switched to the bigger blue filter and it lasted the 6 months we were there. However we have discovered from other RV'rs that the tds there also can harm your toilet, shower and faucet valves as 5 microns isn't small enough to remove the tds there. I am going to add a water softener this year. I will say we love our berkey, you just need kids to buy it for you lol.
Code80 is offline   Reply With Quote