Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Potty not holding water

Toilet was working fine all summer, all of a sudden it won't hold water in the bowel. I used some silicone grease on the rubber seal but did not help. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Make sure the seal is properly seated.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If the toilet that isn't holding water is the original toilet, a Thetford, replace it with a Dometic 310 or 320. I replaced ours at least seven years ago with a 310, and still have all the original parts in it, including the seal, and it still holds water just like when new, and I have never had to lube it with anything, and we full time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob and Nancy-- I had the same problem and went to one of the dollar stores and found a stiff bristled ball shaped toilet brush I keep in the Monte. This brush just fits into the toilet exit hole and gasket with the bristles a little larger than the hole. When our toilet acts up like your has I just take that, I just take the brush and while the water is running into the toilet I brush the hole and gasket vigorously and turning the brush as I do this. This cleans the gasket as well as the pipe below the toilet. Just remember to hold onto the brush because if it falls into the pipe it will be quite difficult to get it out and you don't want it to go into the black tank. After cleaning the gasket and etc, I take an old tooth brush and put some plumbers grease all around on the gasket. This lubes the gasket and also creates a seal between the gasket and the toilet ball that seals the toilet bowl from the pipe. This process takes about 5 minutes and the cleaning and plumbers grease is good for at least two months. Also always remember to put water back into the toilet bowl after flushing or the gasket will dry out and will not seal. I always put some of the RV anti-freeze (pink stuff) in the bowl when winterizing the unit so the gasket will not dry out during the winter or non-use.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used to have all kinds of fixes for this including replacing the seal. Over the years most of us found that nothing really worked until we replaced the Tetford with a Dometic.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
Mine went back to the dealer 3 times in about 90 days when new for not holding water. The last time they "fixed" it it held water but leaked around the base every time you depressed the flush valve, said it couldn't possibly be their fault. A Dometic solved the problem. Dealer lost a customer.
riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What is the difference between a Dometic 310 and 320? I can get either?

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
310 = round bowl
320 - elongated bowl

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
What is the difference between a Dometic 310 and 320? I can get either?

Thanks
The 320 is more compatible with a bidet if your so inclined to install one.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
In any case, when installing a Dometic, opt for the extra spray hose. I think it was less than $50 extra but is really handy to keep the toilet clean and to clean up around the gasket seal without getting too messy.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
At the urging of the Montana owners members, I just replace my toilet with the Dometic 320. My original toilet only lasted 1 year before the seal failed. After having replaced the seal a few times in my last FW, the Dometic was the right choice.
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Bob and Nancy-- I had the same problem and went to one of the dollar stores and found a stiff bristled ball shaped toilet brush I keep in the Monte. This brush just fits into the toilet exit hole and gasket with the bristles a little larger than the hole. When our toilet acts up like your has I just take that, I just take the brush and while the water is running into the toilet I brush the hole and gasket vigorously and turning the brush as I do this. This cleans the gasket as well as the pipe below the toilet. Just remember to hold onto the brush because if it falls into the pipe it will be quite difficult to get it out and you don't want it to go into the black tank. After cleaning the gasket and etc, I take an old tooth brush and put some plumbers grease all around on the gasket. This lubes the gasket and also creates a seal between the gasket and the toilet ball that seals the toilet bowl from the pipe. This process takes about 5 minutes and the cleaning and plumbers grease is good for at least two months. Also always remember to put water back into the toilet bowl after flushing or the gasket will dry out and will not seal. I always put some of the RV anti-freeze (pink stuff) in the bowl when winterizing the unit so the gasket will not dry out during the winter or non-use.
Me too!
Old 08-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
N132EA

M.O.C. #24827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Toilet was working fine all summer, all of a sudden it won't hold water in the bowel. I used some silicone grease on the rubber seal but did not help. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
If that is the Model 210, you need to get the seal replacement kit. Since the problem is the same as mine (and I used the provided tongue depressor to “rough up the seal three times), a RV tech told me it is easy —loosen the collar, remove the clam shell, replace the seal and reassemble. That I will do when I can.
PS Read the instructions that came with your unit as I skipped most.
Bob
N132EA is offline   Reply With Quote