Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Survey on Satellite TV

We are debating on satellite Auto Dish with Dual, for 2 TV's, what is your opinion on this one? Winegard PL-8000 White Dish Playmaker Dual OR any better suggestions? Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
If you can swing it, the Winegard Travl’r is the Cadillac. It will handle multiple TV’s, convenience of push button and does a great job. The portable dishes that you set out work fine. I am assuming you have Dish. DirecTV will not get HD off of the portable dishes like the G2. The other advantage of the Travl’r is it doesn’t have to reposition between satellites.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
We had the Dish dual antenna and ended up getting rid of the whole system. I found myself spending considerable vacation time messing with it and trying to get a signal. In addition, I had to route the cable through a window and wire it directly to the box in order for it to work. To us it wasn't worth it, since we usually are out and about doing other activities. Since we have a smart TV, a hotspot device from T-Mobile (Franklin), and the standard cable at most sites, we are much happier and less frustrated. If full timing, I'd look at a better system.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
You will get MANY opinions on this topic and everyone's is the best. For 10 years full-timing I used a Dish Network 1000.2 dish (regular HD dish) mounted to a surveyor's tripod using the mounting mast kit from TV4RV.com. My receiver was the Dish Network Hopper3 and worked great just like being home. After setting up a couple of times you can have it up in 10 minutes and watching anything on TV that you are subscribed to in all HD. You can place the tripod wherever necessary to "see" the satellite(s) you wish and it doesn't have to be moved until you break camp and as a bonus nobody wants to steal such a system. I have had this system as far as 200' from the RV and did not hurt my reception at all.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Update on satellite

We forgot to mention we do have Dish network and when we had it installed by Dish Network, a service tech did a magnificent job because he cut out all the splitters. Now, all the TV's are wired separately from the convenience center where there is 3 TV hook-ups and they are marked separately Living Room.... ..Bedroom.....and the one outside. We have the old tri-pod one that you have to set up manually, such a hassle. It does work great when you once get your signal but need something less complicated!

We REALLY appreciate the Dish tech man that did an incredible job!
Old 05-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZIN 2 View Post
We are debating on satellite Auto Dish with Dual, for 2 TV's, what is your opinion on this one? Winegard PL-8000 White Dish Playmaker Dual OR any better suggestions? Thanks in advance
It sounds like you have settled on one of two options. But as WeBeFulltime wrote, there are other options to consider.

I started with DirecTV and a portable round dish antenna. I could hold it in my hand and find a signal in minutes. But that was before HD. With HD, I moved to the SL3 open face antenna mounted on a tripod assembly from TV4RV (great product). Setting up a SL3 is pretty easy once you get some practice. If it takes more than 10 minutes start to stop, I have done something wrong.

The larger SL3 captures a stronger signal and allows you to place the antenna hundreds of feet away if necessary (and out west it is often necessary). Plus it sees *ALL* the satellites at the same time so there is no delay changing channels or recording multiple programs at the same time from different satellites.

As I get older, I get lazier and eventually installed a roof top automatic antenna (RF Mogul a better product than the Winegard IMHO). I love being able to just push a button to set up the antenna system. But I still have my SL3 and TV4RV tripod for those times when the RF Mogul is blocked by trees.

With a large open face antenna both Dish and DirecTV allow you to use a Hopper or Genie DVR capable of recording multiple (up to 7?) programs at one time. I am grandfathered into DirecTV's Distant Network Service (DNS) which are the network broadcast channels from N.Y. and L.A. These are available everywhere in the US, plus most of Canada, and Mexico. This allow me to record networks shows (seems to be fewer all the time) on the East Coast feed and watch them that evening after dinner. And I never have to change the recording channels as I move around the country - they are always the same.

Did I mention I really dislike commercials and use recordings to time shift everything I watch? For local TV (weather and news) we use the OTA antenna. Admittedly, we like TV. There are over 100 shows in our recording list. Many are seasonal so it isn't as bad as you think. A full fledged DVR system has proven to be perfect for out needs.

P.S. Plus the satellite system works just fine when boondocking with no Internet service. Try that with your streaming service.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We’ve had our Dish Trav’ler system with two boxes, one for each TV, now two Wallys and have the external hard drive for recording shows on each one, and have been using this since January of 2013. The system has been very reliable, and yes, at times we have tree issues, but we are currently parked at Lake Siskiyou near Mt Shasta, and having been here many times in the past, I know which sites I can get satellite reception through the trees. No one else here that I see has a dish up and the cable system here isn’t working this year.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Roof versus Portable

I have done all the various versions, less the roof mount systems. As always each has a pro and a con. The roof mounts are great as long as where you park has that clear SW sky otherwise it is a zero reception. I currently use two Pathway X1 on a pedestal. These smaller auto-disc don't have the ability to pull a signal sometimes when you are limited to a certain hole to pull signal versus the larger dish but it is auto and simply to set up.

I use two of these so that I can have two TVs pulling from two separate satellites simultaneously since normally the wife wants to watch a certain channel that isn't on the same sat that I want to watch. Problem solved, two separate Pathways X1. The X1 is a little heavier system than the Tailgater, etc. since it is also recommended for use by truckers.

If you don't have that clear view sky, nothing is going to pull any signal.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Thanks for all of the info. we had to check out all the different options. Lots of good information, we have a Dish 1000.2 and I think that I may have damaged something on it. We could get one satellite and normally if we got one we could find another, not so this time.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Iphone hotspot turned on with ROKU. Netflix and hundreds others to subscribe to. Never had problem in remote Corps parks in Alabama. Would never go back to satellite.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Since 2011 (started full timing) I'm sad to say we have had 3 Traveler (DirecTV) systems installed on top of our different RVs. Prices varied anywhere from $1,800 to $2,400 each time.

The problem I had was getting my local channels changed when we were traveling through DirecTV. As far as the dish on top of the RV went it worked great all the time.

When we purchased our current fiver we decided that DirecTV had to go. We went with a Playmaker/Wally. Now when we set up camp I simply put the dome outside, open the Iphone app and change my location, and within a short time we have all the locals. In addition we have about 100 more channels and it is around $60 cheaper per month.

We are extremely happy with the Dish Playmaker and tailgater outdoor package.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #12
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
I have the 1000.2 with the hybrid head and use the hopper3. After buying things like the birddog(spelling) and others, i found that after getting some kind of signal, i use the tone from the box to get it dialed in, works great, im up in a few minutes. Oh and i cover the outside 2 white receivers on the head of the hybrid and find the 119 sat, then do the above. I would get the travelor but with a 50/50 chance of not being able to use it, it makes no sense. Now if they made a travelor on a tripod then yes.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
meagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #27563
I have had a Trav'ler DISH SK 1000 HD satellite for many years on my last fifth and had another installed on my new 3121RL. It is an excellent system. I use my home DVR and the wireless Joey in my RV. I don't have to pay any additional fees that way. Personally, I love the system. Just push a button and your are done.
meagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We in the past set up our Driect-TV satellite system, mounted on a try-pod. I also set up our own Hughes Net satellite system for Computer's. Then we discovered wire less system for internet, and Wineguard dish mounted on top of the RV, we had that system on 3 5th wheels, drop the jacks, hit the button in almost instant Direct-Tv. The system was automatic. We will be going with the roof mount system. Trees are the enemy, however I try very hard never to park under a Tree. Tree's are a hazard.
Good luck with our choice.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #15
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
We've had a Pathways X1 with a Dish Wally for many years. Got spoiled when we got a Hopper 3 at home. Installed a Travel'er and take Hopper 3 when we travel. Still travel with Pathways and Wally in case trees block the Travel'er.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #16
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
We use two separate dish sat's/re'cvrs for two separate TV's. Have "Satefinder Lite" on cell phone (a free app) that locates direction/attitude of the three sat's needed, gives me the ability to check the best location to plant those dish sat's on our road-trip stops.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
jcmiller

M.O.C. #18551
I have a Winegard for dual connections. Since there is only one LNB you can only watch channels that the main receiver is tuned in to.
jcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #18
jaidinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #21840
We have Winegard mounted to roof with automatic satellite detection. No more tripod or other ground based systems. Love the convience we have
jaidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:11 PM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have always had Dish and used a variety of antenna's until we got a Traveler and have never gone back.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:03 PM   #20
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Had Dish in RV, have DirecTV at house.

Exclusively been streaming Netflix, HBO, etc. in the RV the last two years. If my phone works, streaming works. If it doesn't, I have downloaded content on phone or iPad from the streaming services which I can "cast" to TV.

Also, without satellite service, I find I spend far less time channel surfing and have progressed back to doing much more reading. It's nice to have weaned ourselves from TV.