Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Tire Valve Core

Are all tire valve cores the same? I have an interesting problem. Went to the shop today and found one of my tires flat. This is the same tire that I replaced the valve core in a while back. The reason the valve core was replaced? After adding air, it would not spring into the closed position. So, today I added air using my Milton inflator; got it up to 110psi, pulled the inflator off and same problem. This is the second valve core to do it. Ok, I put a third new valve core in; same thing. Now I'm starting to suspect the Milton inflator is somehow damaging the valve cores so I used a different air chuck; same results with third core; will not seal. A little experimentation found that if I unscrewed the valve core a few turns, it would pop closed. Then I could tighten it back up and it would hold. That is the condition now; I'll check for a flat in the morning but not hopeful.

I cannot swear to it (blaming it on old age memory loss), but I think I had a similar issue on a different tire, but only replaced the valve core once and all is well.

So here is the question. Are all valve cores equal? Maybe I have some junk and need to look for better ones. I did a Google search and did not find much.

I just had another thought; I use the 507 TPMS with cap style (not flow through) sensors. When these are on, the valve core is continuously held open. Could this be causing an issue? I don't really think so, because a lot of people use this system and I have never heard of a problem. I don't leave the sensors on all year; I take them off for the winter.

I guess my next step is to try to find some high quality valve cores or replace the valve stem on that wheel.

Anyone else experienced this? Suggestions?

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:17 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have the EEZRV TPMS with similar sensors to what you have with the TST. I leave them on all year with no issues. I only remove them to add air when needed. My guess is the core you are using may be off spec a bit. If you can back off a little and get it to seal, then the spring may be weak or not seated correctly, etc. I don't think it is being caused by the TPMS sensors though. I'd look into getting new cores and see if that fixes the problem.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
At this point I would replace the whole stem assembly.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I had a stem fail last year while on the road. My TST system alerted me and I was able to get off the road and change the tire out. My valve stems were less than two years old and even though we are full timers I take my button sensors off if I am stationary for 2 weeks or longer.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Update. I pulled the old old valve core (#3) out of the trash and see why it was leaking, but no idea what caused the damage. See photo #1.

Since the one I had in there (left rear tire) had stuck once, I did not trust it and replaced it. I pulled the core out and found the orange extension cap on the valve core; see photo #2 (top). Now, this is where it starts to get weird. I am 100% sure that cap was not on the core I installed a couple days ago. The one I installed was like photo #2 bottom; got a whole pack of them. Thinking senility was setting in, I figured I must have worked on the front left not the rear left. Pulled the core out of the front tire; also has a cap on it. I'm not so far gone that I could be on the wrong side of the 5th wheel.

So, two questions:

1. What is that cap on the end of the valve core?

2. Which one of you guys got into my shop and changed it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-02 18.16.22-crop.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	9090   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-02 18.40.42-crop.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	905.5 KB
ID:	9091  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote