Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Briquettes or Gas?

I have always been a big fan of BBQing using briquettes. I like to bank the coals and use the indirect heat to cook. A few hickory or mesquite chips add a little extra flavor that makes my day. One reason I so big on using briquettes is I’ve never been able to master a gas grill. Over the past few years, especially during the winter, and since we have been RVing, I have started thinking gas is the way to go. No need to carry a bag of briquettes, much easier to clean, and less worry about igniting a fire that torches half the wilderness. What can those of you who have an expertise in using a gas grill do to make what you cook as good as wood?

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Joe-n-Doe, just my opinion, I use the gas, several reasons. Don't have to carry the briquettes, and don't have to wait for them to get hot. Have to carry gas any way for the furnace, fridg, and water heater. Maybe its my taste buds, but after the gas grill gets "seasoned" I don't notice any difference, then again I usually use BBQ sauce, a Rub, or Seasoning.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe, I have used hickory chips in my gas grill for years. Soak a handful for about 30 minutes, then wrap in foil, poke holes in foil, place on grill before adding meat, wait for it to start smoking, then add the yum yum. Mouth is watering as we speak. I also use a product called "liquid smoke" to marinade tri tip and other meats. Love the taste, the longer you soak the more smoke flavor.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil is correct, his method also works for mesquite.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Joe I am with you. I still use charcoal. I have tried on three different gas grills and all I seem to accomplish is burning everything to a crisp. I have decided it best I stick to charcoal when grilling. I don't do much kitchen cooking anytime of the year.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Joe, I think we have found the marinade works well for us. We sometimes will marinade overnight for more flavor. When you marinade, you are open to any taste you can think of! Some of our best lately were purchased already marinaded from the meat cutter and flash frozen. Chipotle pork chops, GREAT!!!!!

On edit, I forgot to tell you my grill is a Coleman gas grill, porcelain coated cast iron grate. The grill looks just like a Coleman gas stove when folded up.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Hey I dont care what yall cook with you are killing me hahaha. I could this thead all night lol!!! bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The "Costco" in Federal Way WA. has the "Camp Chef 3 burner stove for $169.99 item number (250832).

http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item...er+Cooker.html
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I also use a product called "liquid smoke" to marinade tri tip and other meats. Love the taste, the longer you soak the more smoke flavor.
Phil, when we lived in Southern Calif we became big fans of Tri-tip. When we moved to the East Coast nobody ever heard of it. It is now available here. Big problem we have with it out here is quality. We had a long string of real skunky cuts from both CostCo and Publix. Bad enough the wife said No More. One real problem with it out here is they trim the fat cap off it. When we use to do it Santa Maria style we would leave the fat cap on it until after it had been cooked. That, some beans, salsa, a salad, and bread....damn I haven't had breakfast yet and my mouth is watering!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe, That did it for me. It's definitely going to be a tri tip night......HONEY, get that stuff marinading!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Here is a variation, I use lump charcoal. We carry a "mini" big green egg and I wouldn't be without it even though we also carry a camp stove and gas. I also have a great camping setup for my "small" BGE. http://www.brickner.com/db/activitie...e/campegg.html Now that we have the Cambridge I no longer use the hitch carrier shown on the webpage as the "small" fits inside the basement. Still, we don't carry this setup much unless we are going to be in one place for a while. I once smoked 3 pork butts overnight in the small for a gathering on Drummond Island. I fed pulled pork to eighteen people. You can't do that on a gas grill.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Great looking setup in the truck--lots of good ideas for me. One comment--I don't think you can tow a Monty with the tailgate down unless you only plan to go straight with no turns! I keep the tailgate closed when I am towing.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
In the "good" old days, you could tow with the tailgate down. Montana actually called it a feature. But it won't work with the Cambridge and I'm not sure about the newer Montanas. The one in the website was a 2004 3295RK and you can see there was a lot of room behind the hitch carrier.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We do some charcoal cooking with a dutch oven, but found the Weber Baby Q to be the best grill I've ever owned. It is the first grill I've ever had where the meat across the entire grill is done exactly the same.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ditto Ron & Terrie... I love my Weber Q. Marilyn has always preferred charcoal grills but I can't tell you the number of times I lit the coals, poured a cocktail and had some visitors stop by....for another cocktail. Before you knew it the charcoal was out. Too many nights with a third cocktail and Trix for dinner. At least now with the gas, I can stumble to the grill and light it after the 3rd drink, BBQ while making the 4th and not have to eat cereal for dinner!

Seriously, the convenience is worth it and the smoke is available if you want it. I also have the grill top for bacon or sausage in the morning without the odor in the RV. Gas is the way to go!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have the Weber Baby Q also. Does a good job.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am going down a different road on this topic, but first to answer the question, I like the final result of charcoal with a wood chip flavor for the food, different woods for different foods.
I am from Kansas City, we pride ourselves on the BBQ and smoked foods there. I took care of Ollie Gates' BBQ joints for 8 years, A/C, Electrical refrigeration and exhaust fans, we love our BBQ in K.C. I have a smoker,(wood pellet with a slow auger fuel supply) and 2 grills at the stick house.
In a crowded camp ground, heck, even one that is not crowded, I think it is irresponsible and rude to have the nasty lighter fluid smoke, and the charcoal fire drift into a neighbor's R.V. It smells like a darn trash fire. A nice day, windows open and all of a sudden, you get that air pollution in your camper.
We have had to close all windows and turn on the A/C.
Think about it, your fire is fun, and smells like dinner, others' fires smell like trash burning. I don't like that smell in my living space.
Same goes for the patio wood burning ritual in the evening. Makes me a little crazy.....
Should be outlawed in my opinion.
Ozz the grump.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Friday nite at Palmdale in the RGV it is time to cook your own meat on the outback charcoal grill. We put in 40 lbs of charcoal, add the starter fluid to get it going and look out. We have about 50 guys or ladies trying to cook what they have after about an hour of happy hour. We have the sign at the grill which reads it is 5 0'clock some where. In the hall we add the extras, and continue the meal and happy hours. Everyone loves the great time and no one has a complaint about the charcoal or fluid burning. Wind blows so fast you have to be up wind to cook and the smoke is gone in seconds. I try to cook on my charcoal grill here in the park often, I never get a complaint. Up in MI. we sit around campfires at the parks till 11 pm. and no one complains. It is a time for families and or or friends to shoot the bull. It is better than everyone crawling into their rv. at 5:00 P.M. to watch the tube or play on the computer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just because you don't hear a complaint, doesn't mean it isn't bothering someone.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I'm with you on this one Ozz. Our next door neighbor, who are very nice people, (and the houses here are not right next door, On 5 acre lots here), they have one of those back yard fire pits. Our whole house fills with smoke. My DH has a serious lung problem and I am closing windows, turning on the fans. Nothing seems to get the smoke out of the house fast enough. Don't notice it until house is full of smoke. Seems like the upstairs bedrooms, fill up before we notice the smoke.
Same with neighbor across the road and their out door grilling on charcoal. Stinks!
We have a gas grill. Works for us.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote