Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Axle bent

We are currently traveling in Alaska from the lower 48 and have driven over 4000 miles so far and noticed the inside tread on both tires on the rear axle was wearing quicker. Had the tires dismounted and reinstalled to wear the opposite side.

The rear axle on our 2009 Model 3455 is bent and needs replacing. Being in Anchorage is probably the best to have it replaced. Has anyone else had axles replaced? With what type of axle? What load rating? What was cost of replacement? Do you know the part numbers? Is it covered by extended warranties? Probably more questions, but appreciate any help you can give us.

PS. I believe the existing axles are 6000# rating. Would like to upgrade to 7000# rating. We did weigh the Monty and the axles on the RV came in at 13,000#.

Thanks for your help.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave, We had our rear axle replaced on the Monte while one our Snowbird trip to the Southwest this last winter. Ours was not bent, it has rusted through according to the axle shop we took it to and both wheels were rocking back and forth while he backed it into the shop. Our unit is a 2004 2980 and only had 5200# axles under it and we installed a new Dexter 7000# axle to replace it. They used hubs and all off the old axle and it cost us between $1100 and $1300. I don't remember which because we had two problems this last winter-- the rear axle on the Monte and the front landing gear and the gearbox also as our second expense.

When we got back to Omaha we noticed we had wear on the inside of the tires on the front axle. Took it to an axle shop here and the put the camber back into the axle and also aligned it. Have had no problems since and it's been on a couple trips of 600 miles plus since the alignment.

You might check with an axle shop up there to see if they can do that to yours! A whole lot cheaper only about $150 here. I'm sure they have plenty of axle shops up there because of all the heavy duty trucks and the roads up there. I'll contact Icehouse here on MOC and see if Tammy or Bernie know of a good one up there. They live up there full time and should have some info for you!

Let us know how your problem turns out. I'm also going to email you with something else.

Take care and have a great trip aside from the current problem.

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would crawl under the Monty and see what you have for axles. I think you will find they are 7000 lb. Your unit rates right up there with the heavier Montana's of that year. You should see a number on the sticker that says D-70 or D-60 that will tell you what axles you have.

If your weight on the RV axles alone is 13,000 lbs then you are sure pushing it for weight on either axle. The 7000 lb Dexter axle is rated for 6750 lbs.

I just replaced both mine on warranty due to spindle problems. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Have a safe trip.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bikefever

...I believe the existing axles are 6000# rating. Would like to upgrade to 7000# rating. We did weigh the Monty and the axles on the RV came in at 13,000#...
Did you somehow include the pin weight in that 13k? If the axles alone are 13k, there's your problem.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I changed mine a couple of year back
Got the new ones from dexter
Cost about $138.00 each
Installed myself , I went from 5200# to 7000#
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
June 24, 2013. Dexter Axle Company 2900 Industrial Parkway E. Elkhart, IN, 46511 RE: Tire replacement due to faulty axle. Attn: Connie Massie/Warranty Administrator. Dear Connie: We own a 2011 Keystone High country fifth wheel. On June 12, 2013 I replaced all the tires because of excessive wear on the inside near the rear axle. According to the e-mail that you sent me, that type of wear can indicate either overloading or an axle alignment problem. I feel overloading can't be the problem because we stay in campgrounds with full hook-ups and we do not haul water between campgrounds. On May 23, we took the trailer to Badger Utility Inc. of Madison to assist us in the measurements as outlined in your e-mail. Enclosed is a hard copy of the alignment you requested on April 11 via e-mail. We feel that there was a quality issue with the axle construction. The axles are rated at 5,200 pounds each, but I am not sure how this rating was reached. We feel that we will need new axles installed before another failure occurs. Can the Dexter Axle Company stand behind its product and help us with this? Thank you, Connie, for your past assistance on this matter. I hope that the Dexter Axle Company will stand behind its product and help us resolve this situation. Sincerely, E.E. Nichols
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
On our 3455 the axles are 7000# derated to the max. Load capacity of the Marathon tires that came with it.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote