Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
I called Progressive Industries about this. It a surge protector that's built into the interior power lines, not one that plugs into the pedestal. After putting a meter on it with them on the phone we found that only one leg of the power going into the protector was hot. Kind of rules the protector out as being bad.
I have actually had my whole breaker panel/converter out of the wall in the bathroom. In my unit there is no surge protector built in, that is interesting. My panel has a Black wire (hot) White wire (neutral) Red wire (hot) and ground. I would expect to see voltage on the Black and Red wires. This is the case with mine whether plugged into a 50 amp service or a 30 amp service. The Monty with 50 amp service is wired with 4 wires as in 220v that is why there are the 2 main breakers in the panel, one for each 120v leg. If you have 120v on say the left side of the panel the circuits breakers on the left side should be live. If it was the left side and yours is wired like mine then the right side second breaker in from the right is the power to the converter. Therefore the breakers on the right would have no power and you would have a non operating converter which would not supply 12v to the battery or the 12v lighting and other uses of 12v in the unit. This converter is capable of 90 amps and will run all the required 12 applications, including the hydraulics even with a dead battery.

If you are plugged into a 30a service or 15a service you would need an adapter cable, since 30a only has 120v on one leg, this adapter cable crosses the 120v over to put power to both live wires in the 50a cable. There may be a problem with this adapter, that would explain having only 120v on one side of the distribution panel.

Quote:
quote:
Battery is new, less than a week old, full charged. Funny thing is when I hook the trailer up to the truck I get exterior lights but not enough power to run the slides in or out.
When you are plugged into the TV one of the wires in the plug is hot all the time, this provides some charge when you are hooked up and running your unit down the road. It is a small wire and certainly would not give you enough current to run the hydraulics. but would explain why you have 12v lights at that time.

I am sure the dealer will find your problem quickly when he gets at it and I have a feeling it might just be your adapter cable.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #22
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Update... 16 days so far.

I talked with Chris the service manager today who told me that my trailer was in getting checked today to go over the electrical problems and I should hear back later today what is wrong. That's good but he also told me they would be checking it out earlier on the 14th, which never happened.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Resolution!! A completely fried transfer switch... melted wires, blackened plastic on the inside. Told I was lucky that there wasn't a fire. The service manager said there was a recall on this and didn't I get a notice from Keystone? Nope. Completely covered by the warranty.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
trlrboy wrote:
Quote:
quote: Resolution!! A completely fried transfer switch... melted wires, blackened plastic on the inside. Told I was lucky that there wasn't a fire. The service manager said there was a recall on this and didn't I get a notice from Keystone? Nope. Completely covered by the warranty.
May I ask trlrboy where this "transfer switch" is located in your 3400 and did the recall only apply to the 2010 models.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Ignore my last post trlrboy, the light finally went on here in this waterlogged part of the world. I gather your unit came "generator ready" and had the transfer switch installed, in fact perhaps with the generator installed as well.

That was about the only option my 3402 did not have from the factory. I installed my own manual transfer switch and it works great.

The addition of the Transfer switch into the equation certainly makes a difference in diagnosing electrical issues. Glad your problem is solved and the repair was covered under warranty.

Makes you wonder though about the recall notifications doesn't it.

Edit for spelling...Doh....
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #26
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear they finally came thru for you and that you didn't have that fire!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote