Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
barton8090

M.O.C. #17979
Keyless entry

Hi all, we have a 2014 model 3582RL and have been thinking about installing a keyless entry system, any info on brands and install process would be helpful, thanks

barton8090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I bought the "AP Products 013-509" from Amazon. Very happy with it. Manufacturer will replace it w/o question if something goes wrong. Just don't take it apart and try and fix it yourself or you'll get a tongue lashing from the operator who answers the phone "we do not sell replacement parts" I received a whole new unit even though the $1.00 motor is all that died.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have had three systems installed by Lippert themselves and the keyless part crapped out on all three within a short period of time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
We have the RVLock model RVLv3.0 (the one without the integrated keypad). We have the remote keypad mounted just below the lock and we also have the remote keyfob. Installation was very simple, takes about 15 minutes if you have to slightly enlarge the original lock opening like I did. Otherwise it's about a 10 minute job.

Sometimes it takes two attempts on the keypad to get the lock to operate. The remote only works over a few feet at the most. It is handy to have the keypad entrance, most of the time the remote stays in the truck and does not get used.

The lock does not have a visual indication on the outside that the lock operated, so you have to listen to hear the motor operate or try to open the door to see if it locked. It would be great if it had an LED on the outside that lights up when the motor in the lock operates.

We got ours on a close out at Camping World for about $50, so it was a great deal. Regular price of these is about $250 for the new v4.0(integrated keypad) lock, remote, and two keys. That seems a bit high to me, if I had to pay full price I don't think I would get one.

We go through a set of batteries in the lock about once a season. Whichever brand lock you get, be sure to always have a trailer key with you. Since these are electronic, they WILL fail some day at the absolute wrong time.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238

Whichever brand lock you get, be sure to always have a trailer key with you. Since these are electronic, they WILL fail some day at the absolute wrong time.

Dave
[/quote]

Well, with the above statement, I guess my question would be.......why have the electronic/touchpad lock in the first place, if you still need to carry a key????
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
They are good, when they work on rainy days with your hands full and it's manditory that you have one if you're going to enter the "My mods are better than your's" campfire contests
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
No doubt that a keyless entry provides convenience, but with all fancy gadgets, problems may occur and a key is an override in that case.

We don't have keyless entry, cuz my gadget wishlist is too long and costly and this hasn't trickled to the top. I would imagine any lock improvement would be better than the crappy manufacturer's RV lock system, but now my rig is almost 10 years old and I just make sure I park next to newer, better-looking rigs so any breakin desire goes elsewhere.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote