Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
[/quote]

I believe that I am happy to read your comments as today I bought an F350 diesel Dually and I am praying fervently that I will remain within specs for the trailer weight, but know that i am closer than with the 250 SRW. Will be going to the scales as soon as feasible.
Thank You!
[/quote]

Congratulations Jewels! You will not be disappointed. The other thing I always try to tell people, which I forgot, is we ordered ours with the camper certification. This is why I try to convince everyone to get the dually. I don't have it in front of me, but the camper cert. which tells how much you can put in the bed, only came in at about 3700 pounds. You certainly cannot go by the brochure weights for pin weight, or payload (which is almost 6,000 pounds). With our front living rooms, they are heavy on the tongue, not to mention I have the Onan genset up front as well as two six-volt batteries.

Congrats again, and enjoy your new truck and trailer!!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Jewels: I did an update topic which talks about my MPG. It's nowhere near your 250s highway numbers. The big difference in the F450 and F350 are in the turning radius numbers, the F450 wheels are out further, thus better turning. The max tow of F450 is slightly higher than similar F350 but payloads nealy identical, mine was ordered max tow option . But the two trucks are not all that different. Its worth noting, here in CA, both our trucks surpass the CHP weight requirements for non commercial trucks. I don't display the CA #s, or permit, but was forced to get them. I got pulled over (first week i owned truck) near Cottonwood CA for not stopping at nearby weigh station. $2800.00 in attorney fees, four meetings with CHP in Sacramento later, I lost my appeal. Our trucks (F350/F450) technically are "not pickups" by at least CA, regulations. Sign's clearly say no "pickups" at each weigh station. Exception is during towing your "personal" RV. If not towing, I have to stop and technically so do you, however F350s are often ignored by CHP. Each time I stop I get waved pass. This is because manufacturers are building bigger triucks, but DMV in CA, is using old weight charts. Same argument inre insurance. The "only" insurance company who would write a "personal use policy" was Geico. The others would not touch the F450, and it was a $2500.00 a year premimun difference! My wife wanted and suggested we replace emblems on truck! Lol. Not bad idea....FYI the CHP officers agreed with me "off the record" but we're bound by old unupdated regulations.... (AAA also has a No F450 towing policy) that argument I won with last F450! Glad I don't work, could not have found time to fight these battles....
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Wow, that just sucks Artemus! I had heard about a possibility of insurance issues, but I told my agent the 450 is sold as a non-commercial truck now, as well as on the commercial side, and he said we could have insured an F450 as a personal vehicle - very strange. Sorry to hear about your troubles and that fine...
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Sea hunter not a problem, just something to deal with, living in California! Funny how we are a Nation that shares vastly different rules, from one place to another!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote