Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Adding Accessories to P/U

OK all you old timers. I posted this on iRV2 initially.. but, figured EVERYONE on this forum is into towables.. and no MH's... so, it's likely to be a great place for help. I'm not sure where this fits.. but, was wondering if I can start something to get some ideas.

I have an '05 Chev P/U.. 4x4 Dura-Max with CrewCab and Long bed. Only things I've done so far is to add a rail high tool box after doing a Line-X spray and added my B&W Companion hitch.

What I'd like is some ideas for the console or elsewhere. I want to find a clean way of installing some accessories. What do I have?

Garmin GPS and a tire pressure monitoring system. I'm sure there MIGHT be more in the future.. such as a ham radio and a radar detector.. but, I'm usually never going more than 5 mph over the posted limit. But, it would be fun to have anyhow.

The big issue I have are all the umbilical cords going from the lighter/acc sockets to the accessories. they are unsightly, inconvenient, etc. While I'd prefer not to drill holes in the dash lid.. I'd guess it will have to be done.

Maybe the first step would be coming up with a 'sanitary' mounting method on the dash to put, at least, the GPS and the TMS in place. The next item would be powering them up. I'd guess a separate line thru the firewall to the battery would be the ticket for that.

Any ideas or threads you can point me to?

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
You may want to think about airbags to beef up the rear end of the truck. They made a differance in my truck but it is a 2002 Ford F250 4 door short bed.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Thanks, i'll probably do that later. I towed a MUCH heavier Hitchhiker with this rig as is and it didn't stress the springs or travel so that headlights were objectionable to oncoming drivers.

Right now, the priorities are in the cab.

Bill
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You should have some unused fuses in either the fuse panel by the left door or the one under the hood. I wouldn't hook anything up directly to one of the batteries.

Additionally, I would hook up to fuses that were only hot when the ignition was on.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Install a dash mat, run your wires under mat and it will stop you from drilling your dash. Run you wires up the driver side pillar and bring them out on top of dash. Run all off of keyed, except GPS, if you keep it hot you won't have to wait for it to boot up. Some will not kick over to battery mode if plugged in. Also makes it nice when sitting in CG or by the side of the road to look at you route without powering up.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On ours we use the multiple 12v outlets (got them at a truck stop) and then if the wires are getting in the way we use some of the black plastic wire consolidating material (looks kind of like a hose with a slit up one side) like you would use in an office.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
check out www.arkon.com or www.pro-fit-intl.com - GPS mounts for sure, perhaps something for the TPMS too. Check the Duramax Diesel Forum to find info on where to draw power from under the dash.
This is how I did it for an '08, http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51278 might not be the same for an '05.
-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Thanks folks. I could have sworn that someone mentioned adding some shelves for things like I'm wanting to add. Seemed they were added at the top of the windshield between the ceiling console and the attaching point of the sun visors. Dang if I can find them. Possibly I saw it on a different forum.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think if you do an internet search for a "visor shelf" you should find some sources and options. I understand some companies don't make theirs any more, but their just might be some good sources out there. I have seen shelves that go all the way across and dual shelves that mount on either side of an overhead console.

Regarding the air bags. Just remember air bags will help with headlight aim and making the ride more comfortable but they DO NOT increase any weight ratings, even though many salesmen will say otherwise. These salesmen are wrong!!! In my case, they also helped lessen chucking, sag and completely smoothed out the ride when towing. I love mine (even though I paid too much)!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote