Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Northern Tool Diesel Tank

I am looking at a Northern Tool 25 gal plastic diesel tank with electric pump (DC) to extend my towing ability in my 2012 F-250 diesel. I would only need it when I tried to get past 200 miles without a stop. The F250 only has a 26 gal tank. Anyone used this set up to make skipping tight diesel pumps while towing?

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
All of my research has led me to a Northern Tool 60 gallon auxiliary tank with a connection to the original tank via the fill spout. The other alternative as mentioned in posts to answer my question was a replacement tank for your OEM tank that can increase capacity to the 60 gallon range without putting anything in the bed of the truck. It might be worth reading through ome of the other threads for information or to keep researching the different possibilities.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I have a northern tool 50 gal. tank.. Don't think I would go with a plastic tank since a more secure metal is just a few $ more. Had mine in a 250 also and installed a small diesel pump wired to an up fitter switch, it's now in the 350.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have researched virtually all types of auxilary and transfer tanks. My goal is to carry a maximum of 20 gallons extra for towing since our daily tow limit is about 330-350 miles at about 10 mpg. Then remove the tank when it is not needed. The larger capacity metal tanks are heavy and exceed my needs as well a being more expensive. But--I have not been to Northern Tool to fully check out what they have. I got the suggestion from my mechanic who has serviced all my cars for over 35 years. One reviewer on the Northern Tool site said that they used the tank for the same thing that I want to use it for--increase distance traveled when towing. So--more research--thanks for the replies.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
Old 03-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You got me curious and I had to take a look-see. That is a good idea since the tank only weighs 21 pounds empty! Our goal is a little different which is why I want to get close to 100 gallons on board. Fuel in our state averages about 25-30 cents more per gallon than surrounding states. I figure I can pay for the larger more expensive tank in 30,000 miles or so with the fuel savings. Knowing your intentions, your decision makes perfect sense. If you are interested, I believe it was a Titan tank that was the replacement type, they are expensive however, but will double your capacity and require no lifting or pumping at all. Seems like they pretty much double the OEM capacity if I recall correctly.
Bingo
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
You might want to look at this site http://atitank.com/ They can custom build you a auxiliary tank or sell you a stock tank. All of their tanks are aluminum. They include a kit to connect to your vehicle tank. The cost of the kit is part of the tank price.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bingo ... you realize that's going to be a bit over 700 LBS sitting in the back of your truck?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a long bed and therefore a 38 gallon OEM tank and being overweight at the pin precluded me from changing the tank. While I am content with my 400 mile range when towing, I rarely let the tank get that low and am refueling more than I'd like. I can see with a 26 gallon tank you'd want more range.

I believe the short bed might not be as bad off weight-capacity-wise since it's carrying less weight as a short bed, but be careful adding too much tank from the weight of the extra hardware and fuel. It's just something to consider.

What might be better is changing out the existing tank for a larger underbody tank. Still might have to worry about increased weight.

Best of luck to ya.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tim,
If you don't mind going "low tech" I've got a couple of diesel cans (plastic or composite) that you are welcome to have. That would give you enough to get to the next town down the road. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dieselguy,
Well aware of that, will be close on the truck "allowable" weight when the tank is full, but I am comfortable with that even if it creeps above it slightly, I have faith in the ol' bow tie. And now, we patiently wait for the weight police to chime in and tell me how wrong I am in even attempting this. If worse comes to worse, I will go on a diet......NOT!!
Bingo
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Dennis--next time we see each other--we can talk. I suspect if I drive to CA to see you--I will have a tank of some sort. Again--my goal. Add fuel capacity--10-15 gallons, easy to transfer to main tank, low weight when empty, can be removed from bed of truck when not towing, SAFE fuel transfer--OK--also the perfect solution!
Lots of fun to design my own solution--
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Foster
Established Member

M.O.C. #13302
I have a fuel tank that is custom built here locally. It is connected to my fuel tank using a small ball valve to open or close the fuel flow to the tank. This one is a 70gal tank with a tool box on top. He can build them any size you want, but they are a little pricy.
IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2gvtwfd.jpg[/IMG]
Please reduce the size of your picture to comply with MOC Picture Policy before you repost your photo. Thank you, RVWheels, MOC Admin.
Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Does anyone else see the picture is upside down? But I still get the idea. Great solution and custom will always be more expensive so you get what you pay for. I could never carry 70 extra gallons and almost 500 lbs in my truck bed, but this would work great for a dually.

Right now in my town, with a 38 gallon tank, an auxiliary of 70 gallons, that's 108 gallons of fuel or $450 for a fillup (last week it was $460). But a 1,300 mile range, too. WOW! That's how to be selective. I wish I had a dually.

EDIT: Had a little time... here's what I see now from Foster (MOC # 13302):

Nice setup. Storage and fuel!!! nice custom job! The ONLY thing I'd do different is the height of the storage part so that none if it is higher than the bed rails in the event of a very tight turn with a fifth wheel in tow. I've been there.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Again==great discussion. Looks like some are seeing where I am going. Extra weight from a metal tank is not going to win for me. I only am interesting in improving towing miles--and then only 100-150 miles total--only need 15 gallons for that. Got to keep the challenge to solve the problem in focus. The Northern Tool tank is 25 gallons that would allow me to double my fuel capacity--It was be very rare that I would load up 25 extra gallons. I have driven to Alaska and returned with a 36 gallon tank--no problem in over 10,000 miles of towing. I am starting to do measurements to see how the Northern Tool tank will fit. Also checking on the 12 VDC portable diesel fuel pump. I will post what I come up with and photos of my installation + costs.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Didn't I see a smaller plastic tank also on the Northern Tool site? There is also a gravity feed tank that comes with a farm nozzle that I have at home and use it to fuel our boat at the dock out front. I mounted it on a small steel garden cart to facilitate trips through the front yard. Anyway, it may be of interest to you. It weighs about 32 pounds empty. It is a Blitz 15 gallon such as this and could easily be bolted to a couple of 2 x 4's to make it tip-proof in the bed:
Blitz Portable Farm Tank
Bingo
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Foster
Established Member

M.O.C. #13302
Bingo that 15 gallon tank you found would be easy to tie into your fuel fill line with a tee. That is how my 70gal tank is connected to my truck and it just gravity feeds to the main fuel tank. You just have to remember not to pull your full fill cap off your main tank if the 15gal tank is full in the bed of your truck unless you add a ball valve between the 15gal tank and the truck tank.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Foster
Established Member

M.O.C. #13302
Art-n-Marge thanks for fixing my picture!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Foster,
I am planning on going with the 63 gallon wedge type from Northern Tools with the kit as you describe with the ball valve and t-connector. DW has given me permission for the purchase and I will be doing so very soon through Amazon. Interestingly enough if I order it from Northern Tool the shipping costs around $120, but I can get 10% off the price with a coupon code. Amazon sells for the same price as Northern Tool through Northern Tool ($529) but the shipping is only $52. Net savings through Amazon is still around $20. Odd since they all come from the same manufacturer?
Bingo
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
No problem Foster - I had a feeling I'd like what you tried to post and I was not disappointed.

To timansusan, since you are looking to gain only about 15 gallons, I would think you could do a search for a replacement OEM tank that goes from 26 gallons to about 40-45 but it might not be provided by northern tool. I know for my long bed truck there are some options for increasing my 38 gallon tank to several sizes larger. And by replacing the existing tank you don't lose any bed space.

In my case, the biggest issue I would have is the fuel gauge sending unit. I have heard stories that when changing out the OEM tank, to a large one, depending on the capacity that the fuel gauge will have some difficulty. But in your case, going from 28 to about 45 should not be an issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
OEM replacements are available for about $1000. Change will bring the capacity to 40 Gal if I remember correctly. I can beat $1000 easily with better designs for my application. I have communicated with other Monty owners who have replaced their OEM tanks in 2012 F250 diesels. Like I have said--lots of research! Also I don't mess up the Ford mileage and other info that is provided.