Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #41
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you may not care about the ford warranty but I am sure there are a lot of people here that can't afford to repair there engines if there is a failure,thats why they buy new and extend their warranties.I am saying not to advertise to people that is the way to do it when there may be a huge price to pay some day.nuff said...

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #42
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
mlh..... I'm wondering why you would tune a new Ford, but not tune a new Chevy. Are you saying the Duramax does not need tuning, and the Ford does? Just trying to figure our the reason.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

ok I am more informed ow one more thing if you are putting a premium in the truck do you still do better by adding the cetane still? I found it on sale at tractor supply for 12.99 bought two
If you buy premium it is already 45 cetane and you need not add anything. When in Florida for the winter we use Shell premium and add nothing else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tuning your truck is a individual choice and you take the risk. we have the ESP Ford warranty because we just can't afford the cost of a new diesel motor.
There is a lot of miss leading information out there and homework is required before you do anything.Besides the truck has plenty of power to pull this Montana. It is tow vehicle not a race car.

Again tune your motor..that's good just understand the risks. Then do it.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #45
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rick I wouldn't tune a Chevy because it has a 9th injector and does not inject fuel in the engine on the exhaust stroke for thr regen where some of it winds up in the oil like Ford and Dodge. The reason I tuned my truck was not for the power but because it had 13% fuel in the oil. I do now enjoy the power.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #46
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Our 2009 F250 6.4 has melted the insides of the Particulat filter. The truck had 65000 miles when it started blowing black smoke. The dealer and Ford said that it is not under warrenty or a recall. I was advised by ford to keep the receipts because there may be a recall at some point. We get about 6.5 mpg when towing.
Have looked at the new GMC with the duramax. Have not decided which way to go yet.
Not a happy camper on this.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #47
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
There are reasons to look at putting a tuner on your truck. I'm trying to read up on this issue right now. I waited until my warranty ended on my previous truck and put a mild chip in it. That was the best thing I did to that truck. Way more power and mpg went up. If you get a quality tuner/chip, these guys make changes and dyno..repeat...repeat squeezing out every bit of efficiency out of the engine. I think the big three should do this but they must not. We are all adults here. We can all read and learn and make decisions based on this knowledge thus accepting the consequences, good or bad. It is illegal to remove or modify emission equipment on our vehicles. It was also illegal to modify your 1974 car by flipping the lid on the air cleaner. Those too young to remember those times flipping the lid would increase air flow and disable some of the primative emission equipment. That said, reintroducing soot into the engine, allowing regens to clean the dpf causing fuel to accumulate in the crankcase diluting the oil (13%!!!!! wow) will possibly cause issues now but will cause a failure in the future. If these systems "worked" why am I seeing signs advertising "dpf cleaning". There are two options, keep the systems that are hurting your new engine or alter it. On a side note the manufacturer/dealer can void your warranty as we have read in posts here and elsewhere. Two that come to mind are issues blamed on "bad fuel" and one I read about elsewhere after replacing the dpf 3 times they voided the warranty.

Some of the earlier posts in this thread posed questions about tuners. My reading on this topic have been centered around http://www.hsperformance.com/

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

I was at my dealer last week. I wanted them to check the cooling fan but they were backed up 3 weeks and the service adviser said they couldn't help since I was leaving for Wyoming in 2 weeks. I went back and talked to my tech. He worked me in in about 5 minutes, I tipped him his usual $100. He was working on a 6.7 that had bent valves. I ask him if Ford had came and checked this truck? No
I ask if Ford normally checked them? No
I ask how many trucks had Ford ever checked? 1 a 6 liter.
Why did Ford check that one? His reply was, The truck was chipped, the guy was a smart a## and he had Ford come out and check it. Then I ask would Ford have checked it if he hadn't called them? No.
He told me if I ever had to have my truck worked on to "Run it buy him first"
If you need to have your truck worked on, go look up the tech thank him and slip him a tip. It might pay big dividends.
Lynwood
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If one is counting on that working at every deakership everywhere..go fo it;.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
Hey Rich, that new Montana is a beauty. I just traded my 2010 6.4 for a 2012 6.7. We'll see if it get a little better mpg's. Just found out the short beds have a 26 gal tank which is disappointing but what the heck I'll likely put a bigger tank in the bed to increase my fuel capacity. 26 gallons- what is ford thinking.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

If one is counting on that working at every deakership everywhere..go fo it;.
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich I'm not counting on that. What I was trying to point out was Ford don't check as often as people think.
Lynwood
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #52
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Bandit........ your 2010 had a 30 gal tank, and even that isn't big enough. I put in an extra 60 gallon tank to total 90 gallons, but it does take up a lot of space in the short bed. The good thing is I can drive from Boston to Ocala without having to stop for fuel.
Good luck with your new truck.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #53
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
OOPS, forgot to mention that is WITHOUT pulling the Monty.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #54
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The 6.7 I spoke of in a previous post now has a new engine ready to go in it at my Ford dealer. The diesel tech wasn't sure whether Ford would fix or replace the engine. Ford replaced it. They replaced every thing but the turbo the intake and the headers, and maybe a few small parts.
Lynwood
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #55
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:

ok I am more informed ow one more thing if you are putting a premium in the truck do you still do better by adding the cetane still? I found it on sale at tractor supply for 12.99 bought two
If you buy premium it is already 45 cetane and you need not add anything. When in Florida for the winter we use Shell premium and add nothing else.

well this subject has wide range of how to run your engine. But I can't find Premium anywhere and the folks who work there don't have a clue.

I am now getting 15.6 MPG up 3 MPG before adding diesel clean. This of course is not towing. Towing I was getting 8MPG will update when we head south. Ill take the extra miles and add Diesel Clean everytime.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #56
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bandit

I was introduced to Cetane at the NHRA drag races in Ennis, TX. There was a booth dedicated entirely to Ford diesels and the folks working it were seemingly very knowledgeable about diesel motors. I had just bought my 2010 with the 6.4 and was visiting this booth and complaining about my fuel economy and the frequency of the regen. The guys running the booth said it was imperative that we always run diesel fuel with a Cetane rating of 45 which by the way is not available in Oklahoma. I called Valero who supplies the diesel fuel in my area and was informed the Cetane rating was 41. Centane is easy to find and almost every auto place has it. I buy mine a Walmart and add one ounce per 3 gallons of diesel fuel thus its pretty cheap. A 16 dollar bottle treats 250 gallons. The guys running the booth said I would notice better performance and much less regens. I was not noticing poor performance thus the main thing I noticed was a little better MPG's and much fewer regens. On one trip to Yellowstone NP we drove 4600 miles without a regen. The DVD that came with our truck spent a good bit of time talking about the cetane requirements.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Please explain Cetain to me I have never heard of this I have a 2008 f350 6.4
It the same as octane in gasoline.
Lynwood
I am getting the same results and no regen since i started using it
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #57
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
Yes, it is to diesel what octane is to gasoline. My 2010 6.4 came with a DVD which explained in detail the need for a cetane rating of 45. In addition the ford folks at the NHRA drag races were insisting I would see results if I did what was necesary to up the cetane rating to 45. As soon as I did it I noticed less regens and a slight increase in mpg's. BTW Diesel Kleen at walmart is $16 and the same product is $11 dollars at Atwoods in Oklahoma. This bottle treats 250 gallons of diesel. I will be using this product during the winter months in my new 6.7.
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bandit

I was introduced to Cetane at the NHRA drag races in Ennis, TX. There was a booth dedicated entirely to Ford diesels and the folks working it were seemingly very knowledgeable about diesel motors. I had just bought my 2010 with the 6.4 and was visiting this booth and complaining about my fuel economy and the frequency of the regen. The guys running the booth said it was imperative that we always run diesel fuel with a Cetane rating of 45 which by the way is not available in Oklahoma. I called Valero who supplies the diesel fuel in my area and was informed the Cetane rating was 41. Centane is easy to find and almost every auto place has it. I buy mine a Walmart and add one ounce per 3 gallons of diesel fuel thus its pretty cheap. A 16 dollar bottle treats 250 gallons. The guys running the booth said I would notice better performance and much less regens. I was not noticing poor performance thus the main thing I noticed was a little better MPG's and much fewer regens. On one trip to Yellowstone NP we drove 4600 miles without a regen. The DVD that came with our truck spent a good bit of time talking about the cetane requirements.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Please explain Cetain to me I have never heard of this I have a 2008 f350 6.4
It the same as octane in gasoline.
Lynwood
I am getting the same results and no regen since i started using it
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #58
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Just did a a 700 mile trip using diesel Klean im up to 15.8 up 2 tenths