Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tip. Poll on whether you do, how much and why not

You are in an eatery, waitress comes by, get you soda, water, maybe leaves chips. She comes back with the food order, leaves correct food order, notices water is 1/2 empty, goes gets water jug fills your glass. Comes by when you are 1/2 done eating, "Can I get you anything, is the food good?" then comes by again, removes plates, "Desert?" Leaves bill, tells you anytime, no hurry, fills water again.
Nice, competent waitress, I leave around 20% If she flirts with me...22%
Last night I order over the phone to some place I can's spell, so I will call it Chili's. (it was Italian food) Looked like a Brinker owned store. Anyway, I go to the door marked To-Go orders, had a few To-go parking places there.
I go in, tell them the order is for Hershel, the two bags are sitting there ready for me, I give her the $19.00, spin on a heel and I am out of there. No tip.
Don't figure the tip is earned, look at the two scenarios.
Good, bad, what do you do?
I am at peace with my decision.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Sort of like the tip jar at Starbuck's...don't leave anything in it either.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I must be the odd egg here, I sometimes tip regardless of whether it is take-out or eat-in if it is a restaurant type facility. I typically don't tip at a Burger King drive-thru or similar but I have been known to. I feel that if I can give a financial blessing to some one and brighten their day, then I am usually tempted to do that. Unexpected tips always result in unexpected looks of disbelief from those who are receiving them, and just that part of the exchange is worth it to me. I am not saying everyone should be this way, just saying that blessing others can in turn be a blessing to us as well. I always picture a college student or single mom working in these places just to get by, and I enjoy and appreciate the fact that I can provide a bright spot in their day. The old "it is better to give than to receive" philosophy works well for me. Now, keep in mind that if it was an air-conditioner repair guy, then I might have to reconsider!! Hee Hee!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know we tend to do the same thing. Some of our kids worked at places that had a take out window and no one liked to work it because you seldom got a tip. I will usually say...no change back when we pay but on a 19.00 order and pay with a 20.00 bill a 1.00 tip is not adequate. We order pick up Pizza in Florida all the time and never have tipped. Will have to re think that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just additional info on my scenario, the To-Go person was the bartender, the end of the bar is right by the take-out door.
The additional responsibility of to-go orders is part of the job the corporation deems necessary for the overall growth and profit of the business. If I would sit at the bar and order a beer, she would get a dollar tip. To-go order...butkis.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't tip at McDonalds when I get my to go order. Is there a difference between them and a more expensive "restaurant"? I don't think so.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
OK, I have to put in my 2 cents here. I have been serving for 3 years now at 2 different resorts during the summer season. Most people don't realize that servers can be paid less than minimum wage because tips are considered part of their income. Last year I made 4.25 an hour serving so basically did for the tips. This year I am making 7.25 an hour so it is still for the tips. Servers often have to bag the to go's along with making sure everything is included while still taking care of their regular customers. I for one really appreciated even a small tip on these orders. I now tip 10% on to go orders if that person is pleasant and helpful. If they just hand me a bag and take my money, not so much.
BTW, many of us have to stay after service ends to clean bathrooms, mops floors and restock for the next day. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, especially when I have the time to talk to people and learn a little about them. I love to hear about what they are doing and give suggestions of what to see in the area. Being near Yellowstone is great.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Like NewFlyLady, I tip for the quality of the service, whether eat-in or take-out. That being said, I do not normally tip at places like McWrong Order, Burger King, or Taco Bell...unless the person serving me does something exemplary.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
NewFlyLady: Where are you working?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Bingo-I like your outlook on things, I will have to convey that to my wife who is the perverbial cheap-skate as far as tipping goes. I on the other hand believe 15-20% is not out of the question when the service is good.
Thanks for brightening my day with your positive attitude.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Very interesting subject. My daughter is in the restaurant biz so I'll have to talk with her about this subject. I do know that the service folks have to work their butts off and as NewFlyLady said often at wages lower than minimum wages! It may not be "right" but service workers really depend on tips!

By the way over on the Escapee's Forum they had a really extensive discussion on this very issue. It was a month or more ago.

Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
To Bigmurf: I am working at Campfire Lodge on the Madison River between Hebgen and Quake Lake. Pretty nice place to sit and enjoy the river while having one of the best breakfasts around. I work Monday thru Friday.

BTW, if any of you are in the area, come by and say hello. I would love meeting you. My name is Jan.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Interesting discussion. I have always wanted to be rich so I could give an exorbitant tip - like say $1000 - to a an unsuspecting but worthy waiter or waitress. I would put it in an envelope with his/her name on it and just leave.

I think I will put it on my bucket list ...

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
No tip and no taxes, I just hope the order is correct and has everything I ordered and is not cold.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Pizza to go, fast food, items at Wal-mart or a hardware store, you are paying for products, not services. My opinion is if you are paying for the product, then that is what pays the employees salary. If it's a service that I am paying for, then I tip accordingly. JMHO
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I tip based on the effort and conditions.

- If it is takeout, then just a few bucks (about 0% to 5%)- other than prep the food to go, there was no further effort on their part for service other than wrapping up my food so that it gets cold, soggy or worse by the time I get it home - IN n OUT is terrible at this, Five Guys is excellent at this. Pizza joints are 50/50. Most times the cost of the prep is in the price. I don't do takeout for a real good restaurant because I feel this taints the quality of the food to have it sit in transit.

- If it's a partial service place, like Sizzlers or buffet style where they bring your drinks or take your plates but you get your food and provide most of your own service, then it's 7-10% unless you got full service meals from them (but they still may not have taken your order).

- If it's a full service, sit down meal and they serve you, ask questions, bring you stuff you ask for then it's 18-20%.

- If they done a minimal effort or take too long or did something wrong then it's 10% to 15% unless they "comped" then they take it off the bill. I will tip on what the original bill price would have been. The restaurant pays for the comp but I don't discount the server unless there was a problem with the service as well.

- If they are idiots (wrong food, cold food, poor attitude and they aren't keeping up with a light load of tables), then nothing.

- If they are swamped (too few servers for too many tables, and it's looks like it's not their fault) then 0 to 20% depending on their efficiency and attitude. I've seen some who are really good and efficient when it's busy and I've seen others that have to make too many trips, or forget too much and I won't pay if you can't handle the pressure and you mess up my meal. It might not be your fault but don't take it out on me.

It's the way I think. If you're in the service industry and don't like what you get, then I ask you seek another job. I feel like I run into too many servers who don't see it this way and you shouldn't blame all customers like we aren't good tippers any more than we expect all servers to be slow and inefficient. It's the job you picked and like I've always done my best in my jobs all I expect is the same in return.

Don't forget that if the restaurant is having a 2 for 1 or similar sale to get you into the establishment that it is recommended you tip on the service if you had paid for full price. The servers aren't providing a sale for their services and should be working just as hard to provide their services. This pertains to all service jobs where the store provides a discount for the goods and services. The persons doing the services should still get tips based on the full price. Of course the percentage of tip still depends on the quality of their work! It's amazing how many people don't realize this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
What about buffets?

Here's what I do:
-Sit down restaurant, 15 to 20%, depending on service.
-Buffet, $1 per person...all they do is bring the drink.
-Drive through, nothing.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Excellant ser. gets 20%, as the ser. goes down so does the tip. Pickup counters, no tip. A workman is worthy of his hire or at a value served.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
My job required me to travel 5 days a week for 20 years. I had some cards that said "the tip would be bigger if the service was better". I have left a DIME just so they know I didn't forget. I have also left a small tip in the EMPTY glass (maybe they will learn what a refill is. Overall my wife says I tip too much when the service is good.

BTW: What does TIP stand for?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wiki-answers:

The origin of the word English word "tip" is not clear. One popular theory says it's is an acronym of "to insure promptness." Jesse Sheidlower, Principal Editor in North America for the Oxford English Dictionary, says that's wrong, because acronyms weren't popular in English until the 1920s. "'Tip," says Sheidlower, "began as a verb in the seventeenth century, used in the language of thieves, meaning 'to give'." By the early eighteenth century, the meaning included "to give a gratuity to a servant or employee".