Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Missouri River Flooding Sioux City, IA south

Thought my MOC friends would like to see some pictures of the Missouri at the present time! If you are North of Omaha and plan on coming down I-29 from Sioux City, IA, I would not recommend it and to find another route west of the Missouri River and best bet through mid-state Nebraska. I-80 is open here in Omaha going East and West but I-680 going around Omaha and connecting to I-29 North is closed at the Mormon Bridge going over the Missouri. There are 155 pictures on this site so it gives a good idea how things look around here! Enjoy!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045925...12518227309218

P.S. Later note: The Weather Channel just had the gentleman on that took all these pictures and he said he could see the Missouri River from the air 30 miles away because it is so wide now! Watch the Weather Channel and see some of his photos also and the interview! If you are heading our way(East or West bound)and want directions or help, drop me an email and I'll help as much as I can! Rondo

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! That is so tragic.

We are in Central Mass. and we intend to head West. I need to re-look our route.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
As we discussed earlier today Rondo, you guys be careful and know you are monitoring this situation to be safe.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Dennis! If the Missouri gets to our stick the whole Midwest will be under water and we will have converted our Monte into a houseboat by that time! We are on the highest hill in Omaha so if it does get this high it will have risen about 150-200 ft. The Monte will then be an ark and we will float our way to the next high ground.

Wayne, if you are still coming West on your route home, I-80 is clear all the way across IA and NE. I can't guarantee any other interstates especially south of here over the next few weeks anyway. In Council Bluffs, it is built up really high but the north route where it splits north and east of Council Bluffs is closed because it connects to I-29 about 15 miles north of CB. That is part of I-29 that is under water. You can see by the pictures, it is not just a few inches covered either. It may be a while before it is opened again. At a million gallons of water being released per second from Gavinspoint Dam near Sioux City it will be a while. The Missouri will be out of it's banks for a while and all the way down to where it empties into the Mississippi on the east border between Missouri and Illinois. Not a pretty sight at all, all the way from Sioux City, IA to the Mississippi, at least over the next two to three weeks, if not more, anyway. IF you need any advice, routing or places to stay around Omaha, let me know and I'll help all I can!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780

I29 is also closed at the MO. Border north in IA. There are detours, all on 2 lane highways. There are also closings at Sioux city. There is a number to call for IA. Closings, a real person, 24 hrs/day. Conditions change frequently. Don’t plan on camping any place along the river all summer, they have said it will be like this until August or Sept. The number is 866-452- 8510.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
So sad, to see all of that flooding, those poor people and all there property and belongings. what do all you full timers do in cases like this? find very high ground somewhere? or avoid all these areas in times like this.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Sure remands me of Cedar Rapids IA in 2008. The city and FEMA are still fighting over it [flood.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote