Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Front Jacks and 110vac outlets/fan/microwave

344 Mountaineer... electric front jacks worked fine Friday morning when hooking up to Dodge 2500, but when I got to the campground Friday afternoon... nothing! Had to manual crank in 100F in College Station, TX. Naturally the hand crank access was on "the sunny side" of the trailer. Same thing Sunday afternoon when heading back to San Antonio ("Nice tan" my wife said). Tried to find the "30 amp fuse", but no luck. Fiver is at the dealer now, but would be interested in "non-dealer" ideas about what might have gone wrong. Battery connections were good, battery charged, even tried to operate the jacks while hooked up to the vehicle - no-go.

Secondly, lost my GFI outlets, microwave and ceiling fan. Although my wife says its interconnected with the front jacks, I think I know better. GFI outlet in bathroom would not reset/test. Both breakers were on, but I did everything to reset the circuit (resetting MAIN and post 50-amp breaker). Again, no-go. Suspect circuit lost ground, GFI outlet went bad, or breaker itself is bad.

Suggestions??

John Ware
San Antonio

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Please relocate this post to the correct folder. It's way past my bedtime and I shouldn't be doing highly technical stuff like this... I put it in the wrong forum and don't know how to move it... sorry!!

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
O.K... appears the 30amp in-line fuse mounted on the back wall of the front compartment blew.

It appears that my loss of microwave, GFI outlets and ceiling fan (110vac) may be due to a bad campground outlet. Next time I go there I'll be sure I don't get that campground spot again, and will drag the voltmeter with me as well.

NOTE TO SELF: If above is true (microwave, GFI outlets and ceiling fan didn't work because I had a dead leg off the 50amp campground), that means that I have the TV, 2 A/C units, refrigerator, water heater and converter run off the other leg from the 50amp plug!!! Now I think I understand why my hot water wasn't all that hot with all this other stuff running!!!! Oh for a schematic!!!

John Ware
Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Wait a minute. A Engineer wants a schematic!!! My 30 years of field service tells me a engineer drew the schematic so it may well be WRONG. grin
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just take some of the loads and transfer them to the other buss bar. Probably every other one is on the same leg.
A common mistake when moving the legs up and down is to push the button before the motor has stopped running on the landing gear. Count to 5 before pushing again. That will help.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
OUCH bigmurf!! How'd you know I was an engineer??? grin...

I'll be getting my "club house" tomorrow afternoon, but with all the rains we've had with tropical storm Erin, don't think I'm going to risk going through a low-water crossing. I will be getting some extra fuses however, and will try to be more gentle Ozz.

Thanks to all!!