Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Big Sky--warranty issue???

I have a problem with my Big Sky where I'm not sure whether I should just accept the status quo or push Keystone to fix the problem. All advice and counsel is solicited.

In the early model 2007 Big Sky rigs, Keystone apparently installed the awnings too low so that the entry doors rub significantly on the underside of the awnings. Somewhere in the production run, they realized the problem and fixed it by raising the awnings higher. I noticed the problem while at the NorthEast Rally this spring. I mentioned it to the rep at the Rally from Pocono RV, and he said that Keystone was aware of the problem and had now corrected it. When I got back to Virginia, I reported the problem to my dealer and asked to have it addressed under my warranty. After a few weeks, I followed up with the dealer and was told that the fix for this problem was not a simple one and that there was discussion going on at Keystone as to what to do. When no response was forthcoming from Keystone over the next several weeks, I took the initiative and called Keystone Customer Service. I was told the following.

Keystone does not view this as a manufacturing defect and therefore does not feel it needs to to anything to address the matter. The rep said that lots of RVs have doors that rub the underside of awnings. The fact that Keystone recognized the problem and made a manufacturing change is irrelevant as Keystone makes lots of manufacturing changes during the year and those changes don't mean that there was a defect. I was told that I could go buy a small roller and mount it to the top of the door and that may help protect the awning. But Keystone would do nothing about the problem.

Now I understand that the fix to this problem would be substantial--apparently they can't simply move the awnings up higher because the support brackets inside the walls are at the lower position, and it would require tearing out the whole wall to move the brackets. However, I'm not terribly pleased with Keystone telling me in effect to "go pound sand" and deal with the problem myself just because the correct fix would be such a big job. At a minimum, I thought they should offer to install the roller on the door and to extend the warranty on the awning in case that fix doesn't work.

Am I being unreasonable here? Will that little roller on top of the door take care of the problem? Is this something I should just shut up and accept? If not, who should I talk to and/or what should I do to get Keystone to consider doing something more to address this problem?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The roller works fine to a point. Our previous TT has the roller on the outside door and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to install the roller on the screen door. On the TT the corners were square and we did manage to puncture the awning with the screen door. I like the rounded design on the Montana's which at least would prevent puncturing the awning as we did. Repeated wear and potential stretching would be of a bigger concern. I always check the clearance on the door and the awning when I extend the awning on our 3400 but fortunately, it has never been a problem. Obviously you are between a rock and a hard place, but I honestly feel Keystone and your dealer should at least acknowledge the problem and be willing to meet you halfway on some level of resolution. Perhaps now we have another item to add to a PDI list??? Another option may be the use of the bowed awning support but I don't know if they would work with the electric awnings if you have that type. Sorry to not offer a solution, but I am sure someone has crafted an innovative way to minimize the problem. Good luck.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
David and Jo-Anna, I don't think you should just except it and go on. Even with the roller i think it will wear the awning in the long run. They know it will be a lot of labor involved and are hoping you will just give up. They would have to move everything up and then patch the holes where the unit was mounted. But that can be done and you would not see the old holes. I would give Team Montana a call and also put pressure on your dealer.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
David and Jo-Anna,

After you get them to fix your awning, have them also fix the sensors on the holding tanks....

Good Luck, we're pullin' fer ya!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Hi David and Joanna, this is NOT something they have fixed on the later models of the Big Sky. We have the 2008 and it still does it. We figured out if we extend it all the way out and then retract it just a little (until the little flap is hanging directly down) it no longer rubs. We leave the door open while we extend and retract the awning to determine exactly when/where it stops rubbing. I know it isn't a perfect fix, but it's workable. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Sue and Verle, they must have changed yours somewhat because mine is much farther down than yours. Mine is about 3 inches to low, the dealer is aware of the problem and has not yet told me what they are going to do to fix the problem. I am waiting for him to call on this and a couple of other issues, I will post when I find something out.
David and Jo Anna,
I do not plan on just letting it go.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
YOU ARE NOT BEING UNREASONABLE AT ALL,I WOULD EXPECT KEYSTONE TO FIX AWNING,BUT THERE IS THIS COST ISSUE THAT WEIGHS HEAVYLY IN KEYSTONES DECISION,SEEMS COST ISSUE IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.WARRANTY COSTS ARE BUILT INTO PRICE OF UNIT,WHEN UNIT EXCEEDS THIS COST,THE OUTCOME IS NOT GOOD,THIS IS MY OPINION.I WOULD NOT TAKE THERE DECISION IN STRIDE,TRY ALL CHANNELS TO RESOLVE ISSUE.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I don't think you're going to convince them to raise that awning.

I can tell you I have a similar issue in that when I drop my awning for rain that it does rub from our door. It started to wear and I installed a roller on the hard door, not the screen. It worked fine as far as eliminating the wear, but you still have to keep an eye on it so you don't pitch it too hard.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Keystone does not view this as a manufacturing defect and therefore does not feel it needs to to anything to address the matter. The rep said that lots of RVs have doors that rub the underside of awnings. The fact that Keystone recognized the problem and made a manufacturing change is irrelevant as Keystone makes lots of manufacturing changes during the year and those changes don't mean that there was a defect. I was told that I could go buy a small roller and mount it to the top of the door and that may help protect the awning. But Keystone would do nothing about the problem" ..perfrect response.. great spin control. Ole Rich is as unreasonable as you can get. Lets see...The problem did not exsist..then it did..then they fixed it..sounds like a mistake to me.. The fall Rally where you have all those folks in one place might be a good place to present your case..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carefree of Colorado has clear install requirements for height above the door on the steep pitch Travlr Awning that you have. Simply stated- Keystone did not read the directions!

Of course they messed up and should be liable for the fix. You are the one that will have to explain the problem to the next owner at resale, not Keystone. The fix is not easy, as they will have to fill holes and repair graphics.

If you contact Carefree customer service and ask for the installer version of the specifications for the Travlr, you will see the measurement for the above door height. I would present this to Keystone and argue back that generalizing other awnings that rub on other coaches has nothing to do with the fact they messed up the install.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
David and Jo-Anna,
Last week I sent a list of warranty repairs to my dealer so we could schedule a time for repairs. One of the items was the rubbing of the door on the awning. I am going to be putting pressure on them and Keystone to fix the problem now or give me a guarantee that they will replace the fabric in the future if it wears through.

Let us know what you decide to do and we can follow through to Keystone with the same.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but I also have a problem with the awning blowing back against the trailer in a light breeze. I am the only one in the camp ground that has to raise the awning in those conditions. Any one else with the same problem?

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rldriver

Not meaning to hijack your thread but I also have a problem with the awning blowing back against the trailer in a light breeze. I am the only one in the camp ground that has to raise the awning in those conditions. Any one else with the same problem?
Ours did hit the trailer in a breeze the other day (First time). Usually it does pretty well and absorbs the breeze. Just the nature of electrics. I may be the only one in the campground that has to raise it in those conditions, but I'm also the only one in the campground that can do it in 90 seconds.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
[quote]quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Quote:
Originally posted by rldriver

Ours did hit the trailer in a breeze the other day (First time). Usually it does pretty well and absorbs the breeze. Just the nature of electrics. I may be the only one in the campground that has to raise it in those conditions, but I'm also the only one in the campground that can do it in 90 seconds.
Thanks Brad, I have asked my dealer to look into this and see if there is a fix. Time will tell. Not a good situation as one side will go up first and put a big twist in the assemble. I may have to try and tie it down.

But you are correct as it is very easy to bring in (and not get wet).

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote