Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Refrigerator not cold?

Just picked up our new 3075RL last weekend. Took it to an RV storage facility, parked it, and plugged it in to their 15 amp circuit. Checked on it last night and noticed the refrigerator was not cold. It was nice and cold when we went thru the PDI. What am I missing? The AUTO light is on and the AC light is on so I assume power is OK. My propane is turned off, but I shouldn't need that if I have AC power? Any ideas? I plan to call the dealer and see if he can help without me having to take it in. Planning to take it out this weekend for my first trip.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
First, Let me say Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions just come on here and ask; we will sure try to help as we can.

So, in that vane - first - Is your battery connected? If you have a battery disconnect switch, is it turned off? The Refer needs 12 volts for the circuit board. On some of units the battery still provides power to the refer when the battery disconnect switch is turned off, on others, that switch cuts everything. So you could have 110 volts (what some of us call 'shore power') to the unit but without the 12 volts, the circuitry doesn't tell the unit to cool.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #3
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
it takes around 12 hours for the unit to cool down. You should be able to put your hand on the sides of the freezer and that should definately feel cold. If it does your unit is working, it just takes a while. there are lots of tips about loading it up with cold items, minimizing the air that has to be cooled, putting a bad of ice in the freezer to help cool the air quicker. etc.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The battery is connected to the trailer. All the 12v lights work. That doesn't necessarily mean the 12v to the frig is still connected. I did not see any 12v fuses that appeared to be blown. All the lights on the frig control panel turn on and off when you actuate the switches which would seem to indicate power was OK.
The frig is empty right now. I left it on overnight and it was not cold at all the next day.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Did you check the 110v plug outside the ref? It could have worked loose or the circuit could be tripped. Also check your gfi circuits. They may have tripped.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Last year I picked up my new unit, used it the first time and all was well, at the next outing my refer was only a little cooler that the outside air. All of our food went into our friends refer. Short story, the coils needed to be replaced. It took about a week, testing, receiving the parts, and installation. May or may not be your problem. Good luck.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Being new to the RV thing I had a problem with the person using the frig on one of our first outings. The frig worked fine, I just didn't push the door until you hear the magic click that seals the frig. Mine has worked fine since I have heard that magic click. I don't remember anyone telling me that I had to do that during the PDI. I think sales people take if for granted that everyone that buys a trailer understands everything about them when they drive them off the lot. Hopefuly it isn't anything major and you can be on your merry way without going to the RV dealer.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Well I spoke with the service dept after I checked power to the AC plug (good) and power to the 12v terminals (good). Then I tried it on gas and it works fine. Some problem with the AC sensing circuit apparently. Even though the AC light comes up on the control panel, nothing happens and the CHECK light eventually comes on. They said if I could not get it to work, they would send someone out to check it out. Going for a short trip this weekend to try to make sure everything else is working and get everything corrected in one service call. And I did notice that you have to press on the door somewhat to get that last CLICK when it latches.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
TX, that last pressure on the door makes for a secure closure. It's normal. Have a great weekend trip.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can verify if the refrigerator is getting its 12 volts by observing if the light comes on when you open the door. I believe that's even better than checking fuses. Maybe I'm wrong.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #11
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
BB_TX
Sounds like the heater element may not be working. Check the connections at the circuit board(this is the approx 5 in square black box) to see if loose. If not, disconnect the two black wires at the board that go to the heater element and check across the two with ohmmeter. If continuity it's ok - if no continuity it's shot and will need to be replaced. Now, I would like to leave you thinking that I must be very intelligent but, the truth is that we went thru this same exact situation with my bro-in-law on his 2007 Mont 3400 just two days ago. The indicator lights on the frig were showing that it was working on AC but it was not cooling. It was ok on gas.

Byron
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Maybe the 15 amp circut you are hooked up to has no power or maybe that circut gets shut down at night for some reason
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Well we took the Montana for a weekend trip just to try everything out. Ran the frig on gas for 3 days. Took it back to storage, turned off the propane, and tried the frig on AC again. Runs on AC now. The only thing I did was to pull the 12V fuse and check it. It was good so I put it back in and turned it on. It started up on AC right away. Guess the pulling the fuse seated it better or the shaking of the trip woke the frig up. Will see if it continues to run OK.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe the control circuitry are on the 12V system. Buy pulling the fuse and re-seating it you may have reset the control board. Glad it is working best of luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote