Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
water flow

Have a new Montana 3075RL which is real nice. Took first trip last week end noticed not much water flow out of any of the faucets. Got home to more sustained water pressure and checked out. Still appears to be low flow even with a higher pressure reading at the rig, anyone else experience this?

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
skyviewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6581
We have a 2008 3400 and noticed the same thing on first outing.Cleaned all the strainers on all the faucets which were plugged and it solved the problem in the shower and the vanity faucet and improved it in the kitchen but still have low flow in the kitchen which we have not figured out.
skyviewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Also cleaned strainers that were cloged, put in a better shower head in the shower not a lot of improvement. Went out while ago and turned on the pump in the trailer, seems as though more water pressure that way. I recon will have to investigate inlet water lines to see if a restriction has occured.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Checked for kinked hoses under the kitchen faucets.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
On you outside water hookup, there is also a screen in that, which is probably plugged...Check it out.. safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
May not be your problem, but the cheap water regulator that the dealer usually supplies seems to be a common problem. It really helped when I changed to a 55gpm regulator. Also, I have a friend that has a unit (not a Monty) that has a filter that filters all of the water coming into the unit. That is a constant problem for water flow.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My 3400 had flow restrictors in each faucet. Take the end of the faucet apart and see if there is not a small piece of plastic in there...remove it and you'll get lots more water pressure.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Checked the inlet screen--clean--removed screen and installed regular washer not much help. Did remove the little water saving devices this helped quite a lot. Have checked for kinks in the lines, at least the ones I can see. I think it is interesting that with the trailer pump running the pressure increases, with the trailer hooked to the outside water supply. Have one more thing I want to check, to satisfy my courious nature. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
check the inlet line behind where you hook your city hookup. Not quite sure how to describe it but there should be a angle inside you can pull loose. Some are in the cupboard. That line could have been overly long when they hooked it up, then when they pushed the outside unit in to screw it to the wall it kinked your line.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
ole dude I would be willing to bet that it is the inlet regulator as described by mustange 92. The clue here was flow increased with pump on.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Mustang 92 you mentioned a 55gpm water regulator,are you speaking of a commercial type regulator that would be found at a plumbing supply store are maybe even Home Depot. It would seem all the water controls I have seen at the camping stores are pretty much the same. I have not been back out to check some other things because it has been steady raining here although not as servere as other parts of our great state Texas, some where in the middle.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Trucdoc, I was thinking the flow may have increased because it may be working off the fresh water tank if he has water in it. Just a thought.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The screw on regulators are really a restrictor. Take your hose off with the regulator and a nozzle on the end. The nozzle after the regulator. Turn water on with nozzle on, turn nozzle off wait for pressure to back up in hose. Reopen nozzle and see how much water comes through. Usually there is very little water coming through. The reason the water pump makes a difference is it is making up the difference of flow. Understand the difference of pressure and flow. Simply explained useing the same water hose. A 5/8 hose with no end on it turn water faucet on. There is very little pressure but plenty of flow, put a kink in the hose and the pressure goes up and the flow goes down. Definetion of pressure "Restriction to flow" The 55 GPM regulator Mustange was referring to is a home supply regulator. I have not done it yet but that is a project on the list is to permanently install a pressure regulator with guage.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
O K helpful folks, here is what I have done and/or tested to date--removed restrictors from fixtures, checked water lines as far as I can see or get to for kinks and so forth, removed wire screen strainer at city make up connection and installed regular hose washer, connected hose to rig without any regulator, but with pressure guage, removed check valvein city water connection at rig and reconnected hose with out regulator, prayed over it, kicked, and called it names. Whew-- flow still picks up with water hooked up, no regulator and pump turned on. Kitchen sink and bathroom lavatory flow improved after retrictors removed. I notice that in the shower where the spray hose connects to the faucets, you can remove the plastic off set fitting, which I did and saw there is a flapper type check valve in there, any info as to why? Also in the kitchen there was a check valve in that line, wonder what the purpose?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
You have not said whether you are using an inline water filter?
I purchased a pressure guage to test the CG pressure before connecting. I have found that using the Culligan water filter cut the pressure from 80 psi from the faucet to 35 psi on the out-put side without a water regulator.

At one CG with 80 psi from the faucet I did not use the water filter.
When I showered I turned on our water pump, but the pump did not come on and the flow was great.

I would think the screens used on water inlets would cause some water restriction.

Doug

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We, too, had water flow problems in this and the prior Montana. We got rid of the cheap regulators and bought a house style adjustable from Lowe's or Home Depot for around $35 or $40. You have to add adapters, from the plumbing dept, to change the standard connector to a hose thread. Mine is set at 55 psi and works great.

We have two filters inline. One is a whole house filter from Lowe's/Home Depot. I think it's Westinghouse, if memory serves. I change the filter every six months (that's the instructions when using for an entire house). That one is for sediment, rust, and other bad things. A pack of three filters is thirteen bucks. We also have the blue filter from rv dealers / walmarts. That one is for taste. The whole house filter does not restrict the flow at all, at least not below the regulator setting. The blue one does reduce it but not by much.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #17
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
For the purpose of testing I was not using any type of filter, I have in the past used one of the blue filters, saw no big difference in the amount of water. I have a commercial water pressure reducing valve that is rigged up to fit on a trailer, will use that next time out. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. There is more flow that when started, maybe expecting too much. Also looked in behind the panel where the water lines connect holy smokes plenty of restrictive places there. Safe Travels everyone!!