Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The Cambridge!!!!!!

Dave and Victoria, you guys are the only one's who own the Cambridge on the Montana forum. I know you have had some wheel problems with the Tredit Aluminum wheels. We got a e-mail from friends, they are in Utah at this time and they are full timing and have a Cambridge and they just had a wheel crack and take out the tires, but no other damage. They wanted to know what we repalaced our Tredit wheels with. Gave the company, Southwest Wheel in Dallas Tx and the # for the wheel, they are Alcoa Aluminum wheels. I highly suggest everyone get rid of the Tredit wheels, they will crack if you pull them very long. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
When you switched over to the Alcoa wheels, did you change size?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave I didn't change size, I would have had to go to a 8,000 lb axles and then I would have gone to 17.5 inch wheels. I see Mobile Suites has gone to 8,000 lb axles and 17.5 inch wheels. I don't know for sure but I bet they have had some wheel problems also. If I had the extra money I would go for the 8,000 lb axles and the 17.5 inch wheels. I also believe the Big Sky should have 8,000 lb axles and 17.5 inch wheels its with 800 lbs of our Cambridge??? I would highly suggest everyone get rid of the Tredit Aluminum wheels if they are towing heavy. GBY....
Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,

In looking at a Teton Homes over the weekend, I noticed they are running a 235/85R16G tire on 3 axles. I have also noticed that Carriage, Royals International, and Elite Suite are running 8,000 lb axles with aluminum wheels on 2 axles. What size tires are you running on your Cambridge now?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave, we are running Goodyear LT 235/85R16, G614RST. So for no problems with tires. I keep them at 110 PSI, and when they get hot they will increase in pressure about 10 to 20 % according to the Pressure Pro Monitor.

When I replace them we will go with the Michlin brand. We are busy here at the View, they are putting the truss's up this morning. Life is good... GBY....
Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
After tredit replaced the wheels, no more problem there. (also had problems with cast aluminum on a previous Montana.) But after about 16,000 miles have experienced two blowouts on the goodyear g rated tires. I really think the Cambridge is too close to the design limit on weight for these tires. It really needs 3 axcles. In the future, given we ever live long enough to buy another trailer, I will never consider ANY TRAILER THAT DOES NOT HAVE ATLEAST A 20% MARGIN between the gross weight and the axle/tire rating. I believe the Goodyear tires are about as good as can be expected but they are used at 0 margine on the Cambridge. IMHO this is irressponsible design and would have been rejected in any design review I ever participated in.

In the meantime, we have a work around. I plan to install a new set of four Goodyear 614 tires as soon as we are ready to move from our Kentucky site. These will be replaced again at three years or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy and Dave,
Have either of you looked at the regroovable tires from Goodyear? I noticed Elite Suites are running them as standard equipment from the factory...

Lindy,
I am glad to hear things are moving along at "the view". I was looking at your website a few weeks ago, sure love the pictures of the new truck!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks Dave, We are running re-groovable GoodYear tires now so for I haven't had any problems, side wall says 110 lbs and thats what I run because we are very heavy and I agree with Dave and Victoria we really should have had 3 axles or 17.5 inch tires.

Yes the View is really going great. It will be in the dry tomorrow, except the windows. We are very please and happy things are going so good. We have purchased all new funiture and appliance's, we will be buying our Tv's next week. We have HDTV Satellite system and will go with a 37" and a 40" Samsung, after much research we think Samsung is the best buy and the time. They will be both HD, 1080 P.

Dave our 2007 Chevy Classic 3500 is awesome, the 360 horses will pound the earth. Really feel Blessed to be doing what we are doing. If your ever in Tennessee give us a call. GBY....
Old 06-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,

I have a feeling I will be in Tennessee before too long. There is a bar in Nashville called "the Stage", and I have to admit it is my favorite bar in these great United States of ours. Also, my brother lives in Nahsville, and I have a few friends and places we like to hang in Murfreesboro! I am really getting the urge to come spend another week down there. I will let you know the dates once I get a trip finalized...

You are 100% right! We are all really blessed to be doing what were doing... Something I need to remind myself of every now and again.