Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
FISCALMAN
Established Member

M.O.C. #7229
BRAKES LOCKING UP

I HAVE HAD BRAKES LOCKINGUP PUT NEW ASSEMBLIES ON AND STILL LOCK
ANY SUGGESTIONS

FISCALMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I assume you are talking about the brakes on your Montana. The most probable cause is the brake controller in you TV. Try this procedure:
1. Set you controller to the max using the manual brake slide/lever.
2. Try to pull forward. If the wheels are locked, back off the voltage adjustment & try again.
3. Continue to back down the voltage adjustment to the point where the wheels just barely turn without locking up.
4. If you are using a Prodigy Controller, that voltage will be around 8.0 (plus or minus a little bit). Other controllers that do not show the voltage will require several attempts to find the right setting. Try to reach that point that when you are braking extremely hard, that the wheels almost (but not quite)lock up on dry pavement.
5. Remember that they may still lock on wet pavement, dirt roads, etc. Further adjustment might be necessary for different environments.

Good luck.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
FISCALMAN
Established Member

M.O.C. #7229
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

I assume you are talking about the brakes on your Montana. The most probable cause is the brake controller in you TV. Try this procedure:
1. Set you controller to the max using the manual brake slide/lever.
2. Try to pull forward. If the wheels are locked, back off the voltage adjustment & try again.
3. Continue to back down the voltage adjustment to the point where the wheels just barely turn without locking up.
4. If you are using a Prodigy Controller, that voltage will be around 8.0 (plus or minus a little bit). Other controllers that do not show the voltage will require several attempts to find the right setting. Try to reach that point that when you are braking extremely hard, that the wheels almost (but not quite)lock up on dry pavement.
5. Remember that they may still lock on wet pavement, dirt roads, etc. Further adjustment might be necessary for different environments.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
FISCALMAN
Established Member

M.O.C. #7229
Thanks for the reply the controller is fine just one wheel locks
have it in the shop everything looks fine but still hangs.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Back in 2000 shortly after we bought our rig, one wheel would lock up similar to what you're talking about. Turned out that it was caused by brake dust inside the drum. Cleaned it out and brakes never locked up again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is probably a longshot but if none of the other suggestions prove fruitful.... We once had this problem when the brake linings were worn so far that the cam would go past its high point and would not return. The result was locked brakes. In our case the linings were so worn because the brakes on just one axle were doing all the stopping. The other axle's brakes had never engaged because of a bad electrical connection.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
FISCALMAN
Established Member

M.O.C. #7229
I would like everyone for there help but the problem I found
out from the shop is that I have a bent spindle I was afraid
that would be the cause.