Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Rail Installation

I'm getting ready to install hitch rails (well, my brother is) and I have a few basic quesitons.
1. While he has the tools and is handy he has not done this before. Should this be left to professionals? How technical is this and how easy is it to NOT do it right?
2. Does a rubber bed mat get cut around the rails so rails are solid on bed?
Thanks!

GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
(2) Yes cut the Bed Mat
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It's really not difficult ... read the instructions first ... measure twice ... drill once. Rule of thumb when positioning hitch for visual BEFORE drilling ... center of hitch pin should fall somewhere right over your rear axle centerline to a couple of inches forward. The newer Ford's and Chevy's ... @ 05 and newer sometimes require a special rail installation kit in addition to the standard bolts and angle brackets supplied. If it looks like you are just bolting the rail to the thin truck bed and not onto some fasion of doubler or reinforced area ... re-measure!!! By all means do not bolt through the bedliner ... make a cutout.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
It can be done, read and understand the instructions. If you get lost call the company they will help. Measure twice cut once! I'm sure some one on this forum will be around if you need a second opinion?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a fella who installed his hitch, took him 4 or 5 hours to do. Personally I would rather have my dealership do the install. If they mess up, they are buying me a new truck, plus the liability is on them not me for the installation of the hitch. Good luck and as the others have said, measure three times and cut once.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Team Daybreak

M.O.C. #6533
I have a question. When you say to cut out the liner, I assume you mean a "drop-in" liner. Can a rail assembly/hitch be installed in on top of a Rhino Liner that's been sprayed in? I will installing both items in a month or so and was planning on drilling all the holes and then having the liner sprayed in. Does this sound correct or am I going about it wrong? Thnaks for the help.

John
Team Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
That's the way I did it John.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes about on top of a spray in liner. That's how mine is done on this and the prior trucks. Cut through a drop in (did that on the '95) and rubber liners. You want nothing that can give to be between the rails and the bed.

I installed the rails on my '95 Ford. Be sure you have at LEAST one excellent quality steel cutting bit to drill into the frame. And cool that bit off frequently. I used oil as a lube in drilling into the frame.

As others said, follow directions closely. Measure two or three times. Be sure the pincenter is not behind the axle center. If a shortbed, I'd recommend pin center directly over the axle. On a long bed, up to two inches forward of the axle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Team Daybreak

M.O.C. #6533
Thanks Pete and Steve. I will be doing this in the next month or so and now all I have to do is decide what hitch to use. We are going to buy a 3400RL and will be pulling with a '06 F-350 SRW PSD Long Bed. I'm just trying to make sure I don't make any major mistakes.

Thanks again, and sure thing Steve, I'll flash the lights at you just as soon we're pullin' the 3400 down the road!

John
Team Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Thanks for the info, not sure what I would do without MOC!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, you can drill the holes either before or after the liner is sprayed in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote