Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Tire Wear

The driver side rear tire is worn quite a bit and the tread wear bars are showing. None of the other tires are showing any wear. Any ideas?

Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Jim, it sounds like an alignment problem to me. I know there are places that deal with this, but I don't know your area.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
LonnieB

Is it possible that the brake in that wheel is setup too much, just one more thing to check.

Larry
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Larry: I just set the brakes us on all wheels several days ago. Thats when I noticed it. I havn't travelled with the Monty since so I doubt that it is that.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Yes Larry, it's possible, but if the brake on one wheel was set so much tighter than the others, I would think it would be noticeable, ie.. one wheel locking up as brakes are applied on gravel or sandy road.
The reason I first thought of alignment is the fact that there have been several instances of this with certain axles in the past, and, I have seen it on other types of trailers. The way Jim described the problem, with one tire showing significantly more wear, it should be fairly easy to check. Pull the trailer forward in a straight line far enough to insure tv and trailer are inline. Lay a long straightedge across both wheels as close to the center as hubs will allow. There should be 4 contact points between the tires and the straightedge. If there are only 3 or 2 points where the tires contact the straightedge, there is an alignment problem.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
>>>Pull the trailer forward in a straight line far enough to insure tv and trailer are inline. Lay a long straightedge across both wheels as close to the center as hubs will allow. There should be 4 contact points between the tires and the straightedge. If there are only 3 or 2 points where the tires contact the straightedge, there is an alignment problem.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sorry Mike, I'll try to clarify. Make sure the trailer wheels are at rest, not stressed as in turning a corner. Position a long straightedge, such as angle iron, against both wheels on one side at the same time. ( For example, lay 2 doughnuts on a table side by side, then lay a ruler across them ). Each tire should contact the straightedge in 2 places, 2 tires X 2 contact points = 4 contact points. If the problem is bad enough that one tire is worn out, and the other 3 are relatively new, it should be easily seen on the straightedge. Maybe this helps?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
LonnieB

Great explanation, it's something to keep in mind and to watch for.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Jim, this is also a good time to look for BENT axles. Yes, in some early model 2004s some of the AL-CO axles got out of the factory and they were bent. However, when my tires started to wear, it was the inside tread on all 4 tires. The axles could both be bent on the same side causing unusual wear on that side. I'm not sure how to check for camber but that is a possibility too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
LonnieB - This for this info. I will try it in the next few days and get back to the forum on what I have found out. You have been very helpful.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Jim, I realize it's not very scientific, but if the problem is great enough, you will see it using this method. Please do let us know what you find.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Sorry Mike, I'll try to clarify. Make sure the trailer wheels are at rest, not stressed as in turning a corner. Position a long straightedge, such as angle iron, against both wheels on one side at the same time. ( For example, lay 2 doughnuts on a table side by side, then lay a ruler across them ). Each tire should contact the straightedge in 2 places, 2 tires X 2 contact points = 4 contact points. If the problem is bad enough that one tire is worn out, and the other 3 are relatively new, it should be easily seen on the straightedge. Maybe this helps?
Were those Krispy Kreme donuts? If so, I follow this explanation. Sorry for not picking it up earlier.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, vote for either alienment or bent axle. When I had a problem, the dealer's solution was to sell me a new axle. I was not satisfied with that answer. So I took it to a truck alienment shop; one tall enough to handle my rig and they did the straightening job for $100. Doesn't take too much math to see why I had it straightened.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sorry Mike, they were Spudnuts. Don't worry about not being able to comprehend what I wrote the first time, I've never been known for my writing skills . I know what I mean to say MOST of the time, just getting it said is the problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We had a bad spring which caused the inside of our right rear tire to wear. Replaced all the springs with heavier duty ones. Like the alignment drill, check the distances between the spring bolts, if one is a longer distance by more than a little bit, then you have a bad spring.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote