Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Dish tailgater to all 4 TVs

Last weekend we took the rig out for the weekend so we could winterize it. One of my goals was to activate my old Vip211 receiver with my tailgater to see if I could get all the TVs to work. When I used it before I activated the newer Vip211 which only has the HDMI output. In this case I could only watch the TV that the receiver was hooked up to. The older Vip211 has HDMI, component, and co-ax outputs. So I connected the tailgater to the satellite in on the 5th wheel. Turned off the antenna booster in the front bedroom. Then played around with the connections behind the LR TV until I got a signal to the main TV through HDMI. Next I connected a co-ax to the TV out on the back of the receiver and connected it to the other connections on the wall behind the TV until I got signal to all TVs. Of course, we all know that the Vip211 is a single tuner so you get the same program at all TVs, but its hard to watch more than one at a time anyway. The reason I am posting this is the first time I used the tailgater, Dish Network told me I could not connect through my 5th wheel connections because the tailgater wouldn't work with any connections other than directly to the receiver. Well, they were incorrect. So for anyone thinking of about getting a tailgater it is possible.

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think they mean it will not work thru the antenna amp/ switch box and associated wiring. Mine worked thru the Monte wiring if I disconnected the short jumper on the dual coax connector wall plate and connected the receiver to that. That effectively connected the Tailgater directly to the receiver but thru a short length of the Monte's internal wiring.
I later added a new coax input specifically for the sat receiver.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
I had a Friend that worked for Direct so talked to him. He said the biggest problem was the splitters not being satellite types, and not strong enough for satellite. So got splitters and cable from him and went to work. As most of you remember, or know, we adopted our 7 year old grand daughter, so wanted to be able to change in coming feeds for her programming. So rewired most of the whole trailer so the TV in the basement, one in the bedroom and one in the living room are all connected to 3 way splitters, and can change either TV from park cable, to antenna to satellite now. Works out well, and everybody is happy. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote