Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #21
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Love my 3500 dually D/A Chev.

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I know that the new Chevies are much beefier than the one I currently have and I have not had one bad thing to say about my current Silverado. Steve, the Denali package really didn't look any different than what I have now in the LTZ package - or at least I didn't see it. It's amazing, the Chevy and GMC sales guys are almost embarrassed to talk interior. When it comes to the guts and exterior, Chevy is doing a great job. I'm told that 2014 will see a new interior, but I am hoping to have a new truck for retirement and I think that it will be too late if I wait for them to change the interior. Now, it looks like 2013 is going to see new chassis, transmission and upgrades on the Dodge. I see they are putting in an Aisan tranny, which should be another improvement.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Was a Ford Guy now own a Chevy ,These days they are all pretty damn good trucks ,go with whatever turns ya on and can get the best deal on
Old 10-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
If you really want to solve the Dodge vs Chevy dillema. Just buy a Ford and "forget about it. You'll be glad you did.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
2 cents (or less) from the other half of the CountryGuy combo.

We kinda all know that any one of these trucks are fine pulling machines, especially if you do your homework and get the stuff you need to pull the trailer you have, aka, the 410 rear end IF that is what the numbers dictate.

And, no, you don't buy a truck for the interior goodies and comfort, that is a side issue.

BUT, when you spend 6 to 10 hours a day pulling our units to the new place to visit, AND, when we spend 6 to 14 hours in one in a hard day of sight seeing, let me tell you, the cabin creature comforts sure start becoming VERY important.

When you spend that much time in a truck you are gonna appreciate the cubby holes, the seats, the heated seats, the air cooled seats, the USB connections, all the power connections and all the other goodies.

In reality, I am doing just about everything in that truck, except the pit stops, eh??? We are eating in there, we are taking phone calls, surfing the web, navigating, taking lots of photos, almost living in that truck cab.

The more luxury that cab has, the better!

The less than 2 cents worth!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481

Ron,

Our 09 Dodge has power seats for the driver and passenger. Both will tilt and move up and down.

Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You are right about the passenger seat, totally adjustable except up and down. Joyce has a small pillow she sits on and loves it. She says it helps her knees and the heated seat can get the heat thru the pillow no problem. I've heard Dodge was supposed to have a reliability problem in the past, but I've owned Dodge trucks for the last 20 years and have put a few hundred thousand miles on a couple of Dakotas and now have 30,000 on our ram and the only serious problem in all that time was the power steering problem we had on the way to the Rally and it was solved in one day. I was told when I reached 26,000 miles I would get better fuel economy and I am getting about .5 mph better now then when it was new. You now have the full extent of my knowledge on the subject. Like you I went with Dodge because I had issues, in my case it was with GM and Ford and there was a great local Dodge dealer. Had two really bad Oldsmobiles and after being a Ford truck man for years I got a lemon they wouldn't acknowledge was a lemon and they couldn't fix it until it finally totally quit by the side of the road. I had it towed to the Dodge dealer and have been a happy trucker ever since. Was my experience unique, probably, but we do what we do based on our own personal experience.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have had only 1 bad vehicle in my life, a 1980 Chevy 1500. Would I buy a Chevy today? SURE they are great trucks. In fact I almost bought one in place of my Ford. When I bought the Ford I did not consider the Dodge, not because I don't like Dodge, but because 2 Dodge service mangers, one in Wyoming and one in California told me not to. They were having too much trouble with pollution controls. Would I buy one today? SURE. I buy what is best for ME and don't care who makes it, its my money I'm spending.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bought my first Dodge Ram in May 2007. It's the truck we still have, so see particulars in my signature. Today it has 92,000 miles on it. At 13,000 the Dodge folks told me they wanted to replace the turbo with a newer version. Mine was an early 6.7L Cummins with the original style diesel.

It has been totally trouble-free ever since. I change oil (synthetic) at 10,000 miles and have replaced the tires and brake pads. That's it.

I really think all three brands are good choices. But I sure do like this Dodge a lot. One thing I really like is that, because it is a straight six instead of a V8, it doesn't scream at 3800 rpm going up those steep hills. Shoot, the engine redlines at 3200. It will downshift, taking rpm to 2700 to 2900 on those really steep hills at highway speeds, then after about two seconds rpm drops to 2100 to 2500 depending on speed, terrain, etc. And, as often as not, it will further upshift as it climbs the hill, often topping the hill at somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm. That, in my opinion, directly contributes to the legendary reliability and longevity of the Cummins. That and the fact that it runs very cool. Most days when towing it's running 196 to 200 degrees F. We've run some 10 percent hills and one 14 percenter in the summer. The highest temperature I've ever seen is 218 degrees. That readout is from my Garmin EcoRoute HD unit that reads the numbers directly from the truck's computer. Again, low heat equals longevity.

I do think, as I said before, that all three major brands are good trucks. Everyone should buy the one that makes them the happiest to own and use. I also have to say this Dodge and Cummins has convinced me my next truck, if I do someday trade, will be another Ram with Cummins.

The question about the transmission - ours is the 68RFE, the current six speed automatic. So far, at 92,000 miles it has never failed me. We had the fluid changed and both filters changed at 66,000 miles. That's all that's been done to it.

Ron, you have lots of good choices out there. Good luck whichever you choose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #30
Marty79
Established Member

M.O.C. #12767
I use to say I would rather walk than drive a Chevy. Had a really bad experience with a 1999 S-10 Blazer, and I mean BAD! The 2008 3500 Dura max DRW that I bought with the FW Just because it was a really good deal , I have been more than pleased with. It has been just a great truck. I have had Fords, Dodges and even a 1968 International Harvester (I could not tear the IH up even if I tried.) Currently they all are building dependable trucks.
Marty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #31
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
No matter what truck you buy, it's not about the engine and trans, it's about the ratings. When you consider that the same power trains are used in all the different models of each brand, it's the OTHER stuff one has to worry about. The ratings are what to look for and this is still no guarantee that things will go perfect.

Chevy and Ford have been leapfrogging ratings over the past several years and model comparisons seem to show Dodge always lingering behind just a little bit though still quite capable. I like that I read someone's post that Dodge is now making a move up into the ratings world, finally!

While I have NO advice for what to pick for many reasons described by others, I just recommend you try and get more truck than you need just to keep things safe and sane. We talk about MPGs too much but this should not be a concern when buying a capable truck - nice but not critical. It's more important the truck does the job you need, but nowadays all three seem to be okay on MPGs especially since I think any diesel we need will do better than any gasser just because of the performance curves per engine type.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
JMHO...GO with International
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #33
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Now that's a truck. Afraid I couldn't get that up my driveway. Think I'll stick with something smaller with 4 wheel drive.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #34
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We have a 2006 Megacab with the 5.9 and have had no problem with it in 96,000 miles except a very small coolant leak at about 40,000 miles. The one thing I wish was better is the turning radius. Maybe all the 1 tonners have the same issue, but I wish it was better. Ours is 2WD not 4WD and so far the 2Wd has never been a problem, but in the winter we escape to warmer climes so I haven't tested the truck in icy conditions. As a separate issue- the newer diesels ( all of the big 3) are much quieter than the 2006 is.

I added an exhaust brake early in the towing game and I would never have a truck without it if I was going to pull heavy loads. BTW the oem michelins are still pretty decent at 96,000 miles. I wish they built a line of ST tires- maybe they are too smart to mess with it.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote