Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
SOB,SOB HELP...

Hi all,
My daughter and son in law are looking at a 1989 bounder with 23k miles on it good shape new tires, new hoes on engine , power jacks , ford 460 40 foot john Deere chaise:w/ steering stabilizer, 7k gas Onan gen, 2 ac , ice maker, washer/dryer,mic/convection oven. Asking $12,000 Is this in the ball park, any body know??

Thanks

Bear

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
leasurejf
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10937
Send a message via AIM to leasurejf
For what it's worth...here's what NADA says is the value. $12K sounds a bit high.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1989/B...dard-Equipment
Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
I thought it was high also but I was suprised to see the nada value, are they really going that cheap?? I have not found any for sale to compare ....
thanks
Bear
Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Most of them haven't lasted that long, number #1. The thing you have to consider is that you're buying a truck and a camper together. You wouldn't pay much for a truck that age even with low miles because of all the things that crap out with age (water pumps, gaskets, alternators etc.). You also wouldn't pay much for a camper that age for many of the same reasons. Somewhere that thing has sat for a most of it's life. I wouldn't buy it without spending the money to have an engine mechanic and a certified RV mechanic look at it. Then you really know what to expect.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm bout 5 years ago I sold a 95 Bounder in perfect condition for $12k. The brakes are junk and they like to wonder all over the hwy. Mine was a F-53 chassis though.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
DQDickx2
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Another thing to consider is the fact that it's a Ford 460 engine in that big of a rig. I had a 36' with the 460 in it and for most of the time traveling it was flat on the floor trying to keep it at 62 MPH. I would never purchase this type of unit with that combination again. And yes, the price is high for this period of time.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
NEVER look at tires and if they look good think they are fine. Go by the AGE of the tires by referring to the DOT code. Tires will age faster from non-use than from being driven.

You are talking 23,000 miles over 23 years. That's an average of being driven about 1,000 miles a year (imagine a 500 mile roundtrip, then it SITS for the rest of the whole year). Even if the prior owner(s) just started the engine every week, that's no where near enough miles to drive and keep the tires, hoses, belts and any other non-metallic part from not turning into something that decays and rots prematurely.

Don't forget that not only do ALL fluids need to be replaced, there will probably need to be some cleanout, too because fluids that sit and do nothing is not good for an engine or whatever other device using these fluids (differential, brake lines, power steering, transmission, gas tank, battery, tanks, etc., etc., etc.) There's no telling how much sludge has creeped into corners from non-use.

The reason the price HAS to be that low is not only from lack of use but being able to find replacement equipment for a vehicle that old. Any rubber may have to be replaced just so that if the new owners are gonna drive it anywhere nothing falls apart. While the engine is undersized but that's not uncommon because for cost reasons and ownership reasons manufacturer's will put in these motors to get you there, but not at race driver speeds or with semi-truck hauling abilities.

Pay as low as you can, but then you have to ask yourself if it would have been cheaper over the long haul to replace things that will need replacing on top of the purchase price. This would have to be a labor of love. If your kids make plenty of money and are willing to spend the time (imagine the downtime of getting everything up to snuff or repaired if it breaks), then allow this to be a project and move on. I also admit I don't see many Bounders any more so consider this in trying to get information and parts.

It depends on what your kids are looking for and their living conditions that will suggest this gamble.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Pretty steep for 23 years old. It has lots of 'stuff' but it could be worn out or not work due to lack of use.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Thanks guys for all your comments.As my Granddad always said "you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him Drink"

Picture this: 4 cats, 1 dog 4 boys 15, 14, 14, 9. and mom and dad in a 1989 bounder 40 foot living full time going cross country cause they want too, already sold every thing they have, house not rented yet( up to Mary and I to rent it). Oh well to be 25years younger!!

I can hear a phone call about Kansas , Dad we need Help...........
Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I think Kansas is very optimistic! Of course it depends on where they are starting.
Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Bounder was always considered to be the poor mans motor home. If Wal-Mart was selling rv's the Bounder would be on the lot. I have a Canadian friend from Winnipeg Manitoba,Canada who buys older motor homes from the states comes down and repairs most little things that need to be repaired and takes the rig back to Canada and sells it for a good profit. He will tell you that a older Bounder is not his thing.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote