Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Trip to the Belmont mines

This was a great day trip out in the desert to mines way up in the mountain. We went it alone, but met 8 folks 4 wheeling out there.
Had hot dogs up on the summit.

Our trip:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/TripToTheBelmontMines?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNT gxtmq0fO-uAE&feat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hot dogs? On the summit? Were you able to heat things up and have all the fixings? Cold weiners on a cold bun without the mustard, relish, onions, etc. are not my ideas of a good hot dog. Then some chips and a cold drink? Awesome. I hope you got close to this.

I do love them desert pictures... we see a lot of that after we leave town here where we live. It can take a while to understand the barren beauty of the desert but we have been at that point for some time now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As you know, that's on our list next time we're out there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, did you see the grill on my tailgate? We had coolers with all the fixin's, a person should plan the trip and enjoy the results Had chips an apple and cold water.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That did not appear to be any kind of water that I know of on the tailgate. Is there water in brown bottles in Arizona? And always being the inquisitive and worrisome type, are you checking the air in the holes you are wandering into? Maybe it is okay in hard rock mines, I don't know, but black damp (Carbon Monoxide) is odorless and colorless, Sulfur Dioxide smells like rotten eggs and both are equally dangerous (in coal mines) and I am sure there are other gases that may be present as well since there is no ventilation? Ever thought about a canary? You know, the old miners way? I am sure you have considered this and am wondering what you found out, I can treat it as a learning experience, since "I know noth-ing!!" (Sgt. Schultz) about those holes in the ground out west. Have fun, but be careful and be safe.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Oh, the beer bottle. Dang, should have hid that. Did have water also
Yes, we are very careful, that is the furthest we have ever gone in any mine, 30' or so. We are Chicken folks when it comes to that. Thanks for the heads up on it.
It is so interesting to think back on how they managed to do the mining years ago, to stand where they stood and think on how they lived each day. Such a hard life they must have had.
I am planning a trip right now to another mine, I am bringing a bunch of folks here at the park.
It is actually a cache, but a mine will be very close; The 'Survivor Cache' GCMQWC

The Mine info:
http://www.mindat.org/loc-33505.html

The mine is The Hidden Treasure Mine Arizona.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Doh, boy was that dumb... I read the post and saw the picture and didn't notice the link to the slideshow under it. And how many times have I read your posts with this same format? Boy, was that dumb. Thanks for the 'splanation.

And you're gonna say that since you were driving, the brown bottles were for your copilot.

Fun stuff, but don't stay too long, because if you get caught there with the desert heat you won't need a grill for the hot dogs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Ozz, a lot of the mines we have visited had their own stamp mills close by. I am thinking that the concrete structure you saw used to be a stamp mill.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Hi,

Can I ask how you've got your GPS mounted? I have the same interior and have been thinking where to place the GPS other than the windshield and looks like yours is in a great location. I've never had a GPS before, so not sure of all the different mounting options.

Thanks!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I made a sheet-metal 'tang' to slide in the crack by the radio, then I drilled a pilot hole in the mount and screwed in a small screw to hold it securely.
I have found that these mounts and holes in the truck deduct nothing from the trade-in. I have traded in 5 or 6 service trucks, I bought new and modified.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Well, I made a sheet-metal 'tang' to slide in the crack by the radio, then I drilled a pilot hole in the mount and screwed in a small screw to hold it securely.
I have found that these mounts and holes in the truck deduct nothing from the trade-in. I have traded in 5 or 6 service trucks, I bought new and modified.
LOL - I guess I've been around long enough already I should have known it had been customized and was not "off-the-shelf". I'll have to get more creative!

Thanks!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote