Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Heat Augmentation

While we are all sitting around the campfire here, I have an inquiry. This will be my first year doing the snowbird thing down at Gulf Shores and I am thinking I may need to augment my heat. So I have trotted down to my local Lowes and Walmart stores to puruse their offerings and became somewhat overwhelmed at the different heaters available. Convection, Quartz light, ceramics, oil filled so I am asking those of you with experience what might me a good choice to make to assist in keeping the 3400 warm and toasty. I don't trust the built in heater of the fireplace and would like to save a little on propane, since electricity is included in my site rental at Gulf Shores SP. Recommendations????? Without breaking the bank.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
We have one that look like a wood stove got it at Sams for $79.00, it will heat a 400 sq. area (looks good too).
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We actually like the fireplace, but we also have a small ceramic that we use.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Weldon

We have one that look like a wood stove got it at Sams for $79.00, it will heat a 400 sq. area (looks good too).
I like this, if you can spare the floor-space.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Just beware of how much power they use. If you don't pay attention you might overload a circuit or two.

DW has been wanting me to augment the propane furnace and I kinda have to agree with her. Fortunately, we have been rare-timing these days (not getting the RV out much) but we're getting ready for RVing for a real long RV weekend. That's gonna hurt the propane budget.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Art, overloading a circuit was a concern of mine as well. Where we will be staying at least they have 50Amp. I think most of those heaters are 1500 watts some advertise 1500 switchable to 750 watts.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We use a Lasko ceramic heater like this one except gray if it is particularly cold. I set it in the living area pointed toward the bedroom area at night. By doing that, it circulates the air through out the whole trailer and reduces the furnace usage.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

While we are all sitting around the campfire here, I have an inquiry. This will be my first year doing the snowbird thing down at Gulf Shores and I am thinking I may need to augment my heat. So I have trotted down to my local Lowes and Walmart stores to puruse their offerings and became somewhat overwhelmed at the different heaters available. Convection, Quartz light, ceramics, oil filled so I am asking those of you with experience what might me a good choice to make to assist in keeping the 3400 warm and toasty. I don't trust the built in heater of the fireplace and would like to save a little on propane, since electricity is included in my site rental at Gulf Shores SP. Recommendations????? Without breaking the bank.
Just curious as to why you don't trust the built in heater of the fireplace? Jim
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Jim, mine is an 06 model and from post in the past some were having trouble with wires melting, loose grounds and dust and dirt getting on some of the circuits causing problems. We have never used ours more than a couple of times other than turning on the flaming log lights for a little bit. Just gun shy I guess, I really don't want to take the unit out to inspect for the loose wires.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:

Jim, mine is an 06 model and from post in the past some were having trouble with wires melting, loose grounds and dust and dirt getting on some of the circuits causing problems. We have never used ours more than a couple of times other than turning on the flaming log lights for a little bit. Just gun shy I guess, I really don't want to take the unit out to inspect for the loose wires.
If we happen to be in the same town sometime, I will help you fix it up and insure it is safe.
(I drink Miller lite...)
(Going to Lake Havasu the 22nd, then maybe Palm Springs, maybe Phoenix..)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:

Mine is an 06 also and we have used the heater a lot. I have pulled it out to clean but all wire terminations were fine. I'll make you the same offer as Ozz only I drink Bud Light. Jim
P.S. If I avoided using everything posted on this forum I'd never get the unit out of the driveway.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Jim and Ozz, I appreciate those offers and the adult beverage brand doesn't matter to me.....I like them all. So if anyone is in the Gulf Shores area in February or Destin area in July and August feel free to drop in and make to repairs.
Jim I agree that if you are afraid of everything on the forum you read about you would never leave the driveway. Believe it or not I pulled on Mission tires for 4 years without a problem and finally switched to LT's. I still have the Apollow half time oven and still use it all the time without having a problem. I check my links on the suspension and still have originals. I use the Ezlube process for wheel bearings and they are still in fine shape it is just that the thought of that silly fireplace shorting out just don't sit with me and I know beyond doubt that there are thousand of them out there that is trouble free - it is just a trust issue with me I guess.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have two Lasko Towers, run one on each circuit: http://www.iallergy.com/product822/product_info.html
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have a tower electric heater. Very quiet but it does eat up the amps,Not sure there is any $$ advantage using the heater over just setting the furnace at 70 or so.We seldom use it as it usually does not get cold enough in this part of Florida.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
We have used a Pro-Com 2 panel or 10,000 BTU propane heater when boon docking, I tapped into the propane line under the cupboard where the hot water heater is, always leaving a window cracked it has been just fine, really puts out the heat
When hooked up we use one of those Eden-Pure heaters, picked it up at a second hand store and also works great as a small table between the chairs
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote