Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Up in Smoke

Early this morning while drowsely watching morning news, heard a loud snap & pop and the tv went small. Jumped up, ran outside and unhooked. Evidently a power surge hit 1/4 of the park and most of us have suffered undetermined amount of damage. The park electrician has not arrived yet 5 hours later. Question for all you more electrically skilled than I (thats everybody) Once they have "fixed" the power problem, should I try rehook to 110? Or will it possibly do more damage? We are here (Oregon Coast) to celebrate Thanksgiving with our son (freshman in college), and are really up in the air about how to approach this problem. I did call a local traveling RV repair guy and his machine said "have a happy Thanksgiving" I'll be back next Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mountainmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Seems to me that you have a choice or two. You can hang around that park and see what happens. Talk to others about their power before you connect yours. Or you could bug out to a new park, insisting this park give you a refund because they failed to provide services paid for. Before hooking back up I would use a tester to check for good service.

If you got lost power because of a blown transformer or a blown line fuse because a limb fell across the line or a squirrel got fried, you may be ok. If you had a power surge, you need to check all your electronics for serviceability especially if you did have surge suppression or surge protection hardware protecting your coach.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
To answer the once the power comes back question. I would let some others power up first. If they have no problem then you should not either. As to the damage to your unit only a system check once power arrives will tell you what is happening.
One recommended way to power up in an unknown situation is to turn off all the circuit breakers. Once power is restored to the park turn on the two 30 AMP breakers (masters or main) and then selectively turn on one breaker at a time. I would try just lights and then finally the hot water heater and furnace.
A note - Some appliances will not work without 12 VDC. Your battery should be fine but you may have lost the converter so once you get stable with all powered items checked out you can test your converter by disconnecting the NEGATIVE terminal. Make sure it is not touching anything. This is has removed the battery from your system. With the converter powered up you should have 12VDC lights. If not connect the NEGATIVE lead to the negative battery terminal. If you have lights now then the bad news is you have problems.
I hope this helps. Best of luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Another argument for a surge protector. Too many people have lost too much due to failure of park power to not make it economically sound to have a surge protector. My feeling is you need something that will detect low and high power such as the Surge Guard. It only takes one loss to make a person wish they had done something to prevent the loss. I learned from someone else who lost about $2,000.00 worth inside their rig due to park power failure and they didn't get reimbursed by the park. The park's argument was that they had no control over incoming power.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I installed my protector a few weeks ago and hopefully I don't need to find out if it works or not. I got the same as Ozz and yes Ozz I finally installed it and the green lights are on. All the reports of electrical problems will just get worse because a lot of the RV parks are getting older and the electrical is getting worn out. Yes we do need protectors more now then ever. Also look closely at the 30 amp plugs for discoloration as then could have been hot and burned the contacts inside the plug. Afew minutes of time might be quite worth while.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You need to move.....
Good work Mickey!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
6:00 pm update. Thanks for all the input. Have been at this RV site many time before, but yeah, probably should move. Complications!! It looks now like my converter is blown. Before I'll leave I want confirmation of whats been toasted. The RV site (I'll name it if anyone wants) has admitted fault. The surge was internal and they are admitting that. Need to fill out claims before I leave to get reimbursed by their insurance co.

I have an 06 3400RL, again electrically challenged, Where is the convertor?? I need to get it located so I can get info to try to replace it tomorrow or my wife will be roasting more than the turkey. Appreciate all your input. Bought a surge supressor on Sunday at CW. A day too late, should have installed it last night. Probably an expensive lesson.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The converter is behind the breaker panel in the bathroom.

While you're in there, and with the 110v turned off, tighten all of the wire lugs.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Michael, Do I need to completley remove the breaker panel to get to the convertor. Is there a model# for the convertor that you know of? Would Camper World possibly have one? I know, alot of questions that maybe impossible to answer.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I had this happened to me and it was a unpleasant experience and a $500.00 deductible insurance claim.Total damage was about $2500.00.Do yourself a favor and get a surge guard,either portable or hard wire one,I got a permanent one and installed myself.(portable ones came disappear due to the cost).I don't know why these aren't included from the factory.When this happened the rv next to me started on fire.If this would of happened during the night the outcome could of been more than property damage.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
grayka,
Where did you mount your surge protector. I am ready to install mine. do you have pictures.
Thanks,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These things happen all to often...although surge guards can be costly it still cost lesss than that 500 $ deductible. We even have it connected here at the stick house and we had 2 power bumps last week.( Drunk hit a pole ) and took out a transformer
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
On my 3475 it is mounted behind the power panel. Changing it could be a challenge. If you have arms that are 6 foot long,good luck. I think it would be easier to come up from the bottom and install a grille when finished. They build the camper around them. Your,s can be completely different then mine. Like said previously check and tighten all electrical connections while you are there. Also might not be a bad idea if you have to replace the converter install the IQ4 SMART CHARGER. Save the battery from over charging.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like hazmic said, it is difficult to get out. Sorry, don't have a model number, but as said, go with the IQ4, even if you have to pay the difference.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Mickey & Michael thanks for the suggestion, Who makes the IQ4-Smart Charger? Do Montana dealers usually stock it? I have an appointment Monday am with a dealer in Portland to go over it. The GFI in the kitchen keeps poping and lots of other related electrical things. Thanks again for the help
Old 11-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
mountainmole the IQ4 is an Iota device. If your going to Gresham RV they should have them available in parts. They just plug in like a phone line and just screw the device to a wall where you can see the led.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Like Bob said your dealer that sells the IOTA converter should be able to get the smart charger for you. I think if you look at IOTA web site the one you would want is the 55 amp one. That is what mine is. Our camper has a round vent right beside the converter and had the grandson reach up and plug the smart charger in and brought the cord down through the vent and screwed smart charger to the ceiling with one of the existing vent screws. Hope this helps.