Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
adding slideout vavle

I want to add a valve to the bedrom slide so that I can open the main slide without openning the bedroom.
The question is, do I have to use two valves or can I just put one valve on the push out line, since the bedroom always comes in first.
It seens easier to only install one and why have to open and close two if it is not needed.

Has anybody done this or know if I need two.
Any help would be appreciated

thanks

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
mtheo,

Judging from the way my 4-valves are configured on our quad slide, I would say you should only need the one valve. We had a 2955 double slide, and the bedroom always went out and came in first. Still does on this quad. Should do the trick for you.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
My pump has a valve that operates each slide independently. Yours must be set up differently.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The valve set was an option on my 2007.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
The 3 valve manifold was an option in my 2980RL and I think you can get one through the manufacturer. The knob on the screw valves are hard to turn when cold but they work just fine. I don't remember who the manufacture is but I do remember them working with MOCkers (new word?) to change over systems in the past.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
I have an uncle that just bought a new mountaineer..it did not come with the selectable valves. He went into a dealer here in Vegas and was quoted 300 dollars for the valve.....Good luck...Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Not inexpensive to purchase from dealer (Lippert) but they are available. As I recall, they have a two valve and up available. Now, that said, if you always want to have the main slide open regardless, then you should be able to go to a good 'hydraulics' shop and have them make a single valve assembly and the hose. Put it so that you can shut off the fluid going to the bedroom slide while still leaving fluid going to the main. My neighbor with a different brand put a valve on the main slide -- figured he wanted to be able to open the bedroom slide when making short stops when traveling but the main could stay shut. Cost him a little over 200 for the valve and hoses he needed -- had them made at a farm tractor repair facility.

(Had to edit that last sentence - as originally typed, sounded like he was driving down the road with the Bedroom slide open -- definitely not the case .)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
mtheo,

Our Challenger was not equipped with the IRC valves. I wanted to be able to do exactly the same thing you are talking about. Being employed at Lippert at the time made it simple, I was able to purchase an IRC at cost.

Now, the Challenger is equipped with 4 slide rooms. All I wanted to do was control the bed slide seperate from the 3 main floor slides. Ideally, I would have liked to have a quad IRC valve body for all 4 rooms but, I did not want to take the time or the under belly loose and string 3 more hydraulic hoses to the quad IRC.

So, here is what I did. If you study the hosing on you your system, you will discover that you have two hydraulic hoses going thru the floor to the bed slide hydraulic cylinder and two hoses going to the main floor rooms back down thru the side of the coach. That means that on top of the pump, there are two "tees" threaded into each port on top of the pump and that no matter how many main floor slide rooms there are, those hydraulic cylinders are looped together. One in the extend side and one in the retract side with two hoses hooked to each one. I simple purchased a double IRC that would be used to control two slide rooms and without having to add additional hoses to the pump. I disconnected the two hoses to the "tee" and removed the "tee" from the pump. I had to thread in the pump port a special 90 degree elbow and then thread the double IRC to the elbow. Once that was done, I simply connected the hoses back to the two ports on the back side. I mounted the the IRC in the port on top of the pump that is closest to you as you stand there looking at the pump. Total time to mount and connect the double IRC, 12 minutes.

The type of valve I used was the newer style 1/2 turn valves instead of the older "twisty" knobs because, the valve block is constantly under pressure, no matter which position the rooms are in, they are much easier to turn 1/2 turn to open or close the valves.

Now, I can operate only the bed slide in and out by closing the valve for the main rooms or, I can close the bed slide valve and operate the three main floor slides. Also, since our Challenger is equipped with the hydraulic landing gear legs ( another Lippert employee perk), when I am hooking the coach to the truck, before I raise the unit to back under, with the rooms already closed, I have to close both valves. If I don't, when I hit the switch to extend the landing gear legs to raise the coach, I'll have the rooms going out and the front of the coach dropping down. Don't want that!

So, if you contact Lippert, you should be able to purchase via UPS COD, a double 1/2 turn IRC with fittings and have your unit do the same thing in 10 or 15 minutes yourself if you have a set of open end wrenches.

Any other questions, I'd be delighted to discuss them here for the benefit of everyone.

Dale
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Great job and great write up Dale!
To make it simple. You must turn off the hydraulic fluid to the rooms you do not want to open. Turn on the fluid to the rooms you want open.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Thank You for all the help.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote