Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
And yet another problem

One of my propane tanks is empty and cannot be filled. The guys tried every trick they knew. They say the valve is frozen.

It's just keeps getting better & better.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
try going to a different propane place. Maybe the technicial didn't know how to work the OPD.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I agree with Tim. with out the proper end on the filler at the propane place, it is pretty hard to fill these new tanks. I fill mine at work and it can take next to forever.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had the same thing happen to me, I took it to 2 different gas stations and they both told me the tank was bad. I took it to Suburban Propane and they filled it. The guy at Suburban Propane says that it is common for the attendants at the gas stations to open the valve to fast and the new valves have a safety feature that will not allow gas to escape or for it to fill. He opened the valve very slowly and the tank took the gas just fine. I have never had the problem with that tank again.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I wish it was that easy. We took two identical tanks over to be filled, one worked and the other didn't. I've filled several tanks there in the past without problems. These guys do a lot of propane so it's probably safe to assume they know what they're doing. Probably......

That being said I will certainly try a different place before I replace the tank/valve or whatever.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Jack Neihouse

M.O.C. #5950
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Neihouse
I just had to buy a new tank because the valve wouldn't allow filling. Took it to three different places and no one could fill it (including Suburban Propane). The guy where I had the new tank filled had originally tried to fill the old one, but to no avail. He was going to get the company that picks up the old tanks to look at it and maybe find out what the problem is. I have never had a problem filling any of my propane tanks before and have always used the same propane dealer in the past.
Jack Neihouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The OPD's are replaceable, think they are about $15, but the replacement has to be done with a special tool that the propane companies should have.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I On one of my trips to the propane dealer locally I asked about what happens when an OPD sticks and won't fill. He told me they had some tool or mechanism to drain the tank. As this was casual conversation I don't know the details. This makes sense to me as what would anyone do with a filled propane tank that cannot be fueled or used.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
take a look at:

http://mosquito-magnets.com/product_...products_id=12

This is a reset tool.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Suburban was able to fill it, no problems.