Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Tire Care

I'm sure everyone has noticed that when their rig is parked on cement that some black marks are left when they pull out. This, I'm told, is caused by the chemical reaction between the cement and the rubber. As a precaution, I use old plastic place mats under each tire when I'm parked on cement for more than a couple days. Voila! No black marks!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good idea Orv!

I have epoxy floors in my garage, and they recommended something for parking over extended times to keep it from lifting the finish as a result of that chemical reaction. I used masonite panels but they don't handle the water well. I think I'll try placemats (got some ugly one picked out already!).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
All I have to do is drive on my cement and it leaves black marks. You should see it after I back the rig in next to the house, I think I turn the steering wheel about 50 times. Don't get any marks on my epoxy garage floor and the dually will sit there for months at a time. Don't use anything under the tires.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I never noticed black marks under the tires from a vehicle sitting in one place for a period of time. Now I also have those darn black marks in the drive from backing the boat, and other vehicles into the garage. I guess I better start paying closer attention. Thanks for the heads up and fix Orv!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It is nothing to be concerned with as it is just the nature of the beast. The tires are not being harmed and they are not going to wear out prematurely. Placing plastic bags or anything else isn't going to hurt but it just ain't necessary for the tires. As far as the finish lifting. This is either the finish has not properly cured or it could be a chemical reaction between the rubber and the finish. For that reaon you may want to park on some sort of protective material.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote