Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Save 30-40 cents per gallon with the TSD Fuel card

I know there has been a little discussion regarding this however there is not a dedicated thread for the TSD Fuel Card.

As some of you know large trucking companies have contracts with truck stop fuel stations like Loves, Flying J, Pilot and others. They get serious discounts when fueling Typically $.30 - $.50 per gallon discounts, this is from the volume buying power they have.

A company TSD Logistics (40 year old company) based in Texas has a program that allows small independent truckers, small trucking companies and yes RV-er's to join and take advantage of the same Diesel group
buying discounts the large trucking companies enjoy.

It is a very simple concept you apply online, within 1 Week TSD will call to verify you are a real person and get your banking info and then they will send you your Fuel Debit card that will be linked to you personal checking account.

You will then pull up to the commercial pumps use your debit card (like any other card you used in the past) it will show you the published "cash" price and that is all you will see at the pump. Once you are done you go into the TSD/EFS app on your phone and it will show you the discount and what you actually paid and it will show you the discount.

Now whatever the discount is TSD will take 10% so say the discount was $.40 per gallon TSD will take $.04 and then the funds will be taken out of your checking account in a day or two less the 10% TSD fee.

Also you know when you pull up to the pumps and they ask for a "Control Number" and you do not have one so you have to go inside and pre pay. well with the TSD card you get a Control Number so this will eliminate that hassle also.

I have now had my Card for two months used it twice Saved $.34 and $.35 (after TSD 10%), both were at Loves.

There is a place on the application for a referral you can use "lightsout" however it is not a requirement.

Here is a great video that also explains how it works (skip to 8:50 on video).

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Have been using EFS a long time. Discounts have ranged from $0.28 to $0.71
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I just got the one and used it for the first time on recently completed trip. Savings ranged from $4 to $9 each fill up. Makes truckstop prices lowest around. Card works at truckstop pumps so no longer have to go inside...saves time...saves money....great!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Just got mine

I just received the card a week or so ago. Used it for the first time yesterday at a TA truck stop near Canton, OH. Advertised price was $3.15. Price after discount $2.46.

Use the EFS app to locate best prices along your route.

Great savings!
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Is there a difference between TDS and EFS?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
They are the same.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Pilot, Loves, etc prices are already INFLATED and I would NEVER give my bank acct # to something like this.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Pilot, Loves, etc prices are already INFLATED and I would NEVER give my bank acct # to something like this.
Gave them my secondary bank account..used strictly for atm or online purchases. True, their prices are inflated, but when you factor in the discount, they become cheaper than anyone around.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Set up a dedicated account just for this card. Also you checking account is insured against fraud making this no real risk in the event of a compromise. Check out TSD Logistics they are 40 year old company with a stellar reputation.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Old school vs new school
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I am usually of the same school, but like many we pay several bills the same way ,and have done so for years. This fuel card is no different. I suppose it makes sense if you are that worried ,open a separate account. I would worry a lot more about how some use Paypal, I definitely would use a separate account , with just enough to cover whatever I bought .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Set up a dedicated account just for this card. Also you checking account is insured against fraud making this no real risk in the event of a compromise. Check out TSD Logistics they are 40 year old company with a stellar reputation.

After talking to a nice lady at TSD , I have no problem with them. Pretty good way to save a few bucks on diesel .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Opened a savings account at Wells Fargo years ago for emergencies when traveling and never used it. Just applied for the card and tied it to that account so I don't have to worry about our primary checking account. Looking forward to getting and using the card. Besides the savings, not having to go into the building and leave them my card because I didn't have a control number would be worth it by itself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
After talking to a nice lady at TSD , I have no problem with them. Pretty good way to save a few bucks on diesel .
I agree very small risk over all, also consider it is backed by EFS (A WEX Company) who manages hundreds of millions in fleet fuel transaction this is not a fly by night operation.

Besides there is a $200 limit on non diesel transaction and and all other charges must be for diesel at the pump and it only works at a few limited brands of commercial fuel stations.

@DQDick I agree to not have to go inside and leave a card or pay is worth it alone...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
In practicality the discounts are not as described ...unless fill up at the inflated truck pumps. If you fill up at other locations that are typically lower than the typical truck pump prices along freeways, then the discounted price from the inflated base price compared to the normally lower price is the real comparison. I guessing the real discount is far less that the claims. using that criteria.

For example if I fill up at my local gas station for 2.59 for diesel but the Loves truck pump price is 2.99 but I can get a 40 cent discount then the compare is 2.59 vs 2.99-.36(40cents minus 4 cents to TSD)=2.63 means my local pump is still cheaper by about 4 cents. but if I buy from Loves regularly then yeah its a good deal. Still gotta use the gray matter before buying fuel. ugh.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
In practicality the discounts are not as described ...unless fill up at the inflated truck pumps. If you fill up at other locations that are typically lower than the typical truck pump prices along freeways, then the discounted price from the inflated base price compared to the normally lower price is the real comparison. I guessing the real discount is far less that the claims. using that criteria.

For example if I fill up at my local gas station for 2.59 for diesel but the Loves truck pump price is 2.99 but I can get a 40 cent discount then the compare is 2.59 vs 2.99-.36(40 cents minus 4 cents to TSD)=2.63 means my local pump is still cheaper by about 4 cents. but if I buy from Loves regularly then yeah its a good deal. Still gotta use the gray matter before buying fuel. ugh.
That would be a rare exception, we recently drove from So Cal to north of Seattle on I-5, especially while in California we watched gas prices close on two apps along I-5, were watched for the lowest priced Diesel, the app showed us not only truck stops but also non commercial fuel stations. While prices vary it varied in both directions sometimes non commercial was lower and sometimes commercial was lower, not once did we see if I recall more than 10-15 cents variable between fuel stops in any one region.

However when you are pulling 42' your fuel choices are limited unless you want to unhook.

I just did a city search on Gas Buddy out of 10 fuel stations the Pilot truck stop ($2.95 before discounts) was lower then the other 10 nearest non commercial fuel stations Most were in the $3.35 range.

While there may be some non commercial that are lower in other parts of the country, there is no metric that substantiates your math. Maybe the TSD will not save as much for some but I do know for me it is significant especially since i carry 80 gallons and fuel locally before every trip and since the Pilot near me is on average $0.30 below most non commercial stations the savings are huge.

Look if I find in my travels if I can buy Diesel cheaper at a non TSD station I will but having the TSD option is also good to have which I will likely use 90% of the time especially with Pilot being close to me.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Exactly my point. I only cited one example of how the claimed savings may not materialize as stated. You still have to do the math before you buy to determine whether or not you will save any money or how much if you do. I'm not saying there isn't a place for the TSD card in your planning... jus that you have to carefully weigh apples to apples and account for convenience and out of your way travel to get better prices etc. before saying that the TSD card is this panacea for fuel savings. It is still buyer beware.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #18
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
TSD Logistics Fuel Card

I have been using the TSD card for numerous months and it first saves you dollars and second lets you use the convenience of the truck stop pulling an RV without the hassle of not being able to use a cc outside at the pump. Never had an issue with billing or financials. Works great. Win, Win.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks for this info! Had never heard of this specific card but will fill out the application when we return from Mexico next month! (We do not Rv in Mexico, btw.)
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I set up a separate bank account for the ESF card, there is only enough in there to pay for diesel, not much else. Also, there are stations that will accept the ESF card, but are not participants in the program....so they will bill you for the full amount...no discount.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote