Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Where we are and what has happened

Well Gang this has been a learning thing I must say, We did get out of frozen Elko on the First of Dec. and the temp. was the same all the way to AZ. so we decided to drop more south and are now in a small town in AZ in a very nice park that we may rest up for a couple of days and I get WI-Fi internet, this has been exciting because I have never had a chance to use before now.... We really did a BOO-BOO to our Montana, We had a Glass door case sitting in the back and durning the trip it bounced the door open and we did not see it and tried to put out the kitchen slide and it got hung on the glass door and pulled the side of the slide panel off at the bottom... OH! ME! But with a little pushing and shoving we got it back in place and now will put new screws to hold in the bottom it will be good as new....I HOPE....

Well I will get out of here for now and hope to be able to get back on tomorrow because Walt wants to stay and watch the ball games that come on on Saturdays...Uggggggg!!!!!!!

Please look over all mistakes as this lap top is hard to get used to..LOL

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Prariepoodle,
I did the same thing with our dog dish. We use to put then in the rear corner on the kitchen floor and left them there when towing. I must have stopped hard one time and the dish moved forward next to the slide with it in. When I put it out the dish did not pop out it wedged and caused the edging and molding at the bottem to be pushed out. I put it back in place and moved the dog dish.
The other slide event was the plastic cover for on the the ceiling lights came lose and landed on top of the slide. It was perpendicular to the slide and went out the rubber seal but broke the plastic. Check the top of the slides or look at the ceiling lights before puttint them out. Also if you have the 2395 make sure the desk drawers are closed. They will cause problems also. I have not had it happen just thinking out loud. So now I do a walk-about (sorry the Australian came out) before putting the slides out or in.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Prairepoodle - Good to hear from you and thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Sounds like you where able to make a quickie repair. Impressed that you have WI-FI in your small town in Arizona. What town are you guys in? So, how did it feel driving down the ol' road with Monty?
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Sorry everyone we are in Willcox AZ. In a very nice RV park called Magic Circle RV Park.. it is a good sam park. Now for the Montana it has been wonderful to pull and the new truck has done a very good job. We have went over some very high mountains and was amazed how well both of them did. I did see a Montana parked in a little park somewhere along the route but cannot remember just where.... It was 62 degrees when we got here today and they say that it could get colder at night but at least It won't be like it was in Elko... In a little while I will post pictures on my picturetrailes site so you can see what we left and where we are now...

OH! If anyone ever gets to this place this park is a very good place to stay, the people are very nice and so willing to help..

I can't help it, I have to say it, I LOVE MY MONTANA!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good to hear from you prairepoodle. Happy to hear your having a safe trip. Sorry about your problems.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
With the exception of a slide situation it sounds like you are enjoying your Arizona adventure and your new Monty. Can't wait to see the pics.

BTW- You can get a standard keyboard for that laptop. The first thing I bought after I got my new laptop was a keyboard and a mouse.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Hope it wasn't too bad. We are out of here on Mon Or Tues. for So Tx. Just found out the soft ware we bought to hook up to cell phone won't work. Don't the right verison of windows on laptop. So only time I will be on forum is when we go to Libary.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the Southwest. At least you will be warm to work on the Monty. Mosey over to Texas and get really warm. Glad you found a great Good Sam place. Have a great adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, sorry to hear about the boo-boo but I'm glad it wasn't more serious. And we're very excited for the two of you that you've finally got started on your first adventure with the Montana. Here's hoping the rest of the trip goes very smoothly and enjoyably.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Good Morning Gang, Well it is a little after 4 AM here and as always I can't sleep, just too excited I guess. We have decided to stay on interstate 10 all the way across the great state of Texas to Gulf Port Ms. and then hwy 49 to Hattiesburg. They want us to be there on the 8th but don't know how long it will take to travel that far. So far we have been making around 400 to 500 miles a day except for the first one.

Fuel has not been too bad we have found it for 2.09 to 2.25 so far but hope to find some even lower than that.

Well guess I had better get started getting things put away so when it gets daylight we can get out of here. I will check back in if I get lucky enough to find another WI-FI park...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 AM   #11
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Wow - what troopers you are -- 400 to 500 miles a day is a lot of ground to cover. May you continue to make happy memories on your way to Hattiesburg and continued safe trails to you .......
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Linda,

Glad you are enjoying your travels. It's good to hear that you "Love your Montana". Be safe.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

Well Gang this has been a learning thing I must say, We did get out of frozen Elko on the First of Dec. and the temp. was the same all the way to AZ. so we decided to drop more south and are now in a small town in AZ in a very nice park that we may rest up for a couple of days and I get WI-Fi internet, this has been exciting because I have never had a chance to use before now.... We really did a BOO-BOO to our Montana, We had a Glass door case sitting in the back and durning the trip it bounced the door open and we did not see it and tried to put out the kitchen slide and it got hung on the glass door and pulled the side of the slide panel off at the bottom... OH! ME! But with a little pushing and shoving we got it back in place and now will put new screws to hold in the bottom it will be good as new....I HOPE....

Well I will get out of here for now and hope to be able to get back on tomorrow because Walt wants to stay and watch the ball games that come on on Saturdays...Uggggggg!!!!!!!

Please look over all mistakes as this lap top is hard to get used to..LOL
Glad to see your mishap was not too back. Our maiden voyage a month or so back was also had a minor problem. In our washer/dryer closet, the misses left a bottle of liquid cheer not secured. Of course, it slid off the shelf during our initial leg of the trip hitting the floor bursting the plastic cap. We spent the first hour of our stop that night cleaning up liquid soap on the floor and the carpet. What a soapy mess. Take care and happy trails.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
As the saying goes.... "Been there and done that". Our first trip out one of the drawers in the rear desk came open and caught the edge of the slide as it was going out. Sort of tore up the slide facing as well as the desk drawer. Was still under warranty and since it was caused by a defective drawer catch.... was fixed under warranty. We've also caught slides on chairs, cans of vegetables, doors that have come open.... and just about everything else... Our routine now is to make sure doors and drawers stay shut but just in case they don't we also run out the slides just a few inches then do a quick check to make sure they are free and clear. Each time I've had to put the slides back on they've gotten a little stronger. Good luck and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Stay warm....
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, just checked your "where are we." Looks like you and Mary Kay are at home.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:06 PM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Sorry about the mishap. It all ways happens in a new unit until you have all the experiences of what can go wrong.

Don't hurry away from Wilcox. You are close to a lot of neat places including Tombstone. Wilcox is in the area that J A Jance places her Joanna Brady mystery series. It sounds like you are headed east across New Mexico through turquise country Then into Texas Hill country. What a wonderful itinerary. I wish we were going that way just now. Here we are stuck for a month or two just resting up. Have a terrific trip.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Linda,
I see where you plan on taking I-10. You might be interested in reading some of the comments made on the Escapees forum regarding this highway. Apparently it is very bad in several places especially in LA. Good luck.

I-10
info. Escapees Thread

HamRad

PS... Steve, We are home. We were down in the Los Angeles area for about a week around Thanksgiving. Mary Kay continues to do well as long as she remembers to NOT overdo things. Hope all is well with you folks. We've been having a real cold snap out here. Hasn't gotten over 60 degrees in about a week and down around 32 every morning for the past week. Strangely enough it is even colder in some places south of us!

See you.... HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:42 AM   #18
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
It can get REAL cold in the high country of Arizona!

Your comments on fuel prices got my interest, so I did a quick search this AM and found some numbers which should bring some more joy to your travel. I didn't notice if you are using diesel or regular fuel, but as you go south and east, prices/gal get considerably better. (Statewide averages) AZ-$2.12 Reg, $2.24 Diesel; NM-1.91 Reg,2.16 Diesel; TX-1.82 Reg, 2.03 Diesel; MS 1.86 Reg, 2.04 Diesel. Good old CA is averaging $2.26 Reg, $2.38 Diesel.

A reliable, quick web site to check gas prices is a AAA site, http://198.6.95.31/sbsavg.asp. You can go to individual cities from the basic site mentioned here.

Safe Travels, and enjoy the warmth as you head south. It is pretty cold here in Bakersfield, as Hamrad mentioned, and today will get real miserable with rain, wind and cold.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:49 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pat, I get page not found when I click that link. Could you doublecheck? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve (and others):

I just tried it, and also got the "can't be done" thing...I did, however, do a "cut and paste" into IE, without the ending period, and it worked fine. I think the problem was the period at the end of the sentence..here is the link again, without the dreaded "false dot".

http://198.6.95.31/sbsavg.asp

Should work fine now..

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote