Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
What to monitor

I got my Edge Insight today. http://www.edgeproducts.com/products...3830&x=10&y=18 What are you monitoring when you tow? What do you suggest I monitor when I tow. With the 2011 F350 DRW 6.7PS I already have the manufacture gauges of Boost, Engine Oil Temp (EOT), and Trans temp (TOT). I am looking at monitoring the EGT 1, 3, & 4; with Engine load, and regen ststus.

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
I have an Insight also and find the most important thing to watch is pre-turbo EGT when towing. With these newer trucks and all of the emission crap on them, I've found that EGT runs significantly higher than my 2005 did, especially when towing. I was always under the impression that EGT should not exceed 1350 for any period of time, but watch yours when you are towing a load and a regen starts. Mine will got to 1425-1450 until the regen is done. Not a comfortable feeling!

I assume you must have sensors already in place at various points in the exhaust stream if you can monitor 3 EGT points. To me, the most important is pre-turbo and required installation of a sensor to accomplish that. If you already have one at that point, you're ahead of the game; if not, I would suggest adding one.

Enjoy your Insight - I know I do.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Guess I will go against the tide here. After 15 years of pulling with four different diesels, and never having a vehicular problem while towing, transmission temperature is my primary concern followed by engine temperature. I do check the stock boost gauge. Rest of my attention is focused on watching every vehicle in sight and the road ahead with occasional checks of my tires in the mirrors. This new 6.7 we bought in November has the fancy computer readouts, and is supposed to warn me of problems; guess we will see how that works. Only thing I have noticed with Regens, (no guage) is that my milage drops, and then comes back up when regen is complete. That is a pretty fancy monitoring system you have.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks Mike for the reply that gives me some real world data to take into account when I tow. As far as sensors go I am using the stock ones that come with the new Ford. There are 4 EGT sensor (post turbo, post DOC, post SCR, post DPF), but it will not show the EGRT sensor values - one of which would represent effectively pre-turbo.

1retired06, I also have not had any issues towing with three (99, 06, and 11) Ford PSD…but I thought this time I would get some gauges and just keep an eye on it.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I monitor 10 different things, but I'm pulling 200 more HP than you are. If I were you I would keep a check on 4 different things.
Engine coolant temperature and engine oil. After warm up they be within a couple degrees of each other. If they aren't it could spell big trouble. Like the oil cooler stoped up or coolant in the oil.
Next would be transmission temperature.
Then exist gas temperature.
Truth is Ford has protected your engine very well and you probably cant hurt it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I have the Edge Evolution on my 2006 Ford. I monitor Pre-Turbo EGT (with added sensor), Engine Coolant Temps, Engine Oil Temps and Trans Oil Temps. I have never had issues while towing but knowing the temps has changed my driving habits. I am no longer "pedal to the medal" climbing grades.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
So mlh, do I understand that you are running 600 horse power? The 6.7PS only has 400 horse power and 800 ft. pounds torque. I already have gauges for Boost, Engine Oil Temp (EOT), and Trans temp (TOT), and now monitoring EGT 1, 3, & 4; soot concentration, engine load %, and regens. I hear that Ford has the computer monitoring the pre turbo temps and will control the throttle when things get too hot. Anyone with a Ford 6.7 using the Edge Insight?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Fire5er I think you are checking everything you need to worry about. I think I,m wright in saying this your truck will defuel before your EGT gets so high it will damage your turbo., at 1400 or 1450 I think. At any rate Ford is not going to let you damage your engine. I'm convinced you have the best engine ever put in a pickup. I think time will prove that.
ENJOY
Lynwood
Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Lynwood,
I agree with you that the 6.7 is the best engine ever put in a pickup. I guess that I am just a bit leery after all the issues the 6.0 had (I had a 2006 F350), and I had a few issues. I didn’t have gauges with the 6.0 (not that it would have help with the issues I had - Transmission and Head Gasket leaks - $$$$) and just want to be able to monitor what is going on so I can see when things aren’t right. So far the 6.7 has been a pleasure to drive and to tow with, and I do ENJOY driving it. Thanks for the input.
Karl
Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Karl several years ago, maybe 15, a friend who is sells engine rebuild equipment showed me an article in a trade magazine about a new material that could be used to make engine blocks. It was far superior to cast iron, it was much harder and much more wear resistant and lasted much longer. The problem was you could not machine it on a production basis. Since then new cutting tools have been developed that will cut the stuff. Before you could not cut 1 cylinder with a tool before it got dull. The material is compacted graphite iron and it what your engine is made of. The only other vehicle that that I know of that uses CGI is the Kenworth 7000 series truck. Your truck also has reverse flow heads. The air comes in the bottom of the heads and and out the top to reduce pluming to about half, just like the turbo V8 BMWs.
Yes I am running 600+ HP. I have been saying 580 HP but I talking to a guy that reworks GM cars, and he figured I was over 600. He takes a Cadillac CTS V and increases its to 690 HP on the first step and 790 rear wheel HP second step, and a Z06 Corvette to over a 1000 rear wheel HP.
Some people buy campers some golf some buy boats some spend money on cars. All men like their toys, and that is why he called me. He wonted a powder measure so he could reload ammo.
Lynwood