Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Where is Keystone taking the Montana line?

We went to the local RV show this weekend.
We checked out the Alpine. According to the salesman, the Alpine is placed "way above" the Montana and is intended to compete with Montana. Montana has had five great years and it's time for something better. So, we asked for specifics. The Alpine has a nice interior, but not much different than the current Montanas, except for stainless fascia on the appliances. Nice lights, a "walk-in" closet, LED step lights and motion-sensing scare lights. Brass bushings, wet-bolts, BUT still carrying Marathon tires. DOH! Air-conditioner is a heat pump, so it can run on propane (to be verified) AND heat the coach. Improved flooring in the basement with tiedowns. In the end, just a variation on the theme, but it was enough to make us go take a look. Frankly, we started looking at SOB's, too. So, why is Keystone dividing its market by not offering the same features on the Montanas? Brand loyalty is hard to build and easy to lose.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

How does it compare with the Montana concerning the cost?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think this is an overzealous salesperson trying to make his stuff the best, number one, better than what's most popular, at all cost kind of salesmanship. When someone doesn't stick to the features of their product and starts bashing others, especially from their own company, I walk away and go find someone that doesn't need to do this. If your product is good enough one doesn't need to do this.

I would always expect the announcement of something that big to come from Keystone, not some random salesman at an RV show.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
While we were waiting for our rigs at Keystones service facility some of us took the Alpine tour. The insides showed very well, but so did the new Montana's. I don't remember all the particulars, but those of us who discussed it came away with the feeling that the Alpine had a much cheaper infrastructure than the Montana and was basically more show than guts. I really don't remember everything that jumped out at us because I was busy looking at what cute things they had that I could steal. I'm already working on getting the motion sensor light and the curved railing to install on my Montana. I know the way the Level Up was installed started us looking and we found a number of issues from that point.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Have looked at several Alpines and came to wonder why build something similar to a Montana and call it something else? Only answer I can find is market share. They can put the dealers closer to Montana dealers and hopefully pick up a little more business. We all know that the RV business is not seeing it's best days just now. So, what would be wrong with putting your effort into the current best seller, to be loyal to your dealers, who are struggling by the way, not to mention reassuring your most faithful customers that you are going to be faithful to them? IMHO If you removed the grafics and logos from an Alpine and from a Montana and parked them next to each other, you would really see how similar they are, then throw in a Big Sky, and the party's over. Larry PS You should dance with the one who brought you.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Heat pump using propane? That's a new one for me. Send that salesman back to school.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Heat pump using propane? That's a new one for me. Send that salesman back to school.

Maybe real new technology.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
The only thing I liked about the Alpine I saw was the hydraulic front landing gear. Sweet operation.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I recall discussions on this forum where there was pretty much unerversal agreement that the reason we bought Montana's is that we felt we got the most for our money with these rigs. We weren't looking for a high end, overly expensive, flawless rig but instead wanted one with some nice features, good floorplans and fairly good quality fixtures. If Keystone was to ever take out the Monty line and replace it with a more expensive upgraded line of 5er they may be making a mistake. We all ready lost one Monty dealer (at least) in our area because an SOB (can't remember the name) came along and basically outdid the Monty line in "getting more for your money".
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Had a "neighbor" park next to us a couple of months ago...they were having trouble getting their Alpine cooled down. Guess the "new" brand does not include much cooling capacity????? The interior of our Montana was cool at the time and our a/c's were not working hard at all...so much for "above" the Montana. Perhaps the "above" refers to temperature???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Parked beside a Alpine in May of this year and was tanken on a tour. The interior finish was attractive and all looked well, but they did not have a remote control. I said surely you have one and they just didn't show how to work it, but he said no, "it didn't come with one". I was suprised a more costly rig would have a remote control. The infrastructure comment above may be dead-on. The Alpine was big, beautiful, with lots of show, but just another basic 5th wheel.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Kathy and Dave, as you know, and I have said before, a salesman will say ANYTHING to make a sale. What they hope for is the one out of a hundred that believes him..
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Alpine and Avalanche are a rename for the Challenger amd Everest. Built on the same line in the same factory as the previous brands.
The Alpine and Avalanche serve a niche for those buyers looking for a bit less than the Montana/Bigsky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
That was the sales pitch with the Everest when it was being built; "that it was much better than a Montana", we bought a Montana and made the right choice as they are still building them!!
It's called "feeling the Market at the Customer's Expense"!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote