Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
triplet

M.O.C. #8363
Washing 5th W. with bleach ????

Can you wash the trailer with bleach in the water ?? Do you use a sprayer with a bleach and water mix???? How much bleach to gallon of water. Biggest question will it work and will it damage the trailer??? thanks for any help you can give me-------bernie

triplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bleach on the awnings, yes. There was a thread about this recently.

Per the makers of the decals, at Fall Rally they told us:

wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid

no waxing of decals.

Dicor says, wash roof with Dawn too.

So, Dawn all the way around, eh??

Happy cleaning.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
The Dicor rep indicated, during the rally, that we can use bleach on the roof. You need to work in small areas and rinse, rinse, rinse. If you are working on a very small area, like a spot, then straight bleach can be used, but just to clean the area and then rinse, rinse, rinse. He indicated the bleach would also help remove the mold on the roof.

Rinse, rinse, rinse is as much for the sides of the 5'er as the roof. As stated earlier, decals are not fond of bleach!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No bleach for me. I have to disagree with Dometic on using bleach on the awning. It may not harm the awning but I defy anyone keeping that bleach off the sides and even the roof. Spray it on or with just a brush out of the bucket you are bound to get that bleach where it doesn't belong. The only bleach used around here is for the laundry.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

No bleach for me. I have to disagree with Dometic on using bleach on the awning. It may not harm the awning but I defy anyone keeping that bleach off the sides and even the roof. Spray it on or with just a brush out of the bucket you are bound to get that bleach where it doesn't belong. The only bleach used around here is for the laundry.
Ditto.

IMHO, bleach can do more harm than good...it will spot soft items and remove wax from the sides...would not even guess what it would do to the decals.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I agree that straight clorine bleach weakens what ever it is in contact with. But with all the new all fabric etc... bleaches is there an IMHO about them, they say they dont harm the fabric?.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Glenn. I've never seen bleach used but what it seemed to weaken the fabric to which it was applied. I'd be really concerned if the bleach was put on the roof when Dicor recommends something as non-aggressive as Dawn dish washing soap. Dawn is safe enough even for my hands when I wash dishes, but I wouldn't put my hands into a bleach solution strong enough to take spots off the roof. What affect will a bleach solution have on the Dicor roofing material?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gonna claify, just a wee bit

I am not saying FULL STRENGTH Bleach.

Sorry, if that is what you thought I meant.

Believe there was a thread bout cleaning awnings and rolling up and all that in the last couple of weeks. I thought I read to put a little bleach in the cleaner, put on awning, roll it up, leave it.

OK, check out this thread on cleaning awnings, for what it is worth, take it from there:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30950&SearchTerms=clean,awning
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
the brochure that came from awning mfg says to clean with 1/4 cup bleach, 1/4 cup dw soap in a gal of water, apply to awning with brush, roll up for 20 min, un roll and rinse. it works,except on sap and severe stains. I've had to use tilex mildew to get off stains froma choke cherry tree.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water is still a strong solution. While Dometic is recommending this solution for cleaning the awning Dicor is not recommending bleach in any way shape or form. Trying to apply a bleach solution to JUST the awning without getting it on the Filon or Gelcoat sides plus the graphics is a task in itself.
AND if you are going to use this solution I would strongly recommend wearing old clothes and shoes. Wear a hat, gloves and goggles. Move any outdoor furniture out of the way and pick up the patio rugs.

I clean my awning on a morning after a good heavy dew. Spray on a cleaner such as Awesome or Greased Lightning. Roll up the awning and let is soak for 1/2 an hour. Roll the awning down and wipe the awning clean. Works for me everytime. For excessively stained awnings you may have to repeat the process or leave the awning rolled up longer. If still stained use a little elbow grease.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Awesome is citrus based. I would never use it on the roof. Not sure I'd use it on the awning.

Now Bounce, that's another item. Wonder what the chemicals are in Bounce that clean so well?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
The only time I use bleach is when the rubber moldings on the monty get the black spots on them. I take them off and soak overnight in a solution of bleach and water to get them like new again
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote