Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Movement in the traler

We have been using the Montana 3670RL for four and a half years now, and have seen a couple of winters in AZ. Looking forward to going back this coming winter, and am looking for any unique ideas that anyone has about keeping the trailer movement down while being in one spot for an extended time period.

So far, I've bought a tripod to put under the pin, two scissors type things that go between the wheels, and have taken the rear arm type stabilizers off in favor of the scissors jack type. All of these things have helped, but we still get more movement than I think is acceptable.

I've heard of folks putting bottle jacks under the frame near the axles to take just a bit of the weight off, but never tried that. Being as we'll be in the same spot for three months, I'm willing to go to a little trouble for good results. Thanks, Don

neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
Do a search under Glenn's rv related links. I believe he has alot of ideas listed there that will answer your very question.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
We use the same jack stands as glenn and it did help a lot. all your doing is taking some of the weight off the leaf springs. that will take some of the bounce out.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I put a set of stabilizer jacks in front of the wheels which helps, but does not remove all the movement. I have all the other things you have also.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We are using the jack stands under the frame. Bottle jacks can slowly leak down, so I think those are not as good of an option as the jack stands. Combined with the between the wheel clamps and the other things, this should help.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Go to www.jtrv.com these look good but I can tell you they aren't cheap. 495.00 for front.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to use the stabilizer jacks but later permanently mounted scissor jacks behind the wheels. They don't help much on the horizontal movement but they eliminate the up and down bouncing movement. From what I've seen they can be mounted either behind or in front of the wheels, whichever works best for your model.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Thanks for all of the input; I'll check out the various links. One thing I did notice the last two camping trips, was that while the scissors jacks that I replaced the arm type stabalizers with did take more of the up and down movement out, it actually worsened the side to side motion. I'm strongly considering putting the stock stabalizer assembly back in, and placing the scissors jacks as close to the wheels as possible. Any more input will be appreciated.
neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also mounted sissor jacks about 18 inches behind the wheels on our 2003 Montana. That helped a lot in the bouncing up and down motion. The tires that came with that Montana was the load range D tires that Montana put on for a while. We don't see as much movement on our 2005 Montana that has the load range E tires. I still plan on reinstalling the jacks this summer. WEe did notice last winter in Florida that after sitting for a while, we got the movement when walking in the RV again.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote