Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
jobi67

M.O.C. #5364
Setup and slides

Wife and I bought a new 2006 Mountaineer 335RLBS TT back in January. We are picking it up on Monday, doing the tour thing and then moving it to our summer location which is an Army Corps campground where we have worked as Gate Attendnant for the last 4 years. I have never owned a camper with slides before and read about leaks, etc. So the mind tries using logic again. When we set up I really doubt we get perfectly level every time. We are probably off a degree or two at least. Is it advantageous to allow the camper to be low on the slide side and high on the away from slide side to allow water to run away from the seals or is their really no need to worry or concern myself with this? Do you folks with experience do anything special like this? Thanks for the replies.....Mac~

jobi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You should not need to do anything special to prevent leaks - a few degrees should not be a problem for anything. If it leaks, take it back for warranty work until they get it right. Take a look at all the seals (sides, top and bottom so you'll know how they work. That way if something happens you'll know what might be wrong (seal torn, seal folded under, etc.). One thing to remember, though, is when you bring the slide in, whatever is on top of it that the opening doesn't push off comes in, too. That's some of the rationale for the slide toppers - keep it off the top of the slide and you keep it out of the TT. So if you have no topper you need to sweep off the slide before bringing it in (branches, pine cones, leaves, etc.) and even with a topper, look up there after long periods of having it out - no telling what may have made it's way up there.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
One thing on my checklist of what to do when leaving, is to do a "Spider" check up there on top of the slides. We have the awnings, but still. Wouldn't want anything to get up under the seals when closing and possibly damage the seal. You know, I didn't mind the ladybugs coming in, but if they can get in, so can the spiders! Am I paranoid about spiders? Maybe, maybe not.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
jobi67,

Congrats on the 335RLBS TT!! As you can see from my signature we have the same model. We are on our fourth year and have had only minor issues. We have set up in all kinds of places and in all kinds of weather. We have never had any problems with leaks at the slides. Enjoy your new coach.

BTW, where do you campground host? We have hosted in state parks for the last two summers.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
jobi67

M.O.C. #5364
Lamar and Debbie...we are gate attendants at the Tompkins Campground on the Cowanesque Lake and we have a sister campground which is part of our project called Ives Run on the Hammond Lake. Both are set into valleys in the picturesque northcentral Pennsylvania mountain country. Ives Run is the bigger of the two habving about 160 sites and they have several sections with full ammenities. Ives has Botanical Gardens, a visitors center, a 3D archery range and is attatched to about 13,000 acres of State Gamelands. It is very wild having deer, bear, turkey and all kinds of waterfowl. Tompkins has 128 sites and those having full hookups are all waterfront area sites. Both have extensive Hiking trails, beaches, mooring, boat launches and are very well maintained. Fishing is usually pretty good. Lot of good attractions in the nearby area in Corning ,NY with it's glass museum and Market Street Shopping center is a real treat with sidewalk cafe's, etc. To the south is Wellsboro, PA having the PA Grand Canyon along with other attractions.Finger Lakes of NY are about an hour North with their wineries.....Mac~
jobi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
jobi67,

Sounds like a wonderful area. I have a daughter who lives in Chambersburg down in South Central PA. We may have to wonder up and visit sometime.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your 1st trip out. I leave my slides out all summer down at the river, the only thing I do is cycle them in and out every 2 or 3 weeks. This will keep everything lubed and working properly. Enjoy your new home away from home.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote