Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Generator to Charge Battery

I have recently obtained a small (1000W) gas generator. It is supposed to deliver 8.2A at 120 V. This is a low end machine so I don't know how "clean" the power is. I would like to connect it to the Monty via the power cable in order to power up the converter to charge the battery. The converter is a Zantrex 80A. Is there any chance that this will damage the converter? I realize that it will take several hours to do the job at such a low current.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
EH?

With a generator that small your best bet is to use it only as a 12V charger directly to the battery or batteries. If it has a 12V output.

If it only has AC output you're probably going to overload it as soon as you plug your monty into it unles you turn all of the AC breakers except the converter. Try it!

This process is commonly known as 'The Smoke Test'.

Good luck!
MuddyPaws
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree with MuddyPaws. Power a 12vdc charger directly. Do not hook to Monty for fear of drawing too much and doing damage to to many things.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Why not use the generator to power a battery charger and charge the batteries direct from the charger?
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I think that's what John was refering to, but for sure, don't use the dc output of the generator to charge the batteries. It's not meant as a battery charger, just as a dc power source. A good charger will let you charge at different rates, and the better ones will monitor the battery's voltage and control the charge, just like the converter.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

I think that's what John was refering to, but for sure, don't use the dc output of the generator to charge the batteries. It's not meant as a battery charger, just as a dc power source. A good charger will let you charge at different rates, and the better ones will monitor the battery's voltage and control the charge, just like the converter.

Bob
I believe folks are trying to steer him away from using it with the trailer's power converter because of the converter's delicate (read expensive) construction and use the generator to power a standard 12 volt battery charger instead. At least that's what I would do.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I don't like generators for charging batteries. Nothing personal but it has to do with battery and human chemistry. A lead acid battery that is discharged can take 5 hours of bulk charge just to get back to 70% of capacity. It can take another 5 hours to get to 100%. If you don't always get back to 100% you harm the life of the battery in that it will begin to get comfortable with less than 100% and eventually refuse to take a 100% charge.

This means that for proper battery maintenance you'll need to run your generator (any generator, no matter the output capability) for at least 10 hours. This is where the human chemistry rubs against the battery chemistry, causing a high degree of friction. Nobody wants to run a generator for 10 hours at a whack. You could run it for, say, 3 hours a day but this won't be likely to get you back to full as quickly as you're consuming the juice.

The dilemma is that for most of this 10 hours you're not pushing in a whole lot of current but it's still essential for the chemistry and you have to do it with a generator that is either on or off no matter what it's putting out.

Personally, I think a solar system is better or possibly a hybrid (part generator, part solar) because it can supply something as long as there is light. Solar is far better at supplying sustained current even though it may be low current.

There is a great treatment of this at Battery University if you want to learn more.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Thanks for all your input. It looks as if the use of a good battery charger directly on the battery and using the small gen for the 120V source is the safest method. Of course the time to charge is excessive as pointed out by pbahlin. I thought of using the converter to avoid the hassle of uncovering and disconnecting the battery as I have a permanent cut on my head from hitting the landing gear cross shaft every time I stick my head down there- slow learner. I will probably forget the gen and increase the battery capacity as we usually only off power for a day or two at a time.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote