Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Satellite set ups

We have made the change from cable to Dish Network at home, partly because we would like to take the receiver and an extra dish with us when camping, if for no other reason than to see the weather. We were also disgusted with the lousy service received from our local cable provider. The only channel I could pick up the last two weeks at Unicoi SP was the Fox channel out of Atlanta, but even its picture looked like it was lost in a blizzard.

Here is where I need some feedback. While here, the technician set up a dish for traveling with 50 feet of cable. I looked at the new Camping World magazine and saw where I can order a tripod they have on sale that should work. BUT when I talked to the tech who set up my system, he indicated that the wires would probably have to run through a window since he said the Montana probably has a splitter since the signal goes to the living room and the bedroom. There are two seperate wires coming in from the dish that he set up for me, just as there are going to the receiver in the house.

What has your experience been with this? Is running the lines through the window our only option? Or is there some way to make this work with the camper’s current wiring? Also, I noticed that Camping World offers several different compasses for finding the satellite. Are these necessary, and if so, are there any that you would endorse? Any advice would be appreciated!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We use Dish Network also. Our dish has only 1 cable. I don't remember seeing anyone with two cables when we've been out. Our 5er has 2 inputs, one is for the sat system which is labeled. It is routed directly to the inside to connect with the receiver. I think there is a seperate cable inside to the bedroom tv. We don't watch tv in the bedroom, so I don't know how that works. The second cable on your antenna may be to connect a second receiver. Any compass will work, but you will have to go to Dish URL to get the azimuth/elevation info. Get the sat finder signal meter, it is worth every penny. Generally, as long as you figure the Dish sats are approximately south of Tucson/ Las Vegas, with an elevation of about 40* =-, it is fairly easy to find the signal with the meter. The 119 sat [most programs] is somewhat west of the 110 sat. It helps if there is a short, about 3 feet, cable stub on the antenna, the the longer one to the connector on the 5er. If you have the rotated dish that receives both sats, DON"T change the rotation when you're setting up. A friend has the tripod and doesn't like it, it blows over too easy. Make a setup that sits on the ground.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been using the dish for 4 years in the camper..Take the receiver from the family room into the camper. The tripod from C.W works just fine and is easy to set up,Compass and signal strength meter from C.W also makes the setup simple. None of those items is a big expense. Here is what I did on our camper..It is Terry TT. I did NOT use the camper splitter system. I just drilled a hole through the camper and installed a cable outlet just like in the house. Going through the camper wall is a very easy task.Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 drill bit will do the job. Remember to use RG-6 cable from the dish to the input of the receiver.Sounds like you have a dual LBN system that is two outputs from the dish that can go to two receivers. You would need two receivers to be able to get different channels to two TV sets.We did not do that.It is a added expense unless you already have two receivers (we have 4 in the house)We just use the one receiver in the main living area. The camper wireing uses RG-59 cable for TV..it will degrade the signal so it is best NOT to use the camper wireing. Now it WILL work (maybe) with the camper splitter system, give it a try..but the signal WILL be degraded and depending on how the splitter system is wired..may not work at all. It is important to have the tripod/dish LEVEL(we use a small level..remember the Sat is 22,500 miles up and one inch off on this end is several miles at the other. It takes us maybe 5 mins to set up using the compass and the signal strength meter..you can hear the signal come in...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Wordsmith....just sent you a PM
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
WordSmith,

We use the Dish Network Dishpro500 with dual LNBs on our coach. My '03 Mountaineer was not wired for satellite so I added this to my coach. Your coach is probably already wired for a single LNB. If so, you can connect your first TV in the livingroom using the Composite and left & right A/V connections and connect to the bedroom TV using the NTSC (f-connector)(channel 3 or 4) out on the receiver. Or, if you choose it would be relatively easy to add a second connection on the coach for a dual LNB system.

Here is a link to my WEBsite with pictures showing my installation. Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...shinstall.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. First, let me confess that I have never actively pursued cable/satellite jargon too much, so if I come off ignorant, that is why. I suppose I spent too much time learning desktop publishing jargon and a fair amount of that pertaining to Macintosh computers.

A few things about our 2003 3295RK. It only has one receptacle for a cable coaxial (?) wire, not two and it is not labeled for satellite; in fact it is not labeled. There is a data port for the computer in the compartment adjacent to it. Based on what you are telling me and what I see, I figure the unit is not satellite ready. Second, the entertainment section for the living room is in the slide out section of the unit. Lamar and Rich, since that is the case, and if I decide to do some wiring work, I presume I will have to go through the wall of the slide. Additionally, the television sits above the electric fireplace. I do not know if this would make such an undertaking easier or more difficult.

The dish that was left IS a DishPro 500. The receiver that we are using has a small UHF antenna attached so that the controller for the second tv can change channels, activate the DVR part of the unit, etc. In other words, both televisions are using the same receiver.

I apologize for being so obtuse, but have found that acting like you know something when you don’t is the surest way to never comprehend. I deeply appreciate this and any further input!

Charlie, I sent you an e-mail.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I would think all of the '03 models have sat input. Seems to me the problem is identifying where the outside connectors are [3295 owners?]. If the coax connector you're referring to is inside, and has a small slide switch just below, it's the antenna connection for your tv. The switch is the antenna amplifier on/off switch. The inside sat connection on ours is one of two unidentified coax cables where the sat receiver goes. There is an electrical outlet in the same area. The other cable is supposed to go the the bedroom tv.

Skip
Old 04-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Both Tv's can use the same receiver and will see the same channel..Don't have a 3295 in front of me so can't help you with the wireing.Just try to go through the camper as close to the Tv as you can and still do a neat job.Of course the outside input connector will have to be low enough to be able to reach it.Maybe you can go under the slideout? The RG-6 cable does NOT use the standard F connector as used with the TV input. It is a larger connector.It is important that you use RG-6 from the Dish to the input of the receiver.Maybe they will start wireing campers for satellite soon... If you do it let me know HOW you did it because we will be getting a 3295RK...
Old 04-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
Mine is a new 3295RK and it is prewired for satellite. Only thing I had to do was determine which one of the double connectors in the entertainment center came from the outside. I will only use the dish for the tv in the living room area so I am not worried about the other connector. I think what was done is if a person is using it as a cable connection it goes to the antenna booster and then back to the televisions, that way the bedroom tv can receive the cable signal. They made it very simple.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Skip, If you look at the picture of my camper in my signature, you will see the cover where the coaxial connector to which I referred is located at the absolute back of the left side of the camper, behind the slide room. The way the picture looks, it is about a foot higher than the left brake light but on the trailer’s side. There is no switch there. I have not explored inside the entertainment center but will tomorrow as we are having the television fixed.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good to know that the new 3295's are satellite ready. Again RG-6 cable should be used from the dish to the receiver input and the RG-6 connector is LARGER than the RG-59 connector. There is a difference in the frequency handeling capabilities between the RG-6 and RG-59 cables and using the RG-59 cable will degrade Satellite performance. So the larger of the connectors is the satellite input...I will have to go take a look at the 2005 3295 and see how it is wired.I did not take note when we looked at one at the RV show....
Old 04-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Just a note of clarification -

The diameter of the RG-6 and RG-59 cables are different. The RG-6 has additional shielding which makes the coax thicker. Thus, the crimp-on connectors must be a larger diameter for a RG-6 than for a RG-59. The screw-on end of the connectors (f-connectors) are the same size for the RG-59 and RG-6 and will screw onto any standard female f-connector.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good clarification..that's what I meant.I should have said the THICKER cable is the RG-6.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Wordsmith;

You could call [don't e-mail] Montana and ask them where the sat connector is on the outside of your 5er. I don't think the rear connector, which is for cable in, will work with a sat dish.
I say things like that and usually end up wrong.

Skip
Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #15
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
RG59 will work when there is a short distance between dish and receiver, 50 to 65 feet.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may use RG-59 at your own risk.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith, as you know, we have the same model and year as you, 2003 3295RK. We also have the sat prep. The outside sat connection on ours is on the kitchen slide, near the entry door. Just about behind the tv.

Also, on the bedroom closet wall just below the TV where you have the cable tv connector and boost button -- next to that is another wall plate with another connector. Below that one is a sticker that says 'satellite prep.'

If you don't have these then you probably do not have sat prep. It was an extra cost option.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The diameter of the RG-6 and RG-59 cables are different, also the center wire is much thicker and very hard to bend. You only need to have the RG-6 from the dish to the satellite receiver. You can then use any one you want, when you find the feed into the trailer then hook it to the receiver then you will need the splitter to feed the TV in the bedroom, it’s the other wire next to the satellite wire that comes into cabinet above the TV.

The tripod at CW is too small and very hard to set up and receive the satellite signal here is a web site where you can get a good tripod. Look at the 36 inch folding tripod.
http://www.merchantamerica.com/utahs...&category=2190
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can also get a larger tripod at radio shack.It is meant to be used to mount the dish on a home roof but I have been using it for a long time with the camper..It is a folding mount.I also use the tripod from CW with no problem.It is most important that the tripod, no matter which one you use is LEVEL.Example I use Direct TV..My elevation is 37 degree az is 215 degree..Once the tripod is LEVEL just drop in the dish pre set at 37 elevation..use a compass to point at 215 and the signal is there..simple as that. Remember the sat is 22,500 miles up..one inch off in any direction at this end is several miles at the other end. Can't tell you how many times I have seen folks unable to get the signal because the tripod was not level...
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #20
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
Your are right about the level part, very important in finding the satellite. Dish 500 is a little more complicated than Direct, have a third angle called SKEW to deal with, but all the info is available from the menu setup page.