Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2023, 07:02 PM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
What broke on your last trip out?

This should be fun. I''l kick off.

DW and I left Sacramento for Bodega Bay last Friday. Now keep in mind that I've passed and changed lanes SEVERAL times during the drive using my turn signals, mirrors and cameras. 1.5 hours into the trip on a 4 lane highway in lane 2, 90% of the time.

I looked in the left mirror and noticed the left LP door was flapping in the wind. I hit my right blinker to pull over and checked the the right mirror and notice the door assist handle was sticking out and the entry door was flapping.

I stopped, walked to the back of the truck and the generator door was open

I'm still at a loss...both of us did a walk around before we left. When I got set up the first thing I did was make sure all the locking mechanisms were tight. The entry door? No clue

I suspect some shenanigans.....or I'm loosing it

Old 08-14-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Someone opened them or didn’t close them. I could understand one being open but what are the chances of two being open at the same time. Let’s say slim to none.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Someone opened them or didn’t close them. I could understand one being open but what are the chances of two being open at the same time. Let’s say slim to none.
Lynwood
Read again.....make that 3 open....

Ok so...last night I'm watching TV when I hear a knock on the door. I fingernail knock. A consecutive 4 knock. I looked out the open window and nobody was there. DW was asleep as was the dog. I chocked it up to my imagination. I just told my wife about it and she said she thought she heard me knock at the front door tonight. Opened it and I wasn't there.....what the actual #$@^
Old 08-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks for the correction. With three open that makes it even more unlikely that they could have come open on their own. One maybe but three no way especially after the knock on the door.
Lynwood
Old 08-15-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I found myself looking over my shoulder last night

Ok back to reality.... The propane door and gen door latches were just loose enough to vibrate open while traveling on 80. Tightened screws and tweaked levers. I'm going to buy locking latches for the propane doors and lock the gen door while traveling.

I left the house with the entry door open and handle down and didn't notice it for an hour and a half? Should I turn in my tow card? I guess I'll have my wife do a walk around before we leave and lock the door....
Old 08-15-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Locks on the Propane compartments is a NO NO, as for the front door, we always put the grab handle across the door, so even it it didn't get locked it can't come open.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yep, bouncing down the road causing severe earth quake conditions on a camper for hours and hours and hours at a time, over and over, and over again is bound to shake "something" loose.

Glad you figured it out! BUT! ..... it was more interesting thinking Mr. Ghost was playing games with you!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #8
ScaryPapa
Established Member

M.O.C. #30351
I had the same issue with the Propane doors. Vibration from traveling slowly rotated the latches until the door opened. I fixed this by bending the latch tab slightly towards the frame where it latches. The vibration from traveling doesn't turn the latches anymore due to fitting tighter.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The propane doors don’t have locks so incase of an emergency the fire department can get them open.
Lynwood
Old 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
Ok, I guess I’ll chime in here. First off, my front door on a regular basis comes open while traveling. It never flaps though it’s just open.
We just got back from our trip to Alaska. You asked what broke. Well, the right rear spring hanger was our first problem. Then right front spring, replace the 2 springs on the axle. Then the left front spring broke replaced it and didn’t replace both of them. Next the right rear spring broke. So while on the road I replaced all 4 sets of springs. Fortunately, I bought 4 sets while I was in Anchorage at 6 Robbly’s .
I have about 50,000 miles on our 2020 3855br so it was time. We have not had any problems on this rig prior to that. Micro/conv oven door switches broke too and a piece of molding fell down but all in all we had an amazing trip! I would do it again. 10,605 mile trip with my wife and 2 grandsons.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:27 PM   #11
TheBarnhills

M.O.C. #32960
Our stove knob LEDs caught on fire!
TheBarnhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #12
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
My right rear j-wrap feel off.
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:32 PM   #13
Spike
Established Member

M.O.C. #26885
Texas Trek

I just finished a trip in our 2020 3790rd from Vancouver, Washington to Austin, Texas and back during this three week trip here’s what broke…
1: Window box in dining area fell off wall
2: Center wall between rear den and kitchen pulled out of wall and away from frame
3: Shades on back wall broke off wall
4: New on board Onan generator stopped working.
5: Light above entry door fell off
6: sliding closet door pulled out of ceiling
7: Even though I had a brake job done one week before we left the parts, failed and destroyed wheel and brake drums resulting in another brake job done in Kansas
8: rear slide has started making a scraping noise.

The bottom line is I really want to like my Montana, but every single time we take it out, something breaks, and the fact that things are stapled and screwed into the “paneling”on the side of the wall drive me crazy…
I’m sure if we did not travel in the RV we would have less problems, but I believe that is the point of having a trailer.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #14
Spike
Established Member

M.O.C. #26885
LP door

That is funny because on my last trip by LP door kept coming undone, and I have no idea why. We would drive for two hours, and the door was open and we pull over close it and then it would happen again and again. I finally stuck some material on the rails so the top handle was a lot tighter and that seem to fix the problem but you could see that they were turning open while I drove anyways.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:18 PM   #15
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Nothing really out of the ordinary but….on our way from central Tx to Oshkosh WI:

Front awning ripped right at the edge against the rig. About 10” so not really repairable. Called our Mobile repairman in Oshkosh before we left Tx to get a place in his calendar to do the replacement. He asked that I order the fabric as he is having trouble getting any parts, etc. which sounded like a good story. Got online and ordered a “heavier than factory original fabric. Good idea to replace with heavier fabric, right? Nope. Fabric was thick enough we had to pull out the led lighting from the rail to use the new awning. Also, came in with the bottom color as white. Might not sound bad but the underside color is what shows outside! Rear awning is brown.
The screw covering molding had cracked and needed replacing so I got 50’ of it and replaced both sides under the front cap. Good enough, right? Nope again. Got on the roof to look at the upper screw cover molding and found all 3 plumbing vent covers broken off AND the front roof vent cover! Realized I did not have enough molding so will order more and do it when we hit cooler weather. Maybe October? Went to the new CW in Oshkosh and bought 3 new vent covers and put them on. They did not have the attic vent but I found one yesterday in Elkhart and replaced it. Just remembered, wife showed me a “V” shaped tear in our vinyl from the slide. About the size of a paperback book page! Glued it down and went to Lowe’s and bought some vinyl cove molding to put under the rollers. Not sure how we keep getting rocks as DW sweeps CAREFULLY before we close up! This is the fourth tear, and the largest. Guess it is time to replace the floor…..
I do have some great news though and will post it in a new thread!
Btw, our traveling rig is a 2019 3021 Legacy edition.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
That is funny because on my last trip by LP door kept coming undone, and I have no idea why. We would drive for two hours, and the door was open and we pull over close it and then it would happen again and again. I finally stuck some material on the rails so the top handle was a lot tighter and that seem to fix the problem but you could see that they were turning open while I drove anyways.

Mine recently did the same. I tightened the nut and screw and slightly bent the lever. It's tight now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jritz View Post
Ok, I guess I’ll chime in here. First off, my front door on a regular basis comes open while traveling. It never flaps though it’s just open.
We just got back from our trip to Alaska. You asked what broke. Well, the right rear spring hanger was our first problem. Then right front spring, replace the 2 springs on the axle. Then the left front spring broke replaced it and didn’t replace both of them. Next the right rear spring broke. So while on the road I replaced all 4 sets of springs. Fortunately, I bought 4 sets while I was in Anchorage at 6 Robbly’s .
I have about 50,000 miles on our 2020 3855br so it was time. We have not had any problems on this rig prior to that. Micro/conv oven door switches broke too and a piece of molding fell down but all in all we had an amazing trip! I would do it again. 10,605 mile trip with my wife and 2 grandsons.

The same time my LP door came open transit so did my entry door. I was surprised because the step assist was folded in and it was out also....still baffled. I'm locking the dead bolt going forward!
Old 08-20-2023, 04:33 PM   #17
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Sometimes I do two walk around before pulling out. I notice most of my screwups occur while going down the road and using the trailer for some reason. I need walkarounds then but I become in a hurry.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #18
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
This really stupid on my part

On our first trip since last fall at the end of June I AGAIN dropped the trailer on the truck! This time I had my bed saver and it prevented any damage. I backed partially into my hitch and thought everything looked fine, and then started to pull forward and heard that dreaded noice. This was 6 am in the morning and wasn't being thorough enough. Put a slight nick in tailgate plastic cover. Dropped the legs, and raised trailer, backed under and hooked up properly. On our first stop on our trip I tried to hook up fresh water to sewer flush and even changed fittings to hookup. On upon turning water on it fill up sewer and backed up toilet and overflowed into bathroom making a mess. I don't know why I proceeded to hook up this way. I'm questioning my ability to think straight after 20 yrs of RVing. No excuse for either one of these mistakes. The first time I dropped the trailer was in 2009 when I was going to trade truck for new 2007 Chevy truck. It destroyed the pickup bed. I bought my bedsaver right after that. I think that this tops anyone elses screwups.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:49 PM   #19
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Talking

Ouch! DW would have dropped something on my head! I'm making a check list
Old 08-31-2023, 10:51 PM   #20
Robev
Established Member

M.O.C. #20506
Never thought of that… lol you are dead right of course.
Robev is offline   Reply With Quote