Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 05:18 AM   #21
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
You say you will be boondocking a lot. With a residential fridge on board you need 140 AH @ 12v every day just to run the fridge. Add in Tv's and laptop(s), other electronic devices, hair dryer, microwave, crock pot, toaster, coffee maker and so on... you could easily push 300AH a day. Four 6v 400AH AGMs (giving you 400ah @ 12vdc usable) would be a bare minimum and you need to recharge from your genny daily for at least 3 and maybe 5 hours a day just to keep up. That will suck down propane at an expensive rate. Also, you risk premature death of those batteries if you drain them down past 50% every day. LFPs do not have that issue. If you only boondock in moderate climate that will help with LFP because they do not like being charged in very cold weather or extremely hot weather. AGMs less of an issue. With LFP, they take a full charge quickly and all the way to nearly topped off so you can cut genny time in half or more... the extra cost up front can now be measured by significant savings in propane costs. Plus you are off the noisy genny more hours every day, if you don't enjoy that benefit... your neighbors certainly will. With a decently sized inverter/charger or a converter you can put back 100Amps every hour until you are near topped off with LFP, not so with AGMs which is why AGMs take so much longer to charge up. With 500+ watts of solar adding into the mix you might get 100-200amps a day in good weather further reducing genny time. If all of this allows you to boondock even more then you can figure in savings from less time in per night campground fees. But for now, your only real savings will come from less run time on the genny and less propane consumption. To see the real benefit of the larger battery bank you need will need spare battery capacity with AGMs to prolong their life, not so critical with LFP. You can get by with nearly half the battery bank with LFP than AGM.

So with 4 6v 400AH AGMs weighing ~500 lbs vs the weight of LFPs at ~115 lbs there is a huge weight savings. True the AGMs will cost about half the LPF but they will not last as long, will not charge as fast and they take up more real estate in volume than LFP. But it is the weight penalty that for us was the final nail in the AGM coffin.

If you are only a recreational RV user then the weight issue may be a non-issue. Full timers with moderately capable rigs like yours and mine 3813MS with ~3100 lbs of CCC those few extra hundred lbs could be the deal breaker... it depends. If AGMs work for your situation, by all means get them. We are going LFP because they work for us. YMMV

One final thought on the AGMs. You are looking at four 6V 400AH(presumably) and placing them in the existing battery compartment on the front left side. The 3813 MS already has a potential weight issue on the left side... 2 long slides, the fridge and the pantry are both on the left side slide. Mix in the fact that the rig has only 7k axles. that is 3500 lbs per tire position. The fact of the matter is there is real potential to overload either the tires or the axles and bearings on that side of the rig if you load the trailer to it's GVWR. Many load way over their GVWR. It does sneak up on you especially when full time RVing, or so the anecdotal evidence suggests. You are increasing the likelihood of a driver side tire failure with all the potential damage that entails... food for thought. An overloaded tire will most definitely ruin you day at an unexpected moment. Factory "nevr lube" wheel bearings tend to fail catastrophically without warning and that will destroy an axle and tire almost instantly. Cha ching. Or you can avoid that by regular bearing replacement (also cha ching) These are potential side effects of piling more weight into your rig. Sorry if I drove into the weeds with these other considerations but your battery choice also affects these things. Weight is your enemy. You choose your poison.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #22
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Very well stated. The only thing I would disagree with a bit is the depth of discharge for the batteries I'm looking at. Deep cycle sweeper/scrubber batteries are designed to be discharged down to 80% depth of discharge. This would give me 696AH of battery bank for $1,300 vs lithium at $7,000 for the same AH's. Plus there's no way I could fit 7 batteries in the space. I do agree that there is no one right solution. hopefully we'll all see each other on the road and we can debate this at the campfire with a beer in hand.
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #23
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
Very well stated. The only thing I would disagree with a bit is the depth of discharge for the batteries I'm looking at. Deep cycle sweeper/scrubber batteries are designed to be discharged down to 80% depth of discharge. This would give me 696AH of battery bank for $1,300 vs lithium at $7,000 for the same AH's. Plus there's no way I could fit 7 batteries in the space. I do agree that there is no one right solution. hopefully we'll all see each other on the road and we can debate this at the campfire with a beer in hand.
one thought on the AGMs. at 125 lbs each that is no easy task to manhandle them into that space. I'm already in my sixties by the time i'm ready to replace them... well... I will be older LOL. AS a safety issue I am good moving 29 lb LFPs... 125 lb AGMs in awkward locations well not so much. Gonna need some strapping young guy to help. Food for thought. LOL

Over a beer... I'm in.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 03-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
one thought on the AGMs. at 125 lbs each that is no easy task to manhandle them into that space. I'm already in my sixties by the time i'm ready to replace them... well... I will be older LOL. AS a safety issue I am good moving 29 lb LFPs... 125 lb AGMs in awkward locations well not so much. Gonna need some strapping young guy to help. Food for thought. LOL

Over a beer... I'm in.
Bulild your battery Box on this Moryde Drawer (they have smaller as well) these have a 250lb weight rating. Also make it easy for watering your batts

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-145-2...RRKDZPXZ6NRDNX

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Bulild your battery Box on this Moryde Drawer (they have smaller as well) these have a 250lb weight rating. Also make it easy for watering your batts

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-145-2...RRKDZPXZ6NRDNX

That is a nice battery tray. Gotta wonder what space one would have to give up to get it to fit... but is it nice. Room for 4 batteries (4 x 62 lbs each?)

Old 03-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post

Over a beer... I'm in.

At our age they come with a lifetime warranty.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #27
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
i have two crown agm 6 volt, 220 amh batteries, the onan gen and two 265 panels. I can boondock quite comfortably but i cant run the toaster, electric coffee pot and other high use items on batteries. But i can hit the gen switch and do anything. If you really want to do everything go litium.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff & Gail View Post
i have two crown agm 6 volt, 220 amh batteries, the onan gen and two 265 panels. I can boondock quite comfortably but i cant run the toaster, electric coffee pot and other high use items on batteries. But i can hit the gen switch and do anything. If you really want to do everything go litium.
Technically you should not run ANY resistive heat appliances on gens or battery it is extremely hard on them.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
I bought my Trojan batteries from USA Battery sales. They didn't charge me a core you just have to say there for solar. They also delivered them to me they have thier own delivery truck
https://usabatterysales.com/pd-new-t...-48-states.cfm
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #30
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Sure need to read a lot more about these weight and batteries I plan on putting those costco 6v (4) and I have the factory gen and a solar panel plan on adding a 2nd panel most we do is 2 day boondocks now I sea from the post above running a gen to run a micro or other heated devices is bad ...
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #31
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Why not run the generator to run the microwave or anything else really? I thought that’s what is was built for.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #32
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyj571 View Post
Sure need to read a lot more about these weight and batteries I plan on putting those costco 6v (4) and I have the factory gen and a solar panel plan on adding a 2nd panel most we do is 2 day boondocks now I sea from the post above running a gen to run a micro or other heated devices is bad ...
You can run microwave or heated device off of a generator, no problem. If your generator has enough power, you can run your A/C (may need soft start upgrade).

You usually can't run these devices when on battery power because inverter (device that changes 12 volts DC from batteries to 110 volts AC) can't handle it. If you have a large enough inverter, you probably could run these items, but it would consume a lot of battery power.

We have four 6 volt Costco batteries, 300 watts of solar, 1200 watt inverter and 4000 watt Onan generator. Can run everything (Dish receiver, 2 flat screens, all 12 volt applications) without ever using generator so long as there is sun. Coffee maker, microwave, or A/C require generator. Boondocking time limited to grey water capacity.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #33
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Those Costco Interstate 6V GC2 are total Junk, read the reviews 1-star average. I just purchased Trojans with high AH for $125. in fact I just wrota about my battery install

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...5&postcount=31
Old 04-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #34
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Wow u live up the road from me I’m in marysville will that battery box fit in 3931fb I ordered it god knows when it will be built how did you get the batteries tax free and no core charge ??? I sea they have a place in Kent did you pick them up or were they delivered ??? I have so many questions for you maybe we can meet some time Thxs Bill
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #35
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Wow u live up the road from me I’m in marysville will that battery box fit in 3931fb I ordered it god knows when it will be built how did you get the batteries tax free and no core charge ??? I sea they have a place in Kent did you pick them up or were they delivered ??? I have so many questions for you maybe we can meet some time Thxs Bill
Actually the battery Box turns out that website is Interstate Battery in S Everett so I just went over and purchased and saved the shipping cost, they had it in stock.

So I ordered the batteries online, they are based in Colorado which is why I paid no tax. They partner with a distributor in Kent so I went down the same day and Picked them up. You WILL NOT find a better deal. I am in Lake Stevens, just a stones through.

I am pretty sure the front compartments are the same. You need to twist the box a little to get it in. You will also need to drill a hole in the bottom for the drain as well screw the box down. I used a 2" hole saw for the vent on top of the lid.

You are welcome to pop over and see my install.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #36
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
sams club has 6 volt golf cart batteries around $100 but there are lots of similar batteries out there too: costco, interstate and etc.

probably start with 2 6 volt batteries.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #37
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
Lithium is enticing, our issue is space. With the Onan taking up a lot of space we have a small patch of land for our batteries. We won't have quite the solar drawing capacity you'll have (2x265watt panels) but we're hoping we'll have enough reserve battery capacity to make it through cloudy or overcast days.
If you have factory solar flex package, don't you already have lithium batteries?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #38
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
If you have factory solar flex package, don't you already have lithium batteries?
I actually talked to keystone about this. The short answer is no, not with the smaller solar flex option. They said that RIVIA places so many restrictions on securing factory installed batteries that they couldn’t do it on the smaller package. They also cited theft by thier Contracted transporters. Once it arrives at the dealership it’s up to the dealer on what to install. Frankly all of the responses I found lacking. Factory solar should have factory lithium. And if their transporters can’t be trusted not to steal they shouldn’t employ them.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #39
pips063
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22801
solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
You can run microwave or heated device off of a generator, no problem. If your generator has enough power, you can run your A/C (may need soft start upgrade).

You usually can't run these devices when on battery power because inverter (device that changes 12 volts DC from batteries to 110 volts AC) can't handle it. If you have a large enough inverter, you probably could run these items, but it would consume a lot of battery power.

We have four 6 volt Costco batteries, 300 watts of solar, 1200 watt inverter and 4000 watt Onan generator. Can run everything (Dish receiver, 2 flat screens, all 12 volt applications) without ever using generator so long as there is sun. Coffee maker, microwave, or A/C require generator. Boondocking time limited to grey water capacity.
Hblick who did your solar?
pips063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #40
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by pips063 View Post
Hblick who did your solar?
Purchased solar panels and charge controller from Renogy. Batteries from Costco. Installed it myself.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote