Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Jersquared
Established Member

M.O.C. #22311
350 watt solar system

Just finished my 350 watt renogy solar install on the 2021 3120rl... I went with 2 of the Flexible 175watt panels and a renogy rover 40a mppt controller.

Mid June I should be able to give some real world data on how it performed for us... My only complaint would be, and this is nobodies fault but my own, I should have read the dimensions of the charge controller. My original plan was installing it inside in the cabinet where Montana intended on having the monitor mounted. It's much too big for that, so I just mounted it in the big pass thru storage compartment.

Today about an hour ago 4:00pm I drug the 5th wheel outside to see what I was producing. According to the display it was producing 19.9volts, 205 watts and was boost charging my bank at 14.5amps. I'm guessing this will be closer to the 350 watts earlier in the day.

Jer

Jersquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I believe I have read you never get what's advertised. I have 400W, (200W parallel) the most I have seen is 273W. I might try reconfiguring them in series to see if any difference.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
Jersquared
Established Member

M.O.C. #22311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I believe I have read you never get what's advertised. I have 400W, (200W parallel) the most I have seen is 273W. I might try reconfiguring them in series to see if any difference.
You can only do this if you have an mppt controller, with a PWM running your panels in series will result in putting too much voltage to the batteries..
Old 05-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have a Victron 100/30 using the Pre installed 10 gauge solar wiring.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Jersquared
Established Member

M.O.C. #22311
We just got back home from our Paulina Lake trip, and I am pleased with how the panels worked out. As stated earlier, these are just to tend the house batteries. Where we were sitting the panels didn't really start to produce until close to 9am, due to a tree. The first day I only produced 24ah, that was due to the fact everything was charged up when I left the house and the only loads were Fridge and water heater running on LP.

The rest of the trip however, after letting the furnace run to keep the rv comfy all night and morning, then early in the day running the ceiling fan and vent fans to cool the until ( lol central Oregon is a funny place high 80s during the day 30s at night sometimes).. Anyways the rest of the trip by mid day the panels would max out around 230watts and by the end it had produced 124ah... More than enough to tend batteries I'd say