Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Dave&Lynn

M.O.C. #28636
Talking Solar install, truss locations/any diagrams or measurements?

2019 3120RL solar prep ready. Looking for info on truss locations/wire loom runs, before I get up there and start sinking screws. (assuming a good stud finder with wire locator may be helpful).
Any diagrams or layouts floating around?
Thank you in advance

Dave&Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
Sharko
Established Member

M.O.C. #26528
use a stud finder and try to have the screws at least on the forward side hit wood
Sharko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
CDR Spud

M.O.C. #29072
Our trailer is a 2021 high country 294RL. I have the same questions concerning solar panel placement, althoug it looks as though there is little or no experience available. I've installed solar panels on four other RVs in the past and, in each case, simply used stainless screws to anchor the feet through the EDPM and into the wooden roof structure, followed by Dicor sealant. I never had a problem with panel divergence but I typically stay under 65MPH!!! However, I saw a Jaboni video where the fellow recommends obtaining a schematic from the manufacturer (Keystone) to more securely attach the front feet. Seems like a good idea but after weeks of contacting Keystone Owner's custome service--no joy. Anyone have a secret direct line phone number to Keystone engineering? As far as ensuring you "hit wood", the entire roof on our HC is wood laminate, so it shouldn't be too tough.
CDR Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Sharko
Established Member

M.O.C. #26528
Install

I've had no luck with anyone saying "hit wood" but I would assume it is necessary.
When I asked about installing another panel they seem to care about where it can fit and just screw in. I've been concerned but also learned my 365W panel is plenty big for my 225aH (2 X 6V@225) Unless I wanted to add another bank of batteries.
Sharko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I used a stud finder and marked the studs with chalk. Then made a cardboard template of my panels + mounting brackets. I moved the cardboard around (used chalk again to mark the boundaries) to try to optimize the panel/roof area.
I learned Aligning them with the roof studs and optimizing layout is not compatible.
Once I was satisfied I laid the panels with the feet attached where I wanted them. Marked the brackets position lifted the panels and put down Eternabond. Then laid the panels back down.. Then put a generous amount of Alpha sealant under each bracket. Then pilot drilled the holes for the screws (2 in each bracket). Filled the holes with Alpha sealant. Then put in 3/4" × #14 SS screws.
I made my own tilt brackets. If I was doing it again I would buy the Renogy tilt brackets.
Watch the Keystone Montana factory tour video to get an idea how they put the roof together.
https://youtu.be/cV0OZv0bCgc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_133024.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	9654  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Spud View Post
Our trailer is a 2021 high country 294RL. I have the same questions concerning solar panel placement, althoug it looks as though there is little or no experience available. I've installed solar panels on four other RVs in the past and, in each case, simply used stainless screws to anchor the feet through the EDPM and into the wooden roof structure, followed by Dicor sealant. I never had a problem with panel divergence but I typically stay under 65MPH!!! However, I saw a Jaboni video where the fellow recommends obtaining a schematic from the manufacturer (Keystone) to more securely attach the front feet. Seems like a good idea but after weeks of contacting Keystone Owner's custome service--no joy. Anyone have a secret direct line phone number to Keystone engineering? As far as ensuring you "hit wood", the entire roof on our HC is wood laminate, so it shouldn't be too tough.
HC uses 3/8 OSB deck and the rafters should be on 16" centers. There'll be a double rafter at each panel seam and on both front and rear sides of the AC's.

With "Eternabond" tape underneath each foot you can use a 1/4" x 1-1/2" lag screw to secure the panel. The 300w panels Keystone supplies have 6 feet so the decking is sufficient to hold down the panel.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berating=no, grumpy, snarky