Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Montana Sky, I wasn't far from your mom's thinking at one time. Now I'm more satisfied knowing that we can store some things for a reasonable price here in Alabama. Since we'll be renting our house, we'll have a little income to help cover that cost. Downsizing is both practical and freeing but also very emotional. We'll get over it and never look back, I'm sure.

Now, Vicki, you're hitting close to my heart. I need a storage room just for all my STUFF! I am going to try to find a charity that will accept some of the goodies that I have. We have a women's prison just a few miles away and I'm going to check with them to see if they can use it. You really know how to hurt a person! But you'd be surprised how much craft stuff the Montana will hold!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #22
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Right Judy, Our entire storage across the back wall is all my "Stuff". Come to think of it, MOST of the overhead storage is my "Stuff." And it does hold a lot.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #23
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Absolutely agree with all of the above. It becomes like eating an elephant...got to do it one bite at a time..

As described above, a professionally run "estate sale" is the absolutely BEST way to go. We gave what we wanted to the kids, put what we wanted into storage, took a couple of short 2 day trips in the Monty to make sure we had everything we needed in it, and then turned over the house to them for a week. We then went away to visit friends and came back to an absolutely empty house. Not even any trash. Earned a big chunk of change, plus a great tax write-off for the well documented items that went to the Salvation Army and a couple of other charities. These folks had been in that business, full time, for over 30 years...father, then son. Took ALL the stress out of the process.

We put enough bedroom, dining room and living room furniture in storage to start a "new" home when that time comes. No appliances...they son't store well, and become outdated. Some few "treasures", but not many. Paying $140/mo., climate controlled, bonded. After 3 years, that comes to $5000. That is still a "good deal" relative to the replacement costs of what we have there. I figure a "break even" point of about 7 or 8 years. Again, that is only the really "good" stuff, furniture only, plus a very few "treasures" (One set of good china...that sort of thing.)

When it was all over, that experience was one of the most "liberating" emotional events of our recent lifetimes. Impossible to describe, but it will happen.

Good luck with the project!

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
P.J. and Nan, that is an encouraging note. I'm glad to hear from someone else who has kept enough to equip a new home, when the time comes. That is basically our plan. We can rent a 10x30, climate controlled room for $179.00 per month. If we were to stay in our house, we'd pay that much heating and cooling an empty house monthly. By renting out our home and paying a company to manage it, someone else can pay the utility bills, water and sewer, security, lawn care, with a little added donation to our travel funds. That will free us up pretty well.

We are finding some joy in clearing out the house. It get's easier and easier. The kids are keeping some stuff for us and taking other items for themselves which we are very pleased about. With everyone's encouragement, we'll get through this. The elephant is getting smaller and smaller.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #25
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I was so Glad to get out from under all the STUFF that it takes to fill a 3 story house.. not having the yard, the cleaning, the dusting... And with my sis being iin the rough spot she is now in... it makes me think I should have given her much of what is now in a storage unit.
an old preacher once said that of all the hundreds of funerals that he had officiated, not one of them included either a brinks truck or a moving van.. I miss having a few of my kitchen gadgets, and kevin misses his big fat papa recliner, but othr than that... NAWW.
It may make a bit of a difference to have lost everything to a house fire once already... it is all just stuff, and you can pretty much go get more stuff when you decide you want it. After looking at how the Amish live though, I think we got too much stuff, even now.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I know we've got too much stuff and we don't have as much as other people. It's great to get some of this stuff on the move out of the house. Fun to have three kids to give it to, too.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #27
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Glen and I calculated that we will be on the road nine months out of twelve this year so we might as well fulltime. That was the easy part! Now we're back at the stick house and looking at all the stuff that we have to sort through to make this happen. Can you say overwhelming? I must say that I really admire all of you who have accomplished this major task.

Judy & Glen,

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

You're going to be living my dream. I'm very happy for you both.

I'll be thinking of you cleaning out the house, saving things, giving things away and wading through years and years of stuff.

We are attempting to do that too. We will be trying to sell the house in preparation of Dick's to retirement next year.
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the good wishes, Patty. It's an interesting process but every finished task is a reason for celebration!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #29
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I did just what you guys are planning to do (go full-time). I closed on my home last Friday and was moved out by Monday @2:00am. I sold my home with all the appliances, furniture, electronics and some accessories...rest of the stuff my kids and family took. It is unbelievable how much junk you really have and don't know it. Anyway, a lot of stuff stayed because no one wanted it. Regardless, I took everything I NEEDED and that was about it. It's been a week now, and I'm glad that is all over. I'm staying at a campground in Ohio right now waiting on a job transfer. One thing for sure...no more grass to cut and all that other stuff that comes with homeownership. Good Luck to you both!....and try not to get too overwhelmed...I know it is easier said than done
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It is an overwhelming but rewarding experience. We've worked through some of the immediate emotions that come when you first starting going through your stuff. Once you get into it, it's rather addictive. Downsizing is fun! The kids' agreeing to take some of the stuff has helped make it easier. At least it's still in the family.

Congratulations on the sale of your home. Have fun in your new lifestyle.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:13 AM   #31
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Judy,
Such a blessing to have kids who can handle the IMPORTANT stuff. The stuff I can't bear to get rid of.. heirlooms and etc, are in storage cause currently I can't trust any of them not to wreck it or pawn it off.. Someday ... just not yet.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #32
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Your day will come, Mel. Wise choice for now, I'm sure. The process is going well for us. One of our biggest tasks will involve all the pictures that we have taken. We'll save them for a later time but it is there waiting for us.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #33
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, that's an easy one. We took pictures of pictures or scanned them all onto disc's. They turned out great. Some are even better then the originals

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I have saved pictures that way, Helen. It does work well. My biggest problem is TIME! So much to do, so little time.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #35
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Judy and Glenn, congratulations on the big decision! Dave and I are planning to hit the road full-time next June and reading this thread has given us some great ideas on what to do and how to do it. We were going to sell the house and move into something smaller anyway, and we're not sure where we'll eventually put down roots (way, way down the road!). We, too, are going to get a climate controlled container and store some furnishings. Some for us and some for our kids - they're not ready to settle down just yet, but have expressed interest in some of our things. It is a daunting task to empty out a home after so many years. One tends to forget that the "stuff" expands to fill all available space! We're oh, so slowly, going through one closet or dresser at a time. I know we'll get there and you will, too. Hope to see you on the road!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #36
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm excited for you, too, Chris and Dave. Our kids have stepped to take some of our more important stuff (note: I did not say expensive as it is only valuable to us) and that really does help. I've found outlets for a lot of my fabric stash, which is fairly considerable, and that is very satisfying. Still lots of sorting and donating to do but we are very satisfied that we're doing the right thing. My big decision now is whether or not I can/should start packing some things into boxes even though we are months away from moving out. Of course, five of those months will be spent on the road so we have only 3 1/2 months left in the house. I think I see some packing in my immediate future.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #37
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy,
I have found that it's never too soon to pack. If it's something you KNOW you want to keep, and you're not going to be NEEDING it, go ahead & get it done. Clean it, pack it, label it and log it. If you find you DO NEED it, you can look it up and know that it's in Box #3. Just a thought. Have you found that book yet?
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Good advice, Lisa. I haven't bought the book, probably won't and will regret it later. We've moved many times in the military so I'll just go with what works for us for now. We're also in the process of helping our son move from Alabama to Illinois so we have a full schedule right now.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #39
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Judy and Glenn, best of luck to you and my thoughts are with you. We talked about this and I know that you will do well. When Steve and I were cleaning and sorting we shook hands and said that we would not get divorced over any of this as the stress can get somewhat overwhelming. Sometimes I miss my house, especially if I have the sewing machine out and need the iron out and want to layout a quilt, but then I just go find somewhere to make it happen, the meeting room, a local quilt shop or whatever. Take all your craft stuff with you! I do not miss the cleaning though! Hugs Kim
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #40
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hi, Kim. I miss you, Neighbor! It was so fun to be parked next to you at the SE rally. Oh, that's not what this thread is about, is it? Thanks for your encouragement, especially about the craft stuff. I'm sure I'll have more than my share of stuff along. Glen is very good about my hogging all the storage. So far the process is going well. We got our son moved to Illinois and his move went flawlessly. Now he and his fiancee are busy painting inside their house. See, there is an advantage to living far away from your kids!!! We gained lots of room in the garage once his stuff was moved. Now we have lots of things that will be taken to our grandson Daniel and that will give us more room after mid-May. I've already started sorting into designated "corners" for everybody. And Glen and I haven't even started pulling out one another hair yet. The hardest part is staying home long enough to do the work. We'd rather be on the road!