Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Land Bertram
Established Member

M.O.C. #2315
SuperGlide Hitch Users

I have installed a 16K SuperGlide Hitch and have a question. When I removed the green grease, which was applied at Pullrite for shipping, to apply the white lithium grease I discovered considerable deep scratches in the way rails. My thoughts are that there is weld spatter on the bottom of the hitch plate that rides on the ways. Has anyone else experienced the scratches when new, prior to use?

Land Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I haven't heard of this before. I would suggest giving Pullrite a call at 877-785-5748 and ask their opinion. Believe me the folks at Pullrite are great people and they will help you in anyway they can.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tom,
I have noticed the same scratches in mine as well. I have taken it back to the dealership and they tell me all is working normal. I dropped the coach off today to have it de-winterized and will bring it up to the tech who installed it and see what he thinks. Each time I head out I always wipe the grease off and apply new grease and I probably apply way more than is needed. I know it cannot be because of the lack of grease on the way tubes. Glenn thanks for the number. I might just give them a call as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Tom:
We have used my pullrite 16k superglide hitch for aprox. 1000 miles since our purchase of our unit in May of 2004. I have noticed a couple of scratches and I don't know what caused them. Just a guess is that a small stone or similar object had got under the round plate and gouged the metal. I took a stone hone, similar to that of a knife sharpening stone and honed it smooth so that no rough edges were left to work on the round plate. I don't think I did any harm to it and it does seem to glide smoother since I honed it. I also wipe it down after I arrive at a campsite and re-apply new grease when I get ready to leave. This I think, removes any dirt or debri that might cause wear and tear on the rails. Let us know if you find out anything about what pullrite has to say about the scratches.
On another point about this hitch that I think needs attention as much as the rails is the space between the nylon block and the pivot plate. After the first couple of trips with our unit, I checked the slop or play between the two parts and noticed that there was at least 1/16 " of play and the instructions say that there is to be no play between these parts. So I ended up making a special wrench to loosen the double jam nuts to re-tighten the hex head bolt and then tighten the jam nuts again. after doing this a couple times, it seems to ok now. Just wanted to pass this along in case some of you may not have noticed this.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
One mechanic tells us to grease the rails and another almost had a heart attack when he saw the grease - in his opinion only graphite should be used. There are a few scratches but I am told not to worry about them.

Apparently the aversion to grease is that it does attract dirt and small stones that can cause damage.

Another point about the supeglide hitch - unless you have the conversion kit (PLUS the conversion plate) nobody can tow your fiver unless they also have a pullrite superglide installed. Note - you need 2 units for this to work. Both are en route now from Pullrite to our dealer.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote