Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Betsy is going in for Rotator Cuff Surg.

Just got the word today that Betsy's rotator cuff has a tear and she is scheduled for surgery on Sept 8th. We will still be coming to the Rally if at all possible. Post op therapy will be done for a week or two before the Rally then we will come home for another couple weeks more of therapy before heading south to Delaine and Lindy's for the winter where we will continue her therapy. I know this is going to be a long painful process for her but the last 18 months with limited use of her left arm has been worse. She cannot sleep very well and any sudden movement with that arm will almost drop her. So a few weeks of hard pain will be better than 18 months of constant pain... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Betsy, we will be praying for you!I'm happy to hear you are having the surgery because I know how much pain you've been in. Please be sure to keep us updated on your progress.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tammy, thanks, she says she misses talking to you but typing has just gotten too painful for her, and if she can't type she needs the surgery. I will be doing all her typing for the time being. Thanks again for the response... Dave and Betsy
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good Luck Betsy, you will be in our Prayer's all the way from Texas. We will be just about a hour North of Dallas at our Sons house. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wishing ya great speedy recovery!!!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Good luck Betsy. We'll be praying for you for a rapid recovery. It won't be pain free, but having been through it, I can tell you that you can make it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Betsy - you are in our thoughts and prayers. We wish you the best for the surgery and recovery.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry this is necessary. I know several who have had good outcomes from this surgery. The key seems to be aggressive rehab programs. So after surgery, we also pray for courage and determination on your part. Looking forward to hearing good reports from you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Betsy had an MRI yesterday at 3pm and the Dr called today around noon. He can do it on the 8th and she said yes so off we go. You say aggressive PT, ya don't supposed racket ball is a bit much? Maybe badminton or tennis would be better Well as long as they supply a good load of heavy drugs she should be fine. I will have her read all these responses, but you can still send messages to Labmom, I will just have to respond... Dave
Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Also for your surgeon and the medical team taking care of you.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Thanks to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!! With all the prayers and thoughts, I will be fine. I have also heard that it is painful as is the recovery but I'm looking forward to being able to lift my arm to put on deodorant!!!!!
Thanks everyone again-Dave will be keeping you posted!
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Betsy i have had both worked on but only the right was able to repair and its a long deal as i was frozen for 2 months before surgery but the left i fell on it and it is tooo smashed to repair as they had me open and the tendins are 3 to 4 " apart so the arm would be stuck up in the air so we hope it never freezes as then i need a reverse cup like dave in mich and that is the last straw as they say, good luck and hope to see you in goshen , bring your rope and pulls for on top of the door as that is the real answer as i did that for 1 1/2 years but today i feal great sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Betsy,
I had my left one done in May of 2007. The end result will be worth it. Aggressive therapy is not the answer in most cases but with that said here is the advice that I would offer.

DO WHAT THE THERAPISTS TELL YOU TO DO. Do not do less, do not do more. Doing less will lengthen the recovery time. Doing more can damage you more than you are now. Recovery time is different for each individual, but recovery is going to happen. Give it time and dedicate yourself to the therapists advice on what to do to recover the best.

Yes, you will be so, so happy when you can raise your arm and put deodorant on - both sides. Reaching the right side now is probably a difficult task. You will also be able to, one day soon, put both hands behind your head and clasp your fingers together, even scratch your head with your left hand, or scratch your right ear with your left hand. It will happen.

I have had both ACL's reconstructed, left rotator cuff repaired, right one needs it, but each day I wake up, put one foot on the ground, feel that it is solid, and know it's going to be a good day, and that the alternative to growing old did not happen.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Betsy,

Sorry you are having trouble with your arm. I know how frustrating it can be when you are restricted by the loss of movement in a limb. Here is hoping that you have a speedy recovery, and are released from the doctors soon.

Waynem, gives great advice about your therapy. It took me two years dealing with a wrist injury. Had the surgery and I was on the mend, and have full range of motion now.

Prayers are with you.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Best of luck Betsy,You'll be in our prayers.
You have those two mutts to do all of the fetching for you.Ha!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
teames27
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1921
Betsy,
Sure hope everything goes smoothly for you. Thoughts and Prayers too. Lots of good advice, so I won't add to it. I sure am looking forward to meeting both of you at the rally. Come even if you are still on meds. It will so be worth it to have it to look forward to.
All the best,
Terrie
teames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Did damage to my right rotor cuff about 3 years ago..very painful...do not like surgery so looked for alternatives.Took about 6 months of exercise and therapy and taking it very easy but all has been well since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote