Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
triplewhipp
Established Member

M.O.C. #5467
New Truck

We have already decided to buy a Ford 350 deisel crew cab long bed but our debate right now is dually versus single axle. We are buying our truck within the next few months with hopes of having it paid off when we retire in 4 years. We will use the truck for towing our home when we retire so we will not be in a hurry to get anywhere. We thought the single axle would be more economical ie; 4 instead of 6 tires, we could get it in and out of a car wash, etc. Does the towing weights change with a dual wheel truck? I've heard that the towing is better as far as comfort. Thanks in advance for your remarks. Kathy

triplewhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:59 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I feel the with the dual rear wheels the ride seems to be more stable, more so when pulling a travel trailer than a fifth wheel. the bad thing about a dually is parking plan on walking a little farther if you go with a dually, the nice thing about a dually is if the fits so will the fifth wheel as far as width. I don't think the tow rating is any better on a dually. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
This another question "dually vs single rear wheel" that generates a lot of opinions. The dually can't tow more weight but it does increase your carrying wight (hitch weight) by giving you a higher Axel and tire rating. There are pros and cons to each setup and it comes down to personal needs and likes as to what makes the best truck for you. Do a search on the forum for dually and you will see a string of post on this discussion.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 AM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I agree with Steve. The dually has a greater weight-carrying capacity ... a real positive with big 5ers like Montanas, in my opinion. We will likely go with a dually when we have retired and no longer need to deal with narrow city streets, small-space municipal parking lots, and snow!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Whatever works best for you. F350 PSD crew cab long bed SWD works for us just fine.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My F-350 King Ranch (2006) with single wheels (18in) did not move at all when my 3475RL was hitched up for the first time. The 2100 lb king pin weight did not cause the truck to be lower in the rear. Took all the king pin weight really easily and towing was a breeze. With the long bed, I park in about 1-1/2 parking spaces at most Home Depots--just like the contractors!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Calculate your pin weight when you buy the camper of your choice.Since you have the choice choose to be within all legal weight limits.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
We have the Ford 350 diesel crew cab long bed. We use our truck for towing our Montana 3400RL; we have had both a single wheel F-250 diesel, and two dual wheel F-350 trucks we would not be without a dual wheel truck again. We enjoy the ride when towing and we don’t get pushed around by the big truck on the freeways like we did with the single wheel. yes the single axle would be more economical i.e.; 4 instead of 6 tires, and you have two more tires you have to check the pressure on and two tires more to replace down the road, but if you get a 4X4 it give you more surface to get you out of trouble if you get stuck in wet grass. No the towing weight does not change with a dual wheel truck? You can carry more weight with a dual wheel.

We just park out away from everyone else and take up two or more spaces because no one has parking spaces for anything bigger than “Honda” and if we only had an F-150 we would still do the same thing. Does anyone remember back in the seventies?
When we had that other fuel shortage, and everyone was buying all the little cars to save on gas, then everyone started to make the parking spaces smaller because no one would ever buy a large car or truck again.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Long wheel base dually will be the most stable when towing. Depending on what you are planning to tow in the future make the decision that will work for your situation. Some (like myself) will say Dually because we have one. Others will say there truck pulls it just fine. (and probably does). But you have to decide what you will be towing and how much the fully loaded for full time pin weight will be and make the best decision based on what you are going to be doing with the truck. My choice was easier because I plan to hook the truck to the trailer and that's what 90% of its miles will be. It will see some daily driver duties in bad weather, but we plan to leave it sit most of the time when not towing.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I like my duel rear wheel, I love the stability when pulling in heavy winds. BUT! when you buy tires you got 6 sometimes 7, the duelie uses more fuel than the single rear wheel acording to the statement of others, and what I have experanced through friends that have singles. stay away from the extended cab they will beat you and your trailer to death, crew cab rides like a car nice and smooth.
these statements are my oppion though.
Good luck on your decision. OH can I ask why you didn't go with the Dura-Max and the super duper transmission. my friend just got one after trade in, OTD. 29K brand new with all the buttons and magic.

TT2
Old 05-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I guess this is going to become my standard reply to these "which is the best TV" type questions...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I Quote my reply to "Montana 34 5er" in the "Tow Vehicles & Towing" category...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

In many cases the best way to see what we are all using is to simply look at our individual signatures
or take a look at the Owners Rigs Pages for an actual photo of their recommendations.

Over the years I have found that whatever they are using is what they will recommend. Right or wrong, our male egos won't allow us to say anything else.
Good luck in your search.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Had a F-350 Dually which we loved, but the tranny went and we couldn't seem to get it repaired right in Mexico, so came back to the US and got an '06 2500HD Duramax with single rear wheels. It tows the Montana just as well as the dually did although we did have air bags installed which we really like. The additioonal plus is when we are in Mexico, we don't have to pay the additional tolls for the dually and in some cities you are banned as a truck if you have the duals. (Also love the power and the Allison transmission).
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also agree with Steves. Tow rating will be less with a dually but GVWR and payload will be higher. To me, if more GVWR and payload were needed then dually would be a good solution.

I do not agree with those who espouse there is more stability with a dually. I've towed an awful lot of miles with single rear wheel trucks and never experienced a stability problem. As far as I am concerned, getting a dually purely because you think it will give you more towing stability is buying a solution for a problem that does not exist.

Also, there are a lot of places we like to go we could not go with a dually. That is one factor in our decision.

As always, just my opinions. You should make your own decision and go with whatever makes you more comfortable and fits your needs best.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote