Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Just replaced my Rainier Tires on my 331RL with Salium ST235/80 R 16
Consider doing the same......

kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeejohn View Post
Well folks, i read all the postings on tires and i thought i could get a few miles on the original factory tires, was i wrong?? On my 3rd trip, about 3000 miles or less on the tires and one blew at about 70 mph. Did some damage to the underbody of the 331RL, and i am now trying to find a shop that will do the repairs. As i was traveling in West Texas on I10, on my way to Big Bend, i turned north to Odessa, added 6 hrs to my days traveling and purchased 4 new Goodyear Endurance 23580R16, hoping they will do the trick. Thoughts??
To the o p. In case you are not aware most ST tires are rated at a maximum of 65 miles an hour. Stating that you were going 70 greatly increases the chances of having a blowout with cheapest T tires.
Do yourself a favor and listen to the folks here who have been there and done that. Put a new set of Sailun s637 on it and your tire issues should be over
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #23
zippertom
Established Member

M.O.C. #24577
Right move to get new tires. E rated replacement tires no so much. GY Endurance is certainly better than the China Bombs (CB). I changed CB Out after seeing one of the tires turn prematurely bald after 4K miles. It was clearly a bad tire. I had the spindle, axel, bearings checked to be all okay. I made the decision to scrap all tires and went with Hercules H901 235-85R-16 Load Range G running with 95 PSI. Hercules is a Cooper partnership mfg in several plants including the U.S. It is a Commercial Grade heavy equipment tire and Comparable to the GY and Sailun G Rated tires. My suggestion would be to run the GY Endurance Tires until you again decide to change and then make the decision to get some stronger replacements.
zippertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #24
zippertom
Established Member

M.O.C. #24577
Right move to get new tires. E rated replacement tires no so much. GY Endurance is certainly better than the China Bombs (CB). I changed CB Out after seeing one of the tires turn prematurely bald after 4K miles. It was clearly a bad tire. I had the spindle, axel, bearings checked to be all okay. I made the decision to scrap all tires and went with Hercules H901 235-85R-16 Load Range G running with 95 PSI. Hercules is a Cooper partnership mfg in several plants including the U.S. It is a Commercial Grade heavy equipment tire and Comparable to the GY and Sailun G Rated tires. My suggestion would be to run the GY Endurance Tires until you again decide to change and then make the decision to get some stronger replacements.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
I thought that the Sailun tires were inferior to the Goodyear tires... When getting the MorRyde IS I upgraded to the 8K axles which allow me to move to the better tires, and I thought the Goodyear G114s were supposed to be the best...thoughts?
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondLove View Post
I thought that the Sailun tires were inferior to the Goodyear tires... When getting the MorRyde IS I upgraded to the 8K axles which allow me to move to the better tires, and I thought the Goodyear G114s were supposed to be the best...thoughts?
Search for Goodyear g614 blowouts you will find many posts.
Do the same search for a Sailun s637 blowout you'll be lucky to find any.
Not to mention that the good years are twice as expensive
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #27
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
AFAIK, the Endurance tires are load range E and are insufficient for your Montana.
I almost had the same problem. Went to a local tire dealer, said I wanted new, better tires, yadda yadda, they suggested GY endurance, I heard good things about Endutance, yadda yadda, make an appointment, get home, do research, cancel appointment! I figured they would know but they are dumb. Went with a new set of properly rated Sailun’s and looking forward to a long, safe summer travel season.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #28
zippertom
Established Member

M.O.C. #24577
I don't have first hand experience with the GY 614 tires.* * All that I have read is that they are excellent but over priced tires.* Sailun tires have proven equal to the GY G rated tires.* My research took me to the Hercules H901 tires which to me may be equivalent but better value priced tires.* *My real world experience so far with the H901 tires confirms that I made the right decision.* * *Each buyer should do their own research and decide what is best for them.* * I believe that the RV world will discover the H901for our Monte's and may bring them to mainstream awareness.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #29
SJ294
Established Member

M.O.C. #24815
Same thing happened to me with 4K on tires. blew a hole in slide, took out electric, propane line, 2 support gussets and rear jack. $7k damage. Oh by the way no warranty on tires, imagine that. I put Sailun on mine. Need to make sure your wheels can accommodate the higher pressure tires before you purchase. Wheels are stamped on back side of rim.
SJ294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #30
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
I had about 30K miles and 4 years on my Sailuns. Going out again tomorrow with a new set of Sailuns. Under no circumstances would I ever go out with any other tire, BTW the tire shop said the ones that came off looked very good . Cheap insurance stay away from the China bombs. They will wreck your rig and your day. Just my 3 cents.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #31
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
To the o p. In case you are not aware most ST tires are rated at a maximum of 65 miles an hour. Stating that you were going 70 greatly increases the chances of having a blowout with cheapest T tires.
Do yourself a favor and listen to the folks here who have been there and done that. Put a new set of Sailun s637 on it and your tire issues should be over
Without a speed letter or written speed restriction molded on the tire sidewall they default to the antiquated TRA value of 65 MPH.

With a stiff tariff threat to the off-shore tire builders, The Trump administration forced tire manufacturers to use the speed lettering system which is standard for automotive tires. They were given the option to use the lettering system or mold the actual tire speed limit on the tire sidewall. To dated, the only RV trailer tire manufacturer I know of not in compliance is Maxxis.

Bottom line; tire speed ratings are what their manufacturer says they are. They cannot put a DOT certification on the sidewall without testing. Their testing method has been approved by NHTSA.

These pictures show the only two ways a tire manufacturer can display a tire’s speed rating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IRV-2 pix file - 1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	9119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IRV-2 pix file - 3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	9120
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #32
SixSixRider

M.O.C. #25737
I had the same experience with my 381TH. One of my original Rainers blew in VA with about 3,000 miles on them. I upgraded all 7 tires (6 + spare) to Sailun S637 - Load Range G. My rims were rated for the 110 psi pressure. I also changed to the 235/80R16 size which are more readily available should I need to find a replacement in the future.
2019 Ford F350 SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
SixSixRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #33
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
AFAIK, the Endurance tires are load range E and are insufficient for your Montana.
I believe his Montana is a High Country. It has a GVWR of just a tad over 14k. E-rated tires are NOT “insufficient”. They are what comes from the factory. G-rated are a nice improvement, but not essential.

Also, if he upgrades to the same 235/16 Endurance tire, but with the 85 aspect ratio instead of the 80, he will increase the tires load -carrying capacity by a few hundred pounds.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #34
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I believe his Montana is a High Country. It has a GVWR of just a tad over 14k. E-rated tires are NOT “insufficient”. They are what comes from the factory. .
It is a HC 331 and it comes with Ranier F rated tires from the factory. If an E rated tire was "adequate" according to RVIA rules, I am sure they would have found an inexpensive E rated tire.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #35
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
It is a HC 331 and it comes with Ranier F rated tires from the factory. If an E rated tire was "adequate" according to RVIA rules, I am sure they would have found an inexpensive E rated tire.
You are correct that the factory tire on the current HC331RL is F rated. Funny that previous models of the HC with the same GVWR were equipped from the factory with load range E tires. :-)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #36
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
You are correct that the factory tire on the current HC331RL is F rated. Funny that previous models of the HC with the same GVWR were equipped from the factory with load range E tires. :-)
I suspect it is due to the fairly recent RVIA 10% reserve capacity requirement.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #37
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
I suspect it is due to the fairly recent RVIA 10% reserve capacity requirement.
When doing the math on the specs for that trailer I' pretty sure the OEM axles are vehicle certified to 6000#.

Keystone has probably got a deal they can't refuse for LRF tires and are using them on all of their trailers with OEM 6000# axles.

Using the RVIA recommendation for a 10% reserve load capacity above vehicle certified GAWRs, the ST235/80R16 LRE would qualify for service on 6000# axles. Depending on brand, they provide approx. 20% in excess load capacity reserves.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #38
Newbeejohn
Established Member

M.O.C. #23649
To continue the story, I did replace the GY Endurance with the Heartland G rated tires from Discount tire. I have done 1200 miles since putting them on and all seems good to this point. I have limited my speed to 65 mph or under, no need to push my luck. Discount did charge me the difference in the price for the GY Endurance, i think it was about $40 per tire to get the Heartlands. As some of you have reported they seem to match up with the Sailun’s for weigh, probably a little more expensive, i think i paid about $200 per tire, plus road hazard and installation etc.
Newbeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #39
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeejohn View Post
To continue the story, I did replace the GY Endurance with the Heartland G rated tires from Discount tire......
I've started to see good comments on Heartland tires, similar to what I've seen on Hercules and, of course, the Sailuns that have been around now for six years. It's all anecdotal, but still promising, so let us know if they continue to please.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #40
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Somewhat off-topic: I was looking at the Dexter Axle manual that came with my Montana. It stated that either ST or LT tires are acceptable, but if LT tires are used, you need to de-rate the load capacity of the tire by 10%.