Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #21
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Never got cold enough to winterize this year. Tired of cooler weather though - looking forward to a warmer spring.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #22
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a 2013 3582 and the furnace ducting runs from furnace to underbelly, furnace to bathroom, and furnace to main floor ducts. I took the ducting to the bathroom and split it and installed a pvc "Y" fitting and then added another foil duct long enough to reach over to the back of the convenient center and wired it to one of the studs near it. I used radiator clamps to hold the foil ducting to the "Y" and it works great.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #23
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I'm having an issue, probably makes sense to put it here. We are staying in our 5r this week, and last night , looks like the water pump froze. This happened last week took. I put a space heater down there for an hour, and it thawed and all was well. This morning, I did the same thing and after an hour, the pump ran when I turned the faucet on to check as it should. I tried again 10 minutes later, and just air coming out, The pump seems to run now like it is trying to prime, but no water. Any ideas? The pump is not cracked, and other than a valve that is dripping ( it froze and I need to replace) there does not see to be any water leaks.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #24
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ed,

You may have pulled water out of the line but still have ice in the line. Would run the furnace for awhile.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #25
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Thanks AZ, that is what I am thinking as well. I still don't know how I got froze that much, everything was buttoned up over night, all the lines are in heated areas and the
furnace has been running constantly. I knew it might get cooled down below, but figured the furnace would keep it all above freezing at least.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
Frenchy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
What do others do to keep pipes behind the convenience panel from freezing? We’re outside Ft Worth where it’s been sub freezing for 3 days. We’re using a heated water hose. Yesterday it got up to 33 and I found water running out from beneath the basement. I opened the basement and found it flooded. I pulled the panel behind the convenience panel off and found the water pump had frozen and cracked. Luckily there was a CW about 10 miles away with a replacement pump. This morning (17 degrees) I went to replace it and found all the pipes behind the panel frozen. I’ve got a small room heater in there now thawing it out. Keystone advertises 4 season protection. False advertising?
Just survived the Minnesota winter. For two weeks we were negative 30 !! I use a 90w outdoor flood light inside the belly and have it shine toward the plumbing!!! Did it after my first freeze and never happened again. I don’t think it’s false advertising but there is a lot of gaps which allows cold air in. I also had a 2 inch foam skirting!!
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #27
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
What do others do to keep pipes behind the convenience panel from freezing? We’re outside Ft Worth where it’s been sub freezing for 3 days. We’re using a heated water hose. Yesterday it got up to 33 and I found water running out from beneath the basement. I opened the basement and found it flooded. I pulled the panel behind the convenience panel off and found the water pump had frozen and cracked. Luckily there was a CW about 10 miles away with a replacement pump. This morning (17 degrees) I went to replace it and found all the pipes behind the panel frozen. I’ve got a small room heater in there now thawing it out. Keystone advertises 4 season protection. False advertising?
This is the Montana owners forum, so I assume you have tank heaters (not much help) heated basement (some help but not enough) and some of us also put a thermostatically controlled 750W/1500W heater in the basement pointed toward the back of the convenience center. I of course use heated hoses (75 ft run) and this year added heat tape from inside the convenience center down the many connections I have and over the water filter to where the heated hose starts.
One difference, I am located in a warmer location, mid Vancouver Island where this winter the temperature was seldom below freezing. We only had one day of snow as well.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #28
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
I ended up using a small space heater in the basement and problem was solved. While the storage is heated, the issue is the thermostat for the furnace is in the living space, so the cycle of the heater is controlled by the temperature up there, which is higher then it will be in the basement storage. SO that basement area can still dip below freezing from time to time, and it doesn't take much for that pump diaphragm to ice over and that's all it needs to freeze up.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #29
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
If others rigs are like mine the reason peoples pumps and pipes are freezing is this. Fortunately we wintered in Quartzite this last winter. Had we not we would most likely been in the same boat.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...6&postcount=10
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote